F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,122 Posts
:smileup: Sounded great, nice mod. thanks for sharing :smileup:

To all the techs out there -

Are there any negative side effects to a throttle body spacer ? Is it really that easy to gain more hp and gas mileage, if so why would that not they not design it into the stock system.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It might make sense to integrate a TBS along with CAI, exhuast, headers, tune, etc., but there is no way that a TBS as a stand-alone mod is going to result in any measureable performance increase on a dyno / mpg. Period.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fuel economy is noticably better here on the 2nd day i have had it installed.. really enjoying this.. i know for sure there will be no power increase.. this is more of a mpg kinda addition... i certainly think it is worth it so far, AFE hasn't done me wrong yet :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
:smileup: Sounded great, nice mod. thanks for sharing :smileup:

To all the techs out there -

Are there any negative side effects to a throttle body spacer ? Is it really that easy to gain more hp and gas mileage, if so why would that not they not design it into the stock system.

All a throttle body spacer does is "swirl" the air before it goes into the intake which in effect speeds up the air (and gets rid of turbulence) for better fuel/air mixture there are no moving parts (on the ones i have installed) and have no idea why they don't design them into the factory system

·
Registered
52 Posts
It might make sense to integrate a TBS along with CAI, exhuast, headers, tune, etc., but there is no way that a TBS as a stand-alone mod is going to result in any measureable performance increase on a dyno / mpg. Period.
The main reason the factory does not get the same power is because they engineer out as much sound as possible. Most people are not performance minded and complain about all the sounds that most of us love.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah its definitely more noisy than a stock truck, easily noticeable if your a gear head like many of us :) TOTALLY WORTH IT.

·
Banned
0 Posts
A throttle body spacer time and time again has been proven to be 100% useless on our 5.4 3v's...

No measurable difference on the dyno or track times.
Nor in MPG. I'm afraid to say... its snakeoil.

I know you think you're getting better MPG hitmix, and you probably are! But it could be for any number of reasons unrelated to the TBS. Heck, the thing being louder than your used to could be why; you don't press as hard or as fast on the pedal subconsciously because the noise matches what you're used to from a harder press...

Also, you'll be required to pull it come smog inspection time. They're not smog legal anywhere, to my knowledge.

Sucks bud, but the data doesn't lie :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nor in MPG. I'm afraid to say... its snakeoil.

I know you think you're getting better MPG hitmix, and you probably are! But it could be for any number of reasons unrelated to the TBS. Heck, the thing being louder than your used to could be why; you don't press as hard or as fast on the pedal subconsciously because the noise matches what you're used to from a harder press...

Also, you'll be required to pull it come smog inspection time. They're not smog legal anywhere, to my knowledge.

Sucks bud, but the data doesn't lie :(
He essentially just bought a very expensive paper weight.

·
Registered
118 Posts
yea, i heard the same feedback from people that put it on their mustangs. also that tornado thing that's like a fan in the intake to swirl the air and what not, both do nothing.

·
Registered
591 Posts
sucks that he already got it, but at least he has a CAI and it sounds cool...

not much you can do to an engine for just bolt on mods..the usual seems to be the norm..cats/exhaust/CAI..

even then, i have seen trucks/cars on dynos with CAI's that produce damn close to nothing on the dyno...jus sayin

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i didnt pay for it, afe sent it to me for free for making the cai intake video.. not really a loss. as far as a smog inspection there is no such thing where i live, no inspection..

i doubt the computer is lyin to me

many have opinions which are respected, but just figured i'd show you folks what i did to my truck ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Airaid Poweraid TBS

installed one on mine, noticeable difference. I noticed a difference after I installed my K&N intake but the only change I have noticed since i installed the TBS is the whistle sound that it makes, and to be perfectly honest, at first it sounded like a blow-off valve but now it just sounds annoying. Most expensive whistle I ever bought.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree the TBS's are totally worthless, I had one on my silverado and finally took it off because I couldn't stand the sound any longer, try towing with one on, that high pitched sound will drive you crazy!:shakehead: But at least you got it for free.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i didnt pay for it, afe sent it to me for free for making the cai intake video.. not really a loss. as far as a smog inspection there is no such thing where i live, no inspection..

i doubt the computer is lyin to me

many have opinions which are respected, but just figured i'd show you folks what i did to my truck ;)

We appreciate it, bud. :smileup:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i ended up removing it hehe

the noise got to me.. the only noise i want to hear is the whine of a supercharger.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i ended up removing it hehe

the noise got to me.. the only noise i want to hear is the whine of a supercharger.
Sorry i dont mean to be a buzzkill but has no one heard the posts where the SVT team specifically says its not a good idea to put a supercharger on an offroad vehicle? That being said, i believe the main infatuation with people thinking throttle body spacers work is because of their history of use on carburated engines apparently they were of some use there but since air flow on fuel injected engines doesnt touch fuel for quite a distance from the throttle body's location any supposed swirl effect or vortex or velocity increase is negated before it can have any effect on fuel vaporization process! Not only are the physics wrong in this aspect but if such a simple concept could increase power and fuel efficiency then manufacturers would be putting them on the vehicles from the factory and would find some way to muffle the sound.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts