F-150 Raptor Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Engine knocking update. Took my Raptor in for a leaking piñon seal and asked them to check on the engine knocking. It's so loud you can't miss it. So my dealership, Earnhardt Ford in Chandler AZ, keeps the truck for 3 days doing the piñon seal and can't duplicate the engine sound afterwards. Really???? It's there when it's cold and at operating temperature. They drove the vehicle 15 miles, got it nice and hot and reported no knocking noises. Owner to monitor and advise dealership. I'm stunned!! Guess it'll just have to blow.

New noise is coming from the front left hub. Sounds like it's trying to lock up after driving at idle speeds and then doing light acceleration while turning. A rapid set of clicking sounds comes from the hub??? WTF???

·
Registered
245 Posts
Desert Fox, I have put 2000 miles on it since the repair. Still all good. Let us know when you get it back and how it went.The difference is apparent, as you will see. Good luck!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Engine knocking update. Took my Raptor in for a leaking piñon seal and asked them to check on the engine knocking. It's so loud you can't miss it. So my dealership, Earnhardt Ford in Chandler AZ, keeps the truck for 3 days doing the piñon seal and can't duplicate the engine sound afterwards. Really???? It's there when it's cold and at operating temperature. They drove the vehicle 15 miles, got it nice and hot and reported no knocking noises. Owner to monitor and advise dealership. I'm stunned!! Guess it'll just have to blow.

New noise is coming from the front left hub. Sounds like it's trying to lock up after driving at idle speeds and then doing light acceleration while turning. A rapid set of clicking sounds comes from the hub??? WTF???
If it does it while driving up slight inclines for example freeways of highways its the same problem I had. My dealership replaced the intergrated actuator wheel hub assembly. They said that's the 4 wheel drive was prematurely trying to engage itself. That noise it is making is your system recognizing it shouldn't be happening,thus locking it back out. Its a check valve that is the initial culprit. They are rubber and go bad starting the whole issue. My dealership replaced both check valves and both hub assemblies. Have them call Ford Country In Henderson Nevada and ask for the service advisor Mike. They know its an ongoing issue.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Desert Fox, I have put 2000 miles on it since the repair. Still all good. Let us know when you get it back and how it went.The difference is apparent, as you will see. Good luck!
UPDATE: was supposed to get Raptor back yesterday, however the tech left for vacation today and was unable to finish. Sounds like they won't be able to get it to me till Monday now. It has been at Ford since 4/23/2019. They found part of the timing chain in the oil pan... Yeah... It is a good thing that I have somehow managed to remain calm throughout this ordeal, documenting everything to send a registered certified return receipt requested letter to Ford Customer Relations.

The saga continues...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Finally... Got the Raptor back and am ready to start flogging it. Preparing certified registered return receipt requested letter to Ford Customer Relations. Commencing with 3,000 mile oil changes, haven't decided on going to 5W40 yet. Ford here seems to think it was a total freak failure. Yet I know from this forum and other research that this EcoBoost timing chain issue has happened more than just once.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Pretty sure I'm nearing Lemon Law with mine. Been in 3 times for the same issue without resolution. One more and I'll be having my attorney open Ford's rectum so that I can insert this 2018 with prejudice.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I feel for you desert fox. I love the overall image of the truck but it’s not what they bill it to be. The engine sucks as mine blew up too. They replaced everything on the top end claiming that they have never experienced this before. Like I’m the only one. Sorry again. This is probably why people get a new one each year.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My timing chain was severely stretched. They had to replace the chain and the cam phasers along with all of the components associated with it. You are definitely not the only one with the same ridiculous problem. Ford had this issue with the 5.4 engine too. The sad thing is knowing the factory released this problem for us the consumer to discover and the retailer is denying the issues exists. This makes me feel like this will be the last Ford vehicle I will buy. It’s not necessarily the vehicle as much as the service. They immediately tell you nothings wrong and force you to prove it to them. So ridiculous. The Raptor needs a 5.0 in it and a regular 6 speed transmission. Ford needs to figure things out. Who the hell makes an electric suv and names it the Mustang Mach e. Hey Ford this is your biggest mistake ever. It’s not a mustang!!!!!!Not even close.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My timing chain was severely stretched. They had to replace the chain and the cam phasers along with all of the components associated with it. You are definitely not the only one with the same ridiculous problem. Ford had this issue with the 5.4 engine too. The sad thing is knowing the factory released this problem for us the consumer to discover and the retailer is denying the issues exists. This makes me feel like this will be the last Ford vehicle I will buy. It’s not necessarily the vehicle as much as the service. They immediately tell you nothings wrong and force you to prove it to them. So ridiculous. The Raptor needs a 5.0 in it and a regular 6 speed transmission. Ford needs to figure things out. Who the hell makes an electric suv and names it the Mustang Mach e. Hey Ford this is your biggest mistake ever. It’s not a mustang!!!!!!Not even close.
Hey, when you say your engine blew up was this after the Cam phasers and timing chain repair? Have you had ongoing issues since then or has it be running well? I literally just bought a 2018 2 days ago with 18k miles, and it’s already back at the dealership with the exact same issue, and what they’re saying is gong to be the same repair. I’m worried if this will be an indication of future problems....

·
Registered
245 Posts
The reference to blow up was when the second set of phasers actually broke and the spring plus other particles of metal was found laying inside the front timing cover. I didn’t explode the motor but steel parts from the phaser did explode and broke apart. They don’t have a new part so they are just replacing them with the same poor design. I’m on my third set. This time the truck runs like new. It’s still doing well. I’m waiting like every one for Ford to create bulletproof phasers. Until then I have an amazing dealership who said blow them up 100 times. We will keep fixing it. Amazingly enough they gave me the go ahead to tune my truck. In doing so it has never run better. Fast as hell. No turbo lag. I turned of the auto stop feature. Transmission shifts through every gear. No more gear skipping. Instant turbo power. I used the SCT Rev x tuner with the 5 star tune. No other mods. This truck is the way it should have been from ford.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The reference to blow up was when the second set of phasers actually broke and the spring plus other particles of metal was found laying inside the front timing cover. I didn’t explode the motor but steel parts from the phaser did explode and broke apart. They don’t have a new part so they are just replacing them with the same poor design. I’m on my third set. This time the truck runs like new. It’s still doing well. I’m waiting like every one for Ford to create bulletproof phasers. Until then I have an amazing dealership who said blow them up 100 times. We will keep fixing it. Amazingly enough they gave me the go ahead to tune my truck. In doing so it has never run better. Fast as hell. No turbo lag. I turned of the auto stop feature. Transmission shifts through every gear. No more gear skipping. Instant turbo power. I used the SCT Rev x tuner with the 5 star tune. No other mods. This truck is the way it should have been from ford.
Ah, got it. I saw a few videos that seem to suggest the phasers breaking is due to the oil level being low, but it sounds like that’s not your experience huh? Do you regret the truck? I’m honestly probably just looking for advice and potentially words of encouragement. Haha. Spending as much as I just did and having this issue immediately is a tough pill to swallow.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Oh yes. I agree it’s expensive and disappointing. Yes I believe I have to avoid the recommendations on oil intervals. I’m changing it at 3000 miles instead of Fords 10,000 mile recommended change. Also make sure you check your oil level weekly. These direct injected high heat twin turbo engines love to use oil. I truly think the oil level does have a lot to do with it. I live in Las Vegas where it gets really hot. Keep your oil fresh and at the top of the limit line. Other than that the truck runs amazing and I love driving it again. Hopefully it stays that way. I found that despite wanting to tear the heads of of the dealership guys I treated them with respect and found that sugar got me a lot further than spite. It can be frustrating. Good luck. Keep on it and if you have any further need of help Just post and myself or another member will help you. Welcome to the forum. The moderators and Big Bill are great guys. They run a good site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh yes. I agree it’s expensive and disappointing. Yes I believe I have to avoid the recommendations on oil intervals. I’m changing it at 3000 miles instead of Fords 10,000 mile recommended change. Also make sure you check your oil level weekly. These direct injected high heat twin turbo engines love to use oil. I truly think the oil level does have a lot to do with it. I live in Las Vegas where it gets really hot. Keep your oil fresh and at the top of the limit line. Other than that the truck runs amazing and I love driving it again. Hopefully it stays that way. I found that despite wanting to tear the heads of of the dealership guys I treated them with respect and found that sugar got me a lot further than spite. It can be frustrating. Good luck. Keep on it and if you have any further need of help Just post and myself or another member will help you. Welcome to the forum. The moderators and Big Bill are great guys. They run a good site.
Thanks for all of the help man. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
New guy here. First off, awesome site and forums.
Need help. Wondering if anyone can chime in. I have a 2018 Raptor with 22K miles. In the last 800 or so I'm hearing a knocking from the engine compartment. Usually most evident at idle or slow roll in cement traffic.

Spoke with a service tech at Ford and not sure I buy his response. Said it has to do with the high performance lifters on the valves.

Has anyone else been experiencing this and have any ideas what it's all about. Help / input is appreciated.
Yes, I had the same problem and the knocking will get louder if you don't fix the problem. I took my Raptor to two Ford dealerships and they tried to run out the clock (my warranty). I tried an out-of-town Ford dealership and they replaced the camshaft & sprocket for free because the vehicle was under warranty. They also paid for the rental vehicle. After the first two dealerships gave me the run-around, I contacted the Ford Headquarters and they worked with me until the vehicle was fixed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine is doing good after getting the timing chain and phasers replaced. Last time took them 8 weeks, this time took them 3 days so significant improvement there. We'll see how long the fix lasts...

21 - 37 of 37 Posts