F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Just a couple quick questions. I am in Washington State. I do a lot of camping and hunting up in the Cascade range. I would say average driving on green dot "off road" roads. I am pushing 75K on the truck. I think it's time to get the shocks rebuilt based on some of my reading oh this forum.

What are some good places (locally) or send away that you would suggest?

Anyone use a "trade in program" like these guys? https://forged-offroad.com/shock-rebuilding/?v=7516fd43adaa

Seems like a good idea. Buy the rebuilds, pay the deposit, get the new shocks, replaced and then send in the old shocks.

Just looking for other peoples experience here!

Thanks Community!
-Walt

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use hygear in NY. They're only an hour drive from me. I don't think they do trades, but they do great work. Never had a problem. I had them do a maintenance rebuild at 50k miles then a repair (damaged shaft) at 90k miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a bad experience with rebuilt shocks. Remember there's no warranty so if they go it's on you not them. Been there already. Wished i would've just spent the money for new ones up front. My rebuilds died in less than a year and about 8k miles no warranty so was told sorry about your luck and ended up buying new ones anyway. Pretty expensive lesson learned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone!

Just a couple quick questions. I am in Washington State. I do a lot of camping and hunting up in the Cascade range. I would say average driving on green dot "off road" roads. I am pushing 75K on the truck. I think it's time to get the shocks rebuilt based on some of my reading oh this forum.

What are some good places (locally) or send away that you would suggest?

Anyone use a "trade in program" like these guys? Shock Rebuilding | Forged Offroad

Seems like a good idea. Buy the rebuilds, pay the deposit, get the new shocks, replaced and then send in the old shocks.

Just looking for other peoples experience here!

Thanks Community!
-Walt
I used Forged Offload and their exchange program and it was ridiculous. After weeks of waiting for them to rebuild the exchange shocks, they sent them without the hats I had ordered and not 2,000 into them the drivers side front is leaking. After that debacle, I decided to forego my $500 deposit and keep my original shock knowing that I’d likely never get it back after I spent $200 shipping them back. They threatened me with an atty and it clearly states in their policy that you may keep Your shocks but will lose your deposit. So I’m looking for an new place to spend more money and rebuild some shocks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Texas Shock Works in Hutto, TX are amazing. Alex the owner will work with you and you can upgrade to “A” grade shocks which look virtually brand new - all original decals. Spec’d mine out with refinished shafts and Schrader valves, mid perch setting.

They have extended warranties for six and twelve months at an additional cost of 100 and 200 dollars respectively.

I had the swap done onsite and with the build took 3 hours. You can get yours rebuilt or swap.

They do Viton seals as well. They are customer focused and the work is top notch. They had at least 80 sets of shocks mostly in “A” and “B” grade conditions.

I am unbiased but these guys do top quality work. All they do is Raptors and really know their stuff.

See their website at:

Texas Shock Works

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey @Mitchell Haber - Thanks again for the suggestion. With all this down time I decided to do this. I just spoke with Justin. Fantastic customer service and I am looking forward to getting these swapped out asap!

I opted in for the exchange program and will use my local Ford dealer (evergreen Ford) to do the swap. Their service department are good people with good prices - at least in my opinion. I also chose the upgraded seals and refinished shafts.

It's easy enough to move the shock to mid-perch - It's just a snap ring from what I've seen from YT videos on this once you loosed the Alan Screw and move the spring perch up one notch.

Thanks again for the recommendation!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi @Mitchell Haber and the rest of the forums.

You were correct - I did the swap program. Went to TSW website, selected my shocks and upgrades. About 1500 w/ tax and shipping. Shocks came out quickly (about a week for ground). The shocks looked in pretty good condition - about a "B" class. I also went with the re-finished shafts and seals with the 6 month warranty. I cleaned them up just a bit more before going on my 2010 Raptor. I made the appointment with Evergreen Ford in Issaquah and dropped off the truck the night before. They had it for about 5 hours, did the swap and alignment. Truck drives like a new truck. No "wallow" at all. I am pretty impressed.

I cleaned up my shocks really well and sent them back packaged in the same materials (and more that I added for padding). My return was processed promptly and they also added a nice discount for being a Veteran (with proof).

I am looking forward to a few more good years of driving until I need to do this again! It saved me a ton of money!

Thank you for the recommendation. I also HIGHLY recommend TSW. Great people, great business, great swap program. Plus they are a huge first responder / military supporters!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts