F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that GM and Dodge have an AWD mode in the center transfer case. I think it's a great idea for guys like me who live in snow country and a definite evolution of the typical 4WD system.

Who here likes the idea and would like to see it made or thinks that the traditional locked center is the way it should stay?

·
Registered
137 Posts
four out of the five cars I've owned have been AWD. I am a true believer in having this option for safety and performance. Maybe not full time AWD but at least the option via dash switch would be nice. 50/50 displacement over 60/40 though so you know you've got equal power in the front and rear.

·
Registered
290 Posts
As long as you can fully deactivate it and go 2wd or 4wd at your own that would be fine. While I am sure it can be safer in many situations, there are times when you want to “force” it one way or the other. Also it definitely is more “fun” to play in the dirt and be able to spin the back side around.

My sport trac was not a true AWD, more of a auto switch to 4wd whenever it felt wheel spin. The problem with that is it was no fun to “play” with. It was a safe vehicle though I will give it that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that's kind of what I mean. A lockable Torsen kind of like what the 4-runner has would be great. A 60/40 torque split might be more fun, but 50/50 would probably be the most practical though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
my van is AWD that thing is a beast in the snow, i can do some awesome donuts in it l, and the rear spins first so i can fish tail it a little but when the front diff locks you better be planning on goin where the wheels are pointed , i would much rather it be un lockable .

·
Registered
137 Posts
The bottom line is it's good to have the option. For Ex: On my '08 SRT GC there is a factory switch to turn off the ESP. However, I added an ESP mod which not only does the same but also shuts down the ABS and ESP bypass. This gives me total free reign at the flip of a switch. Options, Options Options.

I agree, no auto sensing AWD...I don't trust it and don't want it. It's either all options, only AWD or nothing. The way I see it, this truck will have the option we're looking for here since you'll be able to cruise at 70MPH in 4 high and 100MPH in 2WD via rear diff lock. On another note, I saw an F-150 driving home today with 4 doors and wish the raptor had same.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts