F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my raptor is making a whining noise driving around town (not in 4x4). i can hear it and then once the motor picks up it gets drowned out. Anyone have this issue and figure out how to get it resolved. I dont think it is a power steering issuem sounds like its coming from the motor. I have like 75k miles on the truck, just had the tranny fluid replaced a month back. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
If the whining can be heard at idle in your driveway then you could try to find it with a stethoscope or long metal bar, at least a couple feet long and thin kind of like a piece of rebar. However, extreme care must be taken around the moving parts. Caution should be used around the electrical components also; the high voltage of the spark plug wires doesn't hurt so much as banging your head on the hood when you jump back. I think I've seen a stethoscope for about $5 at parts stores in the tools; not sure if they can be borrowed.

The metal bar should be placed on the desired object and your ear on the other end; better if the outer ear not in the ear. A stethoscope is placed on the ears and the pointy end touched to the object to be listened to. The direct ear contact helps eliminate external noise. If the pointy end can be unscrewed the cone can be used to narrow down where the noise is coming from.
-Start on one side and work around to the other touching the center part of the pulleys with an unmoving axle. Don't touch rotating items; very bad things can happen.
-For larger components you can touch the bar or scope to an area near the rotating assembly on the case.
-Sometimes you can isolate the noise just moving around the engine compartment so your search is narrowed.
-If the whining only comes on when the A/C is used it narrows the source down too.
-Check the steering pump. Your Raptor is several years old if you have 75K on it so the pump is suspect. The pitch of the whine gets louder when the RPM goes up and changes when you turn the steering wheel.

All the above can be done in your driveway; you may need someone to assist with turning stuff on or off though.

Hope this helps and good luck,
LZinAZ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts