F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just wanted to check with all the members that own 17+ 3.5L engines to see if anyone has experience a tapping/ quiet knocking noise coming from their engine? My truck is a 19' with 300 miles on it. Today it started this new unusual sound that it has never made before. It's coming from down low in the floor pan just ahead of my feet. It seems to be more driver side focused than anywhere else. It's not lifter or injectors ticking. Its intermittent and doesnt start on initial start up. Its after driving afew miles or more (Up to temp). It's only at an idle and seems to happen when the truck is point up hill or down hill. I've tried to let it idle once it's to temp in the garage and lay under it and I cant find it. It won't do it. It's all the sudden very noisy from just behind the passenger side front tire as well. It's a whining noise very similar to a fule pump. To date this truck has been very quiet and very smooth. It still idles smooth and has now power or economy loss due to these new sounds. Maybe they are normal growing pains, but I somehow doubt it. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks E.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can't help you with the knocking on your 3.5, but I had to laugh today when a teenager at the gas station looked at my '11 SCrew and asked if it had the "1.5 liter" engine. o_O

·
Registered
58 Posts
FstTbss,
Check this thread: 2018 Raptor - Engine Knocking

It might answer your question. In a forum it is difficult to determine what might be causing your noise. I have a '14 with a 6.2L and haven't experienced this knocking/tapping. In any event since it's a '19 with 300 miles you should have a pile of warranty left so take it to Ford and let them resolve it. Don't let them tell you something crazy like stuff rattling in the glove box. I can believe maybe waiting for the first oil change but let them tell you that.

Good luck with this one,
LZinAZ

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey guys I just wanted to check with all the members that own 17+ 3.5L engines to see if anyone has experience a tapping/ quiet knocking noise coming from their engine? My truck is a 19' with 300 miles on it. Today it started this new unusual sound that it has never made before. It's coming from down low in the floor pan just ahead of my feet. It seems to be more driver side focused than anywhere else. It's not lifter or injectors ticking. Its intermittent and doesnt start on initial start up. Its after driving afew miles or more (Up to temp). It's only at an idle and seems to happen when the truck is point up hill or down hill. I've tried to let it idle once it's to temp in the garage and lay under it and I cant find it. It won't do it. It's all the sudden very noisy from just behind the passenger side front tire as well. It's a whining noise very similar to a fule pump. To date this truck has been very quiet and very smooth. It still idles smooth and has now power or economy loss due to these new sounds. Maybe they are normal growing pains, but I somehow doubt it. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks E.
Well two issues I had was timing chain and cam phasers failure and the 4 wheel drive falsely engaging. You have my old issues. Read all my posts this year as we have the same engine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My dealership fixed it all perfectly and told me it’s a current problem with all new Raptors. Gen 2

·
Registered
231 Posts
Cam phasers and timing chain. Have that checked. Then have your 4 wheel drive actuators and vacuum check valves checked. All of this wAs fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks E.
ENGINE KNOCKING ON STARTUP. BRAND NEW 19 RAPTOR ONLY 700 MILES ON IT. THE KNOCK IS EASILY NOTICEABLE FROM THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE VEHICLE. THE KNOCKING IS COMING FROM THE DRIVERS SIDE FRONT OF THE ENGINE RIGHT WERE THE 2 TVV SOLENOIDS SIT. THIS OCCURS EVERY DAY. THE AMOUNT OF KNOCKING FOLLOWS AN INCREASE IN ENGINE RPM. TECHNICIAN SAID THAT ITS NOT NORMAL, BUT FORD WOULD NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT BECAUSE I HAD NO ENGINE LIGHT AND OR FAULT CODES. THEY LET ME LISTEN TO THE TRUCK ON THEIR LOT AND IT DID NOT MAKE THE SAME NOISE. This is what happening to my truck don’t know if it’s the same.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If I were you bromito 757 go to another ford dealership. Call ford customer care and start a paper trail. My knocking was the stretched timing chain slapping against the timing cover. I never had any warning light and they acknowledged that it needed to be completely torn apart and all new parts installed. My dealership that did my repair was very receptive. You want to have your service advisor contact the SVT guys at Ford in Detroit. They all know this is a problem and if they give an authorization number to your dealership then the dealership will be reinburse. Without the authorization the dealership eats it. Even if your warranty is in full effect. Unfortunately they want it to be broken and obvious or towed in to start a work order. Totally unfair. I would change dealerships.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I were you bromito 757 go to another ford dealership. Call ford customer care and start a paper trail. My knocking was the stretched timing chain slapping against the timing cover. I never had any warning light and they acknowledged that it needed to be completely torn apart and all new parts installed. My dealership that did my repair was very receptive. You want to have your service advisor contact the SVT guys at Ford in Detroit. They all know this is a problem and if they give an authorization number to your dealership then the dealership will be reinburse. Without the authorization the dealership eats it. Even if your warranty is in full effect. Unfortunately they want it to be broken and obvious or towed in to start a work order. Totally unfair. I would change dealerships.
Thanks for the reply. I did get a hold of ford service, but they seem to be giving me the runaround also. I have an appointment next week for another dealer to look at !

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks E.
@FstTbss did anything ever become of this?.
I have a muffled knocking sound that only starts after truck is up to temp in my 2019

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Bromito757,

Did anything ever become of the service visit?

Sorry for the late reply! I took my truck in to the dealership( Wynn Ford ) and opened a case with ford! They came back and told me that the engineer said after hearing the knocking noise, he was confident that it is an acceptable sound! So they closed my my case. Since I didn’t have a check engine light and no codes and the knocking is intermittent. I have had no loss of power or anything crazy! My fuel economy has drop a bit though that’s all. So I’m just waiting for something bad to happen and if it does then take the truck back!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for the late reply! I took my truck in to the dealership( Wynn Ford ) and opened a case with ford! They came back and told me that the engineer said after hearing the knocking noise, he was confident that it is an acceptable sound! So they closed my my case. Since I didn’t have a check engine light and no codes and the knocking is intermittent. I have had no loss of power or anything crazy! My fuel economy has drop a bit though that’s all. So I’m just waiting for something bad to happen and if it does then take the truck back!
Damn

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this with a New 2019. I have a 2018 and thanks to Rapdav18 was able to direct my dealership to the issue. It took months of trying to convince them (almost 13) to be exact. Finally by chance, the oil change supervisor knew the Supervisor for the maintenance department and brought him to my truck. They confirmed what Rapdav18 said about needing to hear the issue. I didn't get the run around for an engine light. I had to deal with multiple visits over the 20K miles and having "no problem identified at this time", before finally scoring a victory.

Keep at it and don't stop until they resolve the issue. Keep the paper trail going. This way if your warranty expires you'll have recourse should the repair occur outside of warranty.

Ford really needs to take ownership of this, it's a shame!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts