F-150 Raptor Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
So, my 2012 F-250 6.2L continued to intermittently make the startup rattle and it continued to bother me. The truck never ran any different, and the rattle never seemed to get worse. Same routine, somewhat random: might do it a few times a day, then might not do it for a week or two. Finally, I went to the dealer (again) to discuss. Basically I got nothing...they just want to tell you it is normal, injector noise, piston slap, cam phaser, blah blah. I had 20k miles on mine, always dealer oil changes every 3k miles. Ended up getting an excellent trade for a 2015 F-350, gas 6.2L again. I figured this noise, probably from weak lifter issues, would be solved by now. And so for the first 2 weeks and 400 miles, no noise! Then, it made the same startup rattle as my old 2012. Now its at 600 miles and it did it one more time last night. So Ford has not corrected this problem.

Couple of things are different with this engine. Air intake is visibly different under the hood, and the starter motor is different. Engine cranks over more slowly. Engine overall is considerably quieter. My old 2012 used to make an air whistling sound when it was very cold outside. This one does not (new intake design, maybe?) But, the startup rattle was the primary reason for trading...and it is still here. I've started a "rattle" log which documents mileage, outside temp, type of driving before the vehicle rattled, and finally, how long it sat. I only have two entries, but in both cases the temp was about 30F and it sat for about an hour. Hopefully I can develop a pattern to help diagnose this noise. However, if it truly is as random as where the cam stops when the engine is shut off, good luck, right? I also rationalized the slower cranking starter as Ford's way of fixing the startup rattle: a longer crank time helps build up oil pressure before the engine actually starts. Too bad it doesn't work. If it cranked a few more times it would, though.

Just as an aside, this truck seems to have better power delivery...same output, but maybe better throttle response and definitely the transmission shifting is smoother (also same trans, but probably better programming and I believe they have a different torque convertor in it).

I really was leaning towards the 6.7L diesel this time; I like the 6.2, is powerful and smooth, doesn't have all the diesel issues of price, maintenance, and potential issues, but man this noise sucks. The embarrassment factor is very high when this engine makes the startup rattle.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I totally cured the rattle with SW headers and Lightning side exit. It is so loud on start -up you will never hear the rattle again. My good friend has a 2011 harley edition and has never had any noise he has 30,000 miles on his truck. So its hit or miss if you get a weak lash adjuster. But letting it idle for 30 sec to 1 min helps cut the rattle down.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the same issue. I actually posted a thread about this. Im going to record it and send it to my buddy who's a master tech along with my servicer writer at ford. Went to do it this morning and of course it didn't do it..lol
it sound like a lifter is dry and when it builds up oil pressure it goes away. It is very random. If it is going to do it it will be first thing in the morning after sitting all night. I can't recall a time where it has done it during the day. The tick is only on start up and last maybe 2-3 seconds then it goes away. Its not a injector, or AC comp....those are very distinct sounds. This sounds just like i mentioned. If it were anon sector or the AC it would do it all the time...this tick can happen every day for a few days then not do it of day or so. Like i said i went to make my video this morning and it started up and was as quiet as a mouse. But both saturday and sunday morning it made the noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not a raptor owner but I have a 2011 with the 6.2 that has had a random cold start rattle for the last year. Ford is saying its normal. Had it into three different dealers. Worst is after it has sat for several hours. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bkG-oYhIz04 link is youtube video I just put up. Is this what everyone else is hearing as well??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed the same rattle on my truck on occasion as well. I have a 2013 Raptor 6.2L with 44,xxx miles on it. The noise has happened on startup as described here many times, at different temperatures didn't seem to matter. The only thing I've done to prevent it that seems to work is when starting the truck I turn the key on so you can hear the pumps engage but don't turn it far enough to initiate the starter. After a couple of seconds I finish turning the key to start the engine. When i do this sequence (which only take a couple seconds longer than just jumping in and cranking it) I don't hear the rattle. It seems to work 99.9% for me. My rattle doesn't appear to be as bad as some of the other guys on here but hopefully this is a solution for most of you.

I'm not a mechanic and don't know what it actually engages or what fluid it pumps when turning the key on without starting the motor but I feel like it is priming something and it is preventing the rattle in my truck.

Does anyone on here know what this is doing / engaging when turning the key on without going far enough to start the engine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem. I think it is the clutch plate on the AC. seems to do it more often when the climate control is on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2010 6.2l has a tick on cold startup every time, but I have replaced the cast pistons with forged pistons. I'm told the forged pistons have a looser fit, as they expand more than the cast pistons. The noise totally goes away as the engine warms up. I'm told this is normal with forged pistons, but I don't think Ford has changed to forged pistons, so you must have something else going on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have it to, exactly as you describe. 2014 with 3350 miles, so funny, first impression was a exhaust leak!
I have it to, exactly as you describe. 2014 with 3350 miles, so funny, first impression was a exhaust leak!
I have the same issue on cold start, a friend of mine suggested that I try amsoil. I have to say that the only time it ticks now is when it needs a oil change and it also help with fuel efficiency and better take off power. I would suggest on trying amsoil

81 - 90 of 90 Posts