F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems like a lot of people are interested in a set of Stainless Steel Shorty headers for their 6.2L Raptor. In fact, we have been asked by a couple customers to make them up specially for their trucks.

Stainless Works can build you anything!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkVaihQAW60

NEGATIVES OF SHORTY HEADERS

1. Less power than a full length long tube header system with high flow cats

BENEFITS OF SHORTY HEADERS

1. Less Expensive than a long tube header (HALF THE PRICE)

2. Reuse your stock cats so you should not need any updated tune (still would be beneficial)

3. Pass Echeck in every state

4. Should be easier to install. (long tubes on the Raptor are a 8-10 hour job)

5. Attach to any manufacturer's catback (though I don't see that as a benefit :Na_Na_Na_Na:)

6. As with all Stainless Works products, these will be 304L Stainless Steel (basically cannot rust) and come with a lifetime warranty

Depending on your goals and requirements, Shorty headers might be the way to go for you.

We do not have any R&D done on these headers as of yet, but have seen the interest. Having installed so many sets of long tubes, we are familiar with the truck and are estimating a price of $700-$750 per set. Coating would be available at an added cost of $350.

For reference, long tubes come in at $1490 for factory connection and $1590 for an X pipe to connect to a full dual exhaust. Add $450 for coating. SHORTIES ARE ABOUT HALF THE PRICE OF LONG TUBES

Stainless Works really doesn't make many shorty headers. With that in mind, this isn't a product we would normally bring to market unless we knew the demand was there. Therefore, we are asking for 10 committed buyers before taking this to the R&D step. We are only asking for a $125 deposit per person. Once we hit 10 people, we should have a product for you within 4-6 weeks. Don't forget, these will fit more than just the Raptor and should work for the other 6.2L trucks as well.

We did this same 10 person group purchase with the Lightning-Style exhaust on the SCAB and actually had it finished in 2-3 weeks. Those guys are just getting things installed now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSN9qL2Lyks&hd=1

-Jason

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
We will run this for about 30 days!

Who is in?

THE TENTATIVE LIST
1. Mr.Raptor
2. Chnhab - DEPOSIT PAID
3. Lance Vincent
4. HadaWRX
5. onebadf150
6. JamesDH - DEPOSIT PAID
7. RaptorPeru
8. cups - DEPOSIT PAID

THANKS GUYS
-Jason

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I guess I'm number 2. LOL figures. Count me in.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If I did not have long tubes on mine now, would have been interested. I do know many SuperDuty guys would be interested, if they will work on those trucks.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much less HP?
Generally we see 30hp gain on an untuned Raptor with our long tubes and exhaust. A tune helps get you to about 40-45hp.
Bolting on a set of shorties is probably going to get you 10-15hp since they would flow A LOT better than the stock manifolds but aren't quite long enough to scavenge like a set of long tubes.

We can start taking deposits once a couple more guys have chimed in and said they are interested! Lets get this going guys!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just 10 total names to get it built. If it looks like we can get even more guys on board, we may be able to make it a little cheaper too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Generally we see 30hp gain on an untuned Raptor with our long tubes and exhaust. A tune helps get you to about 40-45hp.
Bolting on a set of shorties is probably going to get you 10-15hp since they would flow A LOT better than the stock manifolds but aren't quite long enough to scavenge like a set of long tubes.

We can start taking deposits once a couple more guys have chimed in and said they are interested! Lets get this going guys!
I guess you would not really know until the Shorties are built and tested, but would drone be a concern with shorties? Some here have remarked about the drone with LT headers.

Would the shorties be quiter than the LT headers? Would your "stealth" attachment (part number SI-3258) work with the Shorties?

Also, fuel efficency gains with the Long Tube Headers have been reported between 1 and 2 MPG. Is there any way to estimate fuel efficiency gains? I suppose if horse power gains from the shortly's are between 33% and 50% (10hp/30hp or 15hp/30hp) against those of the Long Tube headers, than would it be fair to say fuel efficiency gains would be along the same lines?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I guess you would not really know until the Shorties are built and tested, but would drone be a concern with shorties? Some here have remarked about the drone with LT headers.

Would the shorties be quiter than the LT headers? Would your "stealth" attachment (part number SI-3258) work with the Shorties?

Also, fuel efficency gains with the Long Tube Headers have been reported between 1 and 2 MPG. Is there any way to estimate fuel efficiency gains? I suppose if horse power gains from the shortly's are between 33% and 50% (10hp/30hp or 15hp/30hp) against those of the Long Tube headers, than would it be fair to say fuel efficiency gains would be along the same lines?
I can say from my last 4 trucks with shorty installs that I have never had drone. I had LT's on my first truck and I loved the sound but hated the drone!!! My ears would bleed after a long trip with the LT's(figuratively) MPG is 95% how you drive the truck period! In this world of 4&5 buck gas dont you think that if headers really did add 1/2/3 MPG's the auto manufacturer would have them? Claim about MPG increase are just that claims... I have seen no real world proof. The best I ever had with my first Raptor was .08 mpg better and that really was just driver influence...
Shortys have been out for the 5.4L for many years..

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can say from my last 4 trucks with shorty installs that I have never had drone. I had LT's on my first truck and I loved the sound but hated the drone!!! My ears would bleed after a long trip with the LT's(figuratively) MPG is 95% how you drive the truck period! In this world of 4&5 buck gas dont you think that if headers really did add 1/2/3 MPG's the auto manufacturer would have them? Claim about MPG increase are just that claims... I have seen no real world proof. The best I ever had with my first Raptor was .08 mpg better and that really was just driver influence...
Shortys have been out for the 5.4L for many years..
I really appreciate your input, Rep points given.

One of our traders here said the same about Shorties (re low to no drone), he has been imploring me to call JBA about this, but as they are not a forum sponsored vendor, I passed.

I would like better gas milage, but my greatest concern herre is greater travel distance during a SHTF scenereo on one tank of gas. My 90 acre bug out location is 400 miles from my house (near a lake in upstate of NY, close to PA and OH - Amish country with the closest nuke plant (Perry 1) more than 90 miles away). Of coarse, having one 5 gallon gas can in the bed will trump a possible 2 MPG increase on my 26 gallon tank...

My concern with drone/noise is based on my young children being able to fall asleep during long road trips. If they can't fall asleep or watch video's, we would be forced to use my wife's car (except in a SHTF scenereo)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I really appreciate your input, Rep points given.

One of our traders here said the same about Shorties (re low to no drone), he has been imploring me to call JBA about this, but as they are not a forum sponsored vendor, I passed.

I would like better gas milage, but my greatest concern herre is greater travel distance during a SHTF scenereo on one tank of gas. My 90 acre bug out location is 400 miles from my house (near a lake in upstate of NY, close to PA and OH - Amish country with the closest nuke plant (Perry 1) more than 90 miles away). Of coarse, having one 5 gallon gas can in the bed will trump a possible 2 MPG increase on my 26 gallon tank...

My concern with drone/noise is based on my young children being able to fall asleep during long road trips. If they can't fall asleep or watch video's, we would be forced to use my wife's car (except in a SHTF scenereo)
I hear ya about the kids sleeping in the back we all want that right!!! ha ha... If they can sleep in the truck now they will be able to still sleep in it after shortys are installed. The cat back is where you will make the biggest sound change... I had shortys on all my F150 along with my own installed 50series 3 chamber flowmaster muffler and never had trouble with the kids sleeping... As for MPG/HP/TQ, anytime you help the gasses get out faster you will improve. If I was making this thing a racer and needed every single amount of HP/TQ them I would want LT's without cats... But like you I am looking for a bit more HP/TQ and small amount of sound... along with the ability to pass any emission test

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just wanted to let you guys know we are still excited about this. I didn't chime in with answers since they were handled so well by Mr. Raptor.

He is right about sound and drone. There will be some change in sound compared to stock but the shorties should not cause any negative drone sounds.

I'm going to start sending PM's to those of you who said you were in. Let's get this thing rolling.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts