F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen gasgasman mention in another thread that you shouldn't run 4WD on dry pavement. I've always heard this. Whats the technical reason?

·
Registered
101 Posts
You should really never run 4wd on pavement...period!...That is unless it's icy, snow-covered, etc., or if you don't TURN. A truck's 4wd set-up is different than that of a typical AWD set-up. An AWD is set up with a certain amount of "slip" in it to make turning safe on the transmission. A 4x4's differential is set up to NOT allow much slip in order to get more traction to the ground. When you turn in 2wd, the inside wheel turns fewer revolutions than the outside wheel; when you're in 4wd, they will turn the SAME amount of revolutions, therefore if there is no "slip" provided by the dirt (vs. pavement), that torque builds up and can cause a tremendous amount of damage. Try it at a very slow speed...put your truck in 4wd and drive straight on pavement...nothing. Then try to turn...it will be very hard and you will hear the tires "barking" trying to achieve some slip. For what it's worth, if your electric differential ever gets stuck in 4x4, back-up while turning (might have to try both directions)...sometimes torque can still get built up and it won't allow it to disengage until that tension is relieved. I've never seen it happen in a Ford, but I have seen it happen to a Chevy...my $0.02.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking it would have something to do with tire rotation. But I was thinking more along the lines of front vs rear.

Thanks for the explanation!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts