F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys havent check in for month now was out with the new truck. absolutely love the truck until today.

I went to pull my car trailer out of the mud in 4x4 low backed up in 2x4 hooked up to trailer then shifted to N switched to 4x4 low and all I get is a whining noise and gears just spin.

the 4x4 high works, 2x4 works but 4x4 low has nothing any ideas. to me sounds like a gearing issue maybe computer.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Get it in to the dealer...The low range planetary gear set is engaged by a servo motor and it sounds like this is where your prob. is.
Because it comes out of high this tells me there is some movement but the engagement shaft isn't moved far enough to make the low engagement. Probable a bad motor...
Have you tried cycling it again..There is the possibility that there was a gear set miss aliment that prevented full engagement and it may actually still work fine.
There is no sincro on the low side of the transfer case just the 4 high..
Sorry to here this...
Let us no what you find..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the way for service

Talked to dealer and until they get it they cant say for sure. Sad to see it go so early but I guess with all new vehicles theres gonna be something wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just traded my 4x2 Lariat for an FX4. This is my first 4wd truck, and I want to know how to use it. It is my understanding that 2H is for normal, everyday driving, 4H for normalish driving on non-paved surfaces, and 4L is for heavy pulling in low traction areas (like pulling a boat out of the launch.)

Is this the general explanation?

Is there anything special that I need to know? I think that I can flip between 2H and 4H as I drive down the road, or from a stop, right? What about 4L? And does reverse change anything?

I probably won't use 4xd at all. We get ice/snow here 2-3 DAYS a year. Otherwise, I'll probably just switch to 4H when I drive down my parents 2 mile white rock gravel road. I don't really need it, but I have it so......

Any help is appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts