F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the market for a Raptor. Right now I see they are I guess back in production and people want stupid money over sticker. Luckily I do not need one right now. Plus, from what I've gathered, mid way in 2022 we should see the return of a V8 raptor.

I cannot tell if the V8 will be an alternative option, or taking over for the turbo V6? Does anyone know this yet?

Anyway, I'm kind of on the fence on what I should get, assuming there is a choice between the V8 and V6. I'm getting the Raptor mostly for the super great racing suspension. We go off road a good bit, and that's the important part. I do not need to win races on the drag strip with it. And I like that the V6 gets relatively decent gas mileage.

On the other hand, if the V8 comes out and is set to compete with the TRX, my guess also around 600hp, and if the gas mileage is only say around 2 or 3 MPG worse, then it might well be worth it to me. On the other hand, when the V8 comes out, perhaps a lot of V6s flood the market and demand will go down for the V6s, presenting a buying opportunity?

TLDR so do you guys have thoughts on if/when there will be a V8 option, which do you think you'll go for, and why?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've driven the Gen2 and just got my Gen3. The Gen3 flys compared to the Gen2, on the dyno it's been proven they added a little extra juice under the hood. Plus this new exhaust system may help and sounds WAY better now. I had a V8 Tundra TRD Pro with upgrades and my Raptor blows the Tundra out of the water. I wanted to save some MPG's because my Tundra ate oil refineries weekly! Plus I've heard rumors the Raptor R with the GT500 V8 will get single digit MPG's...no thanks. 😆

·
Registered
3 Posts
They are definitely coming with the R, but if it gets anything like the new Gt 500 as far as mileage, you gonna need a fat wallet. Also, since it will be considered a halo truck, look for some serious dealer premiums. That being said, should hold the resale really well and be best in class.

·
Registered
90 Posts
They are definitely coming with the R, but if it gets anything like the new Gt 500 as far as mileage, you gonna need a fat wallet. Also, since it will be considered a halo truck, look for some serious dealer premiums. That being said, should hold the resale really well and be best in class.
If someone can afford the new V8 they can surely afford the gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If someone can afford the new V8 they can surely afford the gas.
I see this argument a lot. And while I may be able to afford it, it doesnt mean I like the inefficient design. Also, people that can afford it, usually got there by being prudent with the way they spend.

Just my $0.02. I get that others will freely and fairly feel differently.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I see this argument a lot. And while I may be able to afford it, it doesnt mean I like the inefficient design. Also, people that can afford it, usually got there by being prudent with the way they spend.

Just my $0.02. I get that others will freely and fairly feel differently.
I don't view it as an "inefficient design." Just because it has 2 more cylinders doesn't make it inefficient.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't view it as an "inefficient design." Just because it has 2 more cylinders doesn't make it inefficient.
Sure if I get 2 cylinders more, an extra 150hp, and the gas mileage is unchanged, to the contrary, that would be a highly efficient design.

However, if they add 2 cylinders more, for 150hp more, but gas mileage goes from 20mpg to 8mpg, to me, that would be inefficient design.

until they release the new engine I guess we will not know how efficient the new v8model will be. Or how it’s loend torque will be compared to the turbo v6. The turbo v6 has a chance of better low end torque.

but as always, ymmv.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sure if I get 2 cylinders more, an extra 150hp, and the gas mileage is unchanged, to the contrary, that would be a highly efficient design.

However, if they add 2 cylinders more, for 150hp more, but gas mileage goes from 20mpg to 8mpg, to me, that would be inefficient design.

until they release the new engine I guess we will not know how efficient the new v8model will be. Or how it’s loend torque will be compared to the turbo v6. The turbo v6 has a chance of better low end torque.

but as always, ymmv.
8 MPG? That's right out of the '70's with the '76 F-150 I had with a 428 SCJ in it. The government isn't going to allow the vehicle industry to produce a vehicle that gets that kind of mileage. My Gen 1 routinely gets twice that mileage and it's 8 years old.

I would safely say that gas mileage is not a concern of 99.9% of Raptor buyers. If it is, then they need to look elsewhere. Buy the new Lightning electric. Fuel mileage and instant torque.

Based on your posts, if you're buying a Raptor, best get a 6, as your posts indicate that. Leave the V8's for those that want the V8 tradition and sound.

Enough said

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
8 MPG? That's right out of the '70's with the '76 F-150 I had with a 428 SCJ in it. The government isn't going to allow the vehicle industry to produce a vehicle that gets that kind of mileage. My Gen 1 routinely gets twice that mileage and it's 8 years old.

I would safely say that gas mileage is not a concern of 99.9% of Raptor buyers. If it is, then they need to look elsewhere. Buy the new Lightning electric. Fuel mileage and instant torque.

Based on your posts, if you're buying a Raptor, best get a 6, as your posts indicate that. Leave the V8's for those that want the V8 tradition and sound.

Enough said
Gen1 engine only had 411hp, so it’s fuel mileage probably won’t carry over apples to apples assuming the new v8 comes out producing over600hp.

The current 2021 raptor gets only 14 city, 18highway. So if the new 600+hp v8 comes in at 16mpg, I’d say that was pretty good and I’d be inclined to get it. That would be a super efficient v8.

·
2,668 Posts
Gen1 engine only had 411hp, so it’s fuel mileage probably won’t carry over apples to apples assuming the new v8 comes out producing over600hp.

The current 2021 raptor gets only 14 city, 18highway. So if the new 600+hp v8 comes in at 16mpg, I’d say that was pretty good and I’d be inclined to get it. That would be a super efficient v8.
Take a Gen1 6.2 SVT with a Whipple Supercharger 700+hp for a ride if it’s not worth a couple more mpg for the power and sound of the V8 than get the 6 for sure keep it under 65 and you’ll get efficient fuel mileage. The Raptor R will be hard to keep your foot off the right pedal. I know from experience spinning the wheels at will and hitting the gas to hear that V8 roar does not get efficient fuel mileage but it does put a smile on my face every time. Looking forward to the Raptor R “Finally”
Good luck with your decision let us know if you go with 6 or 8

·
Premium Member
Yep, its my truck...
3 Posts
…Leave the V8's for those that want the V8 tradition and sound. Enough said
This statement ^^^^ completely sums up the reason to buy the v8 vs the TTv6. Tradition and sound is all you get, so enjoy it! Me, I’ll go for the smaller turbocharged engine every time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Take a Gen1 6.2 SVT with a Whipple Supercharger 700+hp for a ride if it’s not worth a couple more mpg for the power and sound of the V8 than get the 6 for sure keep it under 65 and you’ll get efficient fuel mileage. The Raptor R will be hard to keep your foot off the right pedal. I know from experience spinning the wheels at will and hitting the gas to hear that V8 roar does not get efficient fuel mileage but it does put a smile on my face every time. Looking forward to the Raptor R “Finally”
Good luck with your decision let us know if you go with 6 or 8
i enjoy all that, butfor me, if mpg during “normal use” goes down to 8mpg, I’ll probably go v6. I don’t mind if mpg goes down to 2 during “spirited” driving. I agree, during those times it’s worth the price. But the reality, for me, is spirited driving will happen 1-5% of the time, and the rest of the time it needs to be transport.

I get for many others, their sense of importance on the performance and sound may trump all other features. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts