F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You've seen every truck/vehicle known to man converted to everything from a dune buggy to a swamper to a rock crawler. I've read posts toying with the idea of building you're own Raptor etc. What about this:

The whole look and idea of the Raptor is awesome to most. But not everyone lives in the western states and can't really take advantage of what the Raptor is all about. What about anyone else who likes the sporty look of the Raptor but would like to use it as an all purpose vehicle? Possibly even more of a work vehicle?

For those who would know, roughly, what would be involved in stiffening the suspension so it could tow/haul more? Possibly replace the shocks for one? If so, resale value on those?

I know, far fetched idea. Don't bother flaming, it's all hypothetical. Settle down. :kap:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anything is possible but its not practical... I personally would buy a nice lariat diesel for towing and be done. I wouldn't mess with the suspension components because they are specifically valved for off road applications and so it would be a complete waste of $$$ to buy an F-150 Raptor if you plan to turn it back into an F-150.
I'd go the other way. Buy a crew cab F-150 short box install a leveling kit 250 bucks w/ wider wheels and 35" tires and some new flared fenders. That way you don't lose the 10000 pound towing capacity but you can create a pre runner look.

***Or instead of the leveling kit buy some longer coilovers for a better ride. I wonder if the raptor front fenders would fit on an 09?***

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm no mechanic by any stretch, so forgive my ignorance. And the Raptor as it is, suits my needs as a daily driver and can tow what I need to tow. This is just idle "what if" conversation to me.

Anything is possible but its not practical... I personally would buy a nice lariat diesel for towing and be done. I wouldn't mess with the suspension components because they are specifically valved for off road applications and so it would be a complete waste of $$$ to buy an F-150 Raptor if you plan to turn it back into an F-150.
Instead of tweaking suspension components, I was thinking (with my lack of mechanical knowledge) one could replace those expensive shocks with lesser priced shocks that would better serve towing or "work" truck needs. Resell the Fox shocks perhaps? What else would need replacing or tweaked? The rear leaf springs I would imagine? That would be about it?

I'd go the other way. Buy a crew cab F-150 short box install a leveling kit 250 bucks w/ wider wheels and 35" tires and some new flared fenders. That way you don't lose the 10000 pound towing capacity but you can create a pre runner look.
True, but unless there is more to it than what I described above (and I'm sure there is), in the end would there be much of difference in the money after everything is said and done? If there wasn't, I'd prefer the Raptor look.

***Or instead of the leveling kit buy some longer coilovers for a better ride. I wonder if the raptor front fenders would fit on an 09?***
I'd hate to see the price on a pair!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts