F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the Borla installed on my 2011 and while it sounds a little bit better than stock, I'm NOT IMPRESSED (especially for the money).

HOWEVER, before doing this install, I tried a couple of experiments:

1. Ran a completely open exhaust - nothing after the Y-pipe. This sounded pretty good, but was way too loud.
2. I then ran just the resonator with a turn-down. This was a bit quieter, but seemed to move the tone up an octave and, interestingly enough, introduced some drone.

So now that I've got the Borla cat-back, I'm debating on if I should delete the resonator. Based on my previous experiments, I'm thinking this should help liven up the exhaust but am concerned about the drone at freeway speeds.

That said, I'd like to get some feedback from people that have done the Borla catback on the 6.2 with and without the resonator!?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Where are you located? I have a Magnaflow system which is louder than I like and was thinking of changing to the Borla setup. If you're anywhere near DFW, TX, maybe we could work out a trade deal plus some cash to offset the difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How long have you had the Borla on your your Raptor? I have the Borla and the AFE with the 5 star tune. The Borla started off quiet and came in to it's own after driving it a while. Give it a chance.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this borla sucks!

So I come home today and my wife says "how much did you pay for that muffler!? It sounds quieter than your old (stock) one!"

Can't believe I blew a grand on it instead of just weling in a flowmaster:po:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Get the 5 star tune and a CAI. I have the AFE and if you want noise, take the cover off the intake box and it's loud! It also made the stock exhaust louder too.

Don't just give up on the Borla just yet. I want to get one myself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to get one myself.
Don't waste your money!

An electric cut out will give you that loud sound you want... Lot's of "oh shit" factor...
Ran the truck with NO exhaust - didn't sound that bad.

I want something that's not obnoxious, but I want to always be reminded that there's a 6.2L V8 in there, not some honda v6.

I'm actually happy to read this as I do want an aftermarket exhaust, specifically the Borla, but I don't want it to be ridiculously loud.
Why would you want to replace your exhaust with one that sounds the same!?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Answer to question - definately!

Went and had the resonator replaced with a straight section of stainless tubing. The Borla now sounds much better.

I'm going to give it a bit of time and see if it breaks in any (read conflicting reports online).

Overall, I'd have to say that the Borla catback would be great at 1/3 the cost, but the grand that I did spend on it, would have been better used elsewhere...

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I'm actually happy to read this as I do want an aftermarket exhaust, specifically the Borla, but I don't want it to be ridiculously loud.

This is exactly how I feel... Im the one who welded in a Flowmaster super 44 and now want the Borla Cat-Back LoL :smiley_thumbs_up:

After reading the first post I really wish I went the catback route before I can man up and install the SW headers back system myself :Na_Na_Na_Na:

Let us know what goes down with the exhaust system :3-smash:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Went and had the resonator replaced with a straight section of stainless tubing. The Borla now sounds much better.

I'm going to give it a bit of time and see if it breaks in any (read conflicting reports online).

Overall, I'd have to say that the Borla catback would be great at 1/3 the cost, but the grand that I did spend on it, would have been better used elsewhere...

Okay, now that it sounds better and you like it. Do you have a drone with the stock resonator out?

The reason I want the borla is a nice sounding exhaust with no drone and I also want to take out the stock resonator.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, now that it sounds better and you like it. Do you have a drone with the stock resonator out?

The reason I want the borla is a nice sounding exhaust with no drone and I also want to take out the stock resonator.
There was a bit of drone with or without the resonator. It is in the 1600-1800 RPM range and only under load (anotherwords, only when lightly accelerating somewhere between 50 and 60MPH). The drone that is there, is not at all bad IMO (my tires are louder), and is non-existent when cruising at any speed. Removing the resonator did not make it worse, but did make the system sound SO much better overall.

Still not overly thrilled with the cost/benefit, but am feeling much better about it after deleting the resonator.

·
Registered
696 Posts
For what it is worth I love my Borla set up, yes bit pricy but paying for the name and the rep that Borla brings with it. Not the loudest exhaut but produces a nice deep rumble without I beleive the drone you get with the other brands. Im thinking of doing just some high flow cats later down the road since headers just a bit to pricy right now, and I know that will get you some more tone out of it also and of course better flow.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I like it for their reputation and the sound I've heard on Youtube clips. I also really like the exhaust tips (yes, I know you can just buy the tips). But the whole package is great - in my opinion. I just have to save the $ to get it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gotta add some kudos to Borla. My wife took the truck out last night and I got to hear it for the first time from the outside/drive-by perspective since the resonator came out. Sounds pretty darn cool!!!

Can't wait to see what a CAI does for it in conjunction...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Why would you want to replace your exhaust with one that sounds the same!?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes you don't replace an exhaust for sound, you replace it for increase airflow and more power.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
[/QUOTE]Why would you want to replace your exhaust with one that sounds the same!?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes you don't replace an exhaust for sound, you replace it for increase airflow and more power.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, ok - good luck with the "power gains".

While you're at it, put a racing stripe on the truck - I hear that's been dynoed for +20...

The stock exhaust flows very well and with the 3" piping, you're not gonna gain shit for power by replacing the chamber in the stock muffler with the multiple pipes to the sides in the borla that cause every bit as much "bounce" if not more! That's why you don't even need a custom tune when you swap out the cat back.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts