F-150 Raptor Forums banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Take a video of it and post it up. I have some very slight ticking but it's nothing compared to the injector noise my M3 had so I don't even really pay attention to it.

With a video, someone may be able to help identify it...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Took mine in yesterday,they said it was the fuel injection makeing the ticking sound... hmmmm

Intresting I dont think mine is fuel system... It ranges in tone some time its just like a lifters ticking and other times its like a metal on metal exhaust sound for 10 or so seconds. It just sounds like its not getting enough oil quick enough. Mine will be going i to the nearest ford dealership when I get back to the states

·
Registered
80 Posts
Try running a couple tanks of premium fuel through it. It could be just a piece of carbon caught in one of your lifters.
What? Since when does fuel of any sort have anything to do with lifters? A lifter tick is generally an lash adjustment issue with the rocker/arms or an internal failure of the lifter body or roller tip. If the valve is not seating properly because of "carbon" then you might have a tick too maybe.

Its also possible for an exhaust leak to occur when cold which diminishes when expansion from heat makes everything expand.

The 6.2l has had a history of broken roller rocker shafts I believe which there has been a TSB issued for but I don't know the number for it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
ok so been a while about this but mine still makes a ticking noise and its not loud enough for my video cam to pick it up. I took it to a ford dealorship and they did nothing for me. Said wait for a recall on it. My CPV is fine they said what could it be i am looking for another dealorship to take it into to have them look at it. Any help would be great i have 2100 miles on a 2011.

·
Registered
435 Posts
So i took my truck in yesterday for a ticking noise from engine and they said they ran a bunch of test and everything came back fine. Said the noise i was hearing is the variable cam timing working from the computer. Does that sound right or just bs they feed me when they couldnt figure out whats wrong with it? The noise is not loud but with low radio noise you can hear it up to about 50 mph.

·
Registered
411 Posts
OK, so I have been reading (on this site) that the engine rattling noise on the 6.2L during hot start up can be mellowed by idling the truck for a minute before shutting the motor off (Cam Phasers), this has helped my Raptor with the hot start engine rattle (sounds like it needs oil in those lifters) but today HOLY CRAP it was really loud then it went away after 15-20 seconds, it was really bad and I almost shut the motor off in fear that a piston was coming through the block.
the rest of the day it ran fine and sounded good....WTF !!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Rally Raptor , i was the one that posted in another thread about letting the truck idle for 1 min before shutting it off. I'm glad someone else noticed it reduces the noise too. Every once in a while mine will do a heavy knock also, like described for about 5 seconds . It's definatly a weak lash adjuster, to find which one would be difficult. I think some people end up with all good ones and never hear a noise, but most have one that is weak in their engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does anyone else have an engine rattle on start up. Its not all the time, prob 1 in 10 start ups. Its only for about a second too. Can't tell if its an exhaust leak or something in the heads. Stock manifolds, factory recommended oil, engine has 6K miles and has done it since new. Any help would be appreciated.
Yep. My 2012 has it too. Seems to happen after it has been driven, parked and then started about an hour later. It's kind of a loud rattle/knock and only lasts about 10 sec or so. Doesn't happen all the time but makes me cringe whenever it happens. Definetly not the same as the Injector or valve tick that we all hear. Mine is going into the dealer for a recall and to have like 6 other issues looked at. My guess is the answer will be " Cannot duplicate customer concern, operating to design intent". :doh:

·
Registered
149 Posts
dealership told me it was normal for the rockers to to tick on start up bc of a lack of oil pressure and once engine starts up and pressure goes up, the ticking stops.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just started hearing a tick while I am stopped at a stoplight or stop sign. Once I start going, no ticking sound. It sounds like it is coming from the left side (sitting in driver seat looking forward). Thought it was just a loose screw holding in CAI at first, but that wasn't it. Is this what you guys are hearing?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I took my 2011 in for a tick as well. I especially noticed it when going through a drive thru. Corpus Christi Champion Ford had my truck for 2 days. My noise was coming from the exhaust hitting the protective shielding right in the middle of the chassis (front). The dealership put a metal clamp around the exhast and shield and the tick went away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My rough idle isn't so much heard as it is felt. Dealership said they check for computer faults. Nothing appeared. I know there is no damage - truck is perfect. I suggested checking the engine mounts. When you sit in the driver's seat you can felt is loping. Stay tuned for more...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had my 2012 for 4 months now and it has 13000 miles and it has ticked from day one! as a matter of fact my 07 expedition and 07 f150 have the same problem. maybe its a ford thing!

41 - 60 of 90 Posts