F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's hear your best guess for horsepower and torque from the new 6.2L Boss engine and if you're feeling extra brave you can even provide some RPM numbers to go with! Let's see how closely someone here can nail it down.

Good luck! :smileup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
If u ask any professional rally racer on whats important torque or hp, he would say torque, torque, torque.

My guess is 420 hp, 440 torque..we need more to stablise the over wheight truck over sharp corners at top speed.

Please ford svt team, do not lets down on torque out put,any thing above 450 is a plus..

·
Registered
30 Posts
hope SVT team read these words,

when u r building a sport car or truck, u are dealing with professional drivers who you might characterized as emotional customer who does not care about price tag, only his mind is focusing at the performance parameters.

these are my assistment of the Raptor SVT at current stage:

1-we need just a little bit of ground clearnces. about 2-4 inches more..the back diffrencials are to low & unprotected by metal sheet, drivers might break it if they hit a rock or sharp stones.
2- we need more torque...440- 450 optimization to steer the truck on a sharp corners at top speed. ECU trigger at certain med to high speed level.
3- we need a semi-manual shifting gears mode....like the same auto transmission developed for Rang Rover by Ford during Ford ownership & technical supervisory legacy.

Also, I have more ideas for the SVT team at Ford..if they listen to a real professional voices who will put the SVT Raptor into extreme driving conditions & multi- desert landscape. I think, Raptor concept is a good start and surely will lead Ford into a market niche that really need to be served professionally. The Raptor concept surely will evolve into many faces of professional stages...the semi- rally- safari stage is next hopefully.

I hope the SVT team address these issues before they face the world with long waiting 6.2 version SVT Raptor.

Top gear.
25 years of rally racing experience & off road 12,000 miles of grand sahara crosser.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since initial estimates were 425/425 and the latest literature suggests 400/400, I'm guessing somewhere in the middle.

415HP @ 5700
425Lbs./Ft. @ 3700

Because the 5.4L has a nice torque curve and good power availability at low RPM, it makes a nice truck engine. I think Ford will continue this with the 6.2L Boss and it will have a lot of power under the curve. It's this total available power rather than peak numbers that will make it will perform like a Chevy with 450HP.

I can't wait to see!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ford could have put the V10 in the Raptor.
It is roughly 4" longer than the V8. There's plenty of room for it.
The V10 wouldn't work out so well becaus it would make the Raptor too nose heavy and wouldn't allow it to fly flat over jumps. Also it would be much harder to keep it cool without the giant radiator that comes in the Super Duty and there would also be less air flowing around the motor to cool it by convection. On top of that, it would probably get single digit fuel economy numbers, which hurts Ford's CAFE and would probably also effect sales some. The 6.2L Boss is replacing the 6.8 Triton V10, there's no way around that. Sorry if that bursts your bubble:shar:.

·
Registered
126 Posts

I would guess 400 hp at 5500rpm
And 400lbft at 4000.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
roser - Thanks for that engine information, but I'm expecting a bit more. Ford is being very tight lipped about this engine that's for sure.

I looked up the specs on the Chevy 6.2L and in standard trim it makes 403HP @ 5,700 RPM and 417lbs./ft. @ 4300. I think the Ford 6.2L Boss will beat it on both counts, at least by a little. Regardless what it's rated I'll expect stronger performance from the Ford because it should have more power available below the peak numbers. It will have more torque at lower RPM than the Chevy, at least that's the way Ford's have been for a while and I expect it to continue here.

·
Registered
54 Posts
:beerchug: Here's to wishful thinking! Im holding out just as much as the next guy. I hope Ford is just under-rating it for now. But they've always been lower on the HP side of things and lb/ft...

But lets still keep the fingers crossed!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well since my 2000 lightning was rated at 360 hp and 440 torque. And it made to the wheels 369 rwhp and 466 torque stock (well cone filter and a cat back.)

Being optimistic I'm going to say 440 hp and 480 torque 6.2 motor should have a lot more HP & Torque then the 5.4 There is no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
jkstang78,

I think you are being a bit optimistic with those numbers - and there's nothing wrong with that, but from a naturally aspirated engine I'm expecting less. I'm sure the 6.2 will be a significant step up in performance from the 5.4 but, and maybe I'm wrong, I'm expecting quite a bit more horsepower than the 5.4, not a TON more torque. The 5.4L is a torque rich engine, with what - 385lbs./ft.? The 6.2L is designed with a larger bore and shorter stroke, most likely it will have 410-425HP and maybe 425lbs./ft. torque. I just don't see the new 6.2 having amazing power numbers in factory Raptor trim, Raptor R - sure!

The 6.2L Boss as seen in the Raptor will be a truck engine first, good torque, and quite a bit more HP than we're used to seeing in a Ford truck engine (save the Lightning of course!). but it's not built to be a "RACE" engine in factory trim. My understanding of the 6.2L platform is that it was designed with lots of performance potential, and it will deliver. The 6.2L Boss engine in the Raptor will be a great engine with a TON of potential, from new cams and twin turbo's, to four valve heads, but from the factory.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FINALLY!

411 HP @ 5,500 RPM and 434 lbs./ft. @ 4,500 RPM! Fantastic!

Top Gear, VTwinRocket, and myself were all pretty close, but VtwinRocket and myself were way off on where that peak torque would occur.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts