F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have placed my preorder last week and was wondering what suggestion would the Ford Performance group give on vehicle break in? How was the previous model's break in? Any special stipulations to follow? What are other member's thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think "break in period" is a thing of the past......long past. I get in them and drive them like I stole it. Just sold my '14 Raptor with 80,000 miles with no issues at all. It was driven hard from day one as all my trucks and cars are. Just my opinion and experience.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Last time I have ever heard of a break in period was when I was a kid back in the 80's rebuilding motors in my garage. You would drive it for so long than change the oil and you were go to go. I believe these new cars are ready to roll as is.

·
Registered
909 Posts
For sure engines built today have tighter tolerances and are manufactured to higher standards due to better ability to do so.

I agree with vary your speed for 1000 miles and also, drive it like you stole it. I say break it in well. Don't baby it too much. I'll be driving mine 850 miles home when they finally build and ship her.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Read the manual. I always do my best breaking motors in on new cars. On my Evo X and then my GTR I went easy the first 1,000 miles. No WOT and kept the revs below 5-6k FOR THE MOST PART. I'll probably do the same with the new Raptor if/when I get one

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For sure engines built today have tighter tolerances and are manufactured to higher standards due to better ability to do so.

I agree with vary your speed for 1000 miles and also, drive it like you stole it. I say break it in well. Don't baby it too much. I'll be driving mine 850 miles home when they finally build and ship her.

Awesome thank you! So are you one of the folks that called a dealer 900 miles away so you could pay MSRP?!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Awesome thank you! So are you one of the folks that called a dealer 900 miles away so you could pay MSRP?!
We just had a dealer post a '17 Raptor for sale ,fully loaded screw for 10,000.00 over sticker , And his post was deleted . Not before some subtle comments that were derogatory were expressed !
Guilty I am ! lol
I estimate it would cost Jeff about 500.00 to get that Bad Boy home. Not bad considering what the going rate for new '17s are !

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yeah I'm looking at an 850 mile 12 hour drive.

I'm American Air Platnum with enough points for a one way ticket 8 times. If I do an overnight my Hilton Honors will get me a room for 10 nights on points. Too bad I don't have any fuel points.

At an average of $2.15 a gallon, about $100 in fuel. A nice road trip and a few meals. I saved between $5-15k on ADM and I get a cool adventure taking her home. I may be crazy but I'm not stupid. I'm beginning to get anxious, and I'm in no rush.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid msrp in Moline, IL BUT the dealership made me put $10,000 non refundable deposit toward it. And I've done business with them before. I guess I should be happy about my 50 mile trip when it comes in. Weird about the deposit though. I've only seen guys say they do 3k or so. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I paid msrp in Moline, IL BUT the dealership made me put $10,000 non refundable deposit toward it. And I've done business with them before. I guess I should be happy about my 50 mile trip when it comes in. Weird about the deposit though. I've only seen guys say they do 3k or so. Your thoughts?
WOW!! $10k deposit!! Never heard of a deposit that high. I ordered a Raptor on 07/21 at MSRP and didn't have to place a deposit at all. The demand is there so if I don't take delivery the dealer will have it sold with one phone call. He has 17 initial allocations and all were sold by the 1st of October. I got #1

·
Registered
356 Posts
Wow 10k did you order a super cab base model? My buddy ordered a super cab and had to put down 2k I ordered a super crew zero down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow 10k did you order a super cab base model? My buddy ordered a super cab and had to put down 2k I ordered a super crew zero down.
Nope ordered the SCrew. The dealership was allocated 5 and we were the last of the 5. Color was Magnetic in a 802a package. Didn't do the moon roof. Who is going to be looking at the sky when your foot is mashed to the floor having a good time? Maybe to shoot from the top of it... but that's what the truck bed is for right?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Another Magnetic :p
Color choice perfect again ! lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah I'm looking at an 850 mile 12 hour drive.

I'm American Air Platnum with enough points for a one way ticket 8 times. If I do an overnight my Hilton Honors will get me a room for 10 nights on points. Too bad I don't have any fuel points.

At an average of $2.15 a gallon, about $100 in fuel. A nice road trip and a few meals. I saved between $5-15k on ADM and I get a cool adventure taking her home. I may be crazy but I'm not stupid. I'm beginning to get anxious, and I'm in no rush.
Plus, engine will be nice and broken in by the time you get home :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Break period ring seating is probably a thing of the past. What does need break in IMHO is the differential. First 1000 miles should have varied engine speed, dont use cruise control and drive it medium hard. At 1000 miles, consider oil and differential change and then hammer it.

I have a 2010 6.2, #6 off the line. 145k miles. Production slated for Jan 24 on my 2017.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts