F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came out a few days ago. I know some questions came up about this.

2009-2010 F-150 EQUIPPED WITH AUTOLAMPS ONLY. INTERIOR BACKLIGHTING WILL BEHAVE
DIFFERENTLY THAN VEHICLES WITH CONVENTIONAL HEADLAMP CONTROLS. WHEN PARKLAMPS OR
HEADLAMPS ARE MANUALLY TURNED ON IN DAYTIME AND/OR DAWN/DUSK CONDITIONS,
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER BACKLIGHTING WILL NOT ILLUMINATE AND THE INFO DISPLAYS IN THE
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER AND CENTERSTACK WILL REMAIN BRIGHT TO PREVENT SUNLOAD
WASHOUT. ALL INFO DISPLAYS AND BACKLIGHTING WILL NOT DIM IF THE DIMMER SWITCH IS
ADJUSTED. IN ADDITION, SOME CUSTOMERS MAY BE CONCERNED THAT INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
ILLUMINATION AND INFO DISPLAYS FLICKER DURING DAYLIGHT CONDITIONS WITH PARK
LAMPS/HEADLAMPS MANUALLY ON, AS THE VEHICLE ENTERS AND EXITS LOWER AMBIENT LIGHT
AREAS, I.E. TUNNELS, BRIDGES AND SHADED AREAS. DO NOT ATTEMPT REPAIRS AGAINST
THIS NORMAL CONDITION.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Thanks GGMan, for posting this.

I actually spent about 1/2 an hour driving my truck wondering if my lights were on when I manually turned the headlights switch. I couldn't see my lights (no vehicles in front of me to reflect the lights back to me) and I didn't have any IP (instrument panel) lights on.

It's a bit disconcerting at first to not have IP lights on when you turn on your headlights manually during the day. At night this isn't an issue because the light sensor in the middle front of the dashboard (at the base of the windshield) will turn on the truck's lights (if they're on automatic) including the IP lights.

If you cover up the sensor you will get the IP lights (and headlights if on automatic) to come on but they'll shut off again once you uncover the sensor.

Thanks again for posting this. It'll be helpful to many Raptor owners (like me).

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was wondering about this too. I was going to post on here to see if anyone else noticed that the dash lights to not come on during the day with headlights turned on manually. Good to know that mine is not broken.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Gasgasman,
Every word you post is simply 'spot on' and we are listening. You are a great asset to this forum, friend. Keep'er coming..
Reddog...

·
Registered
143 Posts
My wife's grandpa has a mercury and his fix to this is to put a bottle cap over the sensor. I guess with the Raptor this could be turned into a game to see who can throw the cap off first.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes, thanks for the post. That explains it - good info.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good info.

I was wondering what was wrong with the dashboard lights the first week and thinking it would need to go to the dealer to be repaired.

However, throwing a ball cap over the mid-dash sensor mysteriously seemed to fix the "problem".:D

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm glad I found this old thread . I was just getting ready to head down to the dealer and raise hell about my crappy dash lights . This would of been me . :i_redface:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm glad I found this old thread . I was just getting ready to head down to the dealer and raise hell about my crappy dash lights . This would of been me . :i_redface:
I about did the same thing when I got my truck. I wish there was someway to adjust the sensitivity of it. It has to be pretty dark for mine to come on. Mine will also turn the headlights on automatically sometimes and not turn the dash lights on until it gets darker.:4-dontknow: I thought about getting a piece of scrap tint, and tinting the lens a little darker so it comes on quicker.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i disconnected the sensor, now the lights are working in the dash as soon as the running lights turned on. only thing now is the a/c fan comes on high sometimes, thinking the light sensor was doing dual duties one for the lights and second for the a/c. doesnt matter i want my lights to work!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
i disconnected the sensor, now the lights are working in the dash as soon as the running lights turned on. only thing now is the a/c fan comes on high sometimes, thinking the light sensor was doing dual duties one for the lights and second for the a/c. doesnt matter i want my lights to work!!!
How did you get to the plug? Does the sensor just pop out? Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks, Quiet Lunatic the info in this old thread was just what I needed. It was a little hard to find while doing a search but once I found it my question was answered.
I was thinking there was a problem with my wiring before I found this post.

Thanks again for the great info Quiet Lunatic
This forum rocks!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts