F-150 Raptor Forums banner

321 - 340 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Really?? Would you have any pictures of this? It's the first I've heard of a vacuum tube being the culprit. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Seems unlikely its a vaccum issue, especially on those Raptor owners trucks that developed the rattle after only a few hundred miles. I've heard of Vaccum lines breaking after like 50,000 miles from dry rot. In any case, doesn't hurt to give it a once over!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have been following this in concern....My Raptor does not have this issue at all. That being said do you think it will eventually happen to all Raptors?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have been following this in concern....My Raptor does not have this issue at all. That being said do you think it will eventually happen to all Raptors?
The line is wrapped in plastic wiring loom material but there is an inch or so of the vacum line that is exposed on the rear side of the uca that runs close to the exhaust. The exhaust heat makes the line brittle. I agree that newer trucks should not be to concerned but eventually with miles put on the truck or running in hot areas it will get brittle and break. Either preventive maintenance or what till it breaks.

when the line breaks it allows the gear inside the hub to try and engage and causes a rattle that sounds more like a catalytic convertor that the core broke loose and rattles. Believe me I chase this thing for 3 weeks before finding out that many of the ford front 4 wheel drives have this problem. I fixed it first with heat shrink tube and then went ahead and replace the plastic line with rubber vacum line and covered it with the wiring loom material and gorialla tape.
Mil T

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not likely as you should have noticed it by now. I bought mine used and have had it from day one. I truly believe some fox shocks aren't all their cracked up to be. I can't wait to put some icon into the beast

·
Registered
502 Posts
The line is wrapped in plastic wiring loom material but there is an inch or so of the vacum line that is exposed on the rear side of the uca that runs close to the exhaust. The exhaust heat makes the line brittle. I agree that newer trucks should not be to concerned but eventually with miles put on the truck or running in hot areas it will get brittle and break. Either preventive maintenance or what till it breaks.

when the line breaks it allows the gear inside the hub to try and engage and causes a rattle that sounds more like a catalytic convertor that the core broke loose and rattles. Believe me I chase this thing for 3 weeks before finding out that many of the ford front 4 wheel drives have this problem. I fixed it first with heat shrink tube and then went ahead and replace the plastic line with rubber vacum line and covered it with the wiring loom material and gorialla tape.
Mil T
But do you think the Fox shocks will go bad and cause this noise in the future of these trucks?

·
Registered
19 Posts
So...4wd engaged should effect that vacuum tube, right? When I'm n 4 I still have the sounds. Not as bad though. Unless my right front doesn't fully engage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
But do you think the Fox shocks will go bad and cause this noise in the future of these trucks?
I never said anything about the shocks!!!.
If you talk to ford dealers, this is a common problem with late model vacum actuated 4x4 trucks that have this configuration.
It's not like I'm makin this shit up. It happened to me, it can happen to you and it causes a rattle like you described. The vacum keeps the engagment ring from engaging. When it losses vacum it lets the engagment ring try to engage but it doesn't. The ring then rides on the outside of the axle end that it is supposed to engage to and rattles.

I didn't say that your noise was definitly caused by the broken or cracked vacum line. I was only sharing what I know and that I experienced a similar situation. You need to look at the left side also. It has a vacum line also remember.

·
Registered
76 Posts

This is the picture of the vacume line to the front right hub. It's the one on the right going into that loom material but you can see where the exposed tubing is. The fix was a piece of heat shrink but that's not going to last forever, so I'll probably replace that also. You can see how close the exhaust is behind it. There is a shield there but I'm sure that does not help protect it completely. I am going to rap that open piece with some heat resistant material. I"m sure it would not hurt to wrap that ABS line next to it either. This needs to be done on both sides.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I never said anything about the shocks!!!.
If you talk to ford dealers, this is a common problem with late model vacum actuated 4x4 trucks that have this configuration.
It's not like I'm makin this shit up. It happened to me, it can happen to you and it causes a rattle like you described. The vacum keeps the engagment ring from engaging. When it losses vacum it lets the engagment ring try to engage but it doesn't. The ring then rides on the outside of the axle end that it is supposed to engage to and rattles.

I didn't say that your noise was definitly caused by the broken or cracked vacum line. I was only sharing what I know and that I experienced a similar situation. You need to look at the left side also. It has a vacum line also remember.
I think you have me confused with someone else. I dont have any issues..."yet" I was just wondering if my truck will develop it or not.

·
Registered
153 Posts
2 things to check...
1... the plastic front fender protector is real lose and might be flapping and transfering noise through the truck. If you hit it with your hand you will see the noise it makes..
2... check the right front shock bolt

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Raptor 6.2Had it for a week now and noticing and thumping when going over small bumps. It feels like a wheel is loose type of feeling. My girlfriend commented on it while riding shotgun. Reading these posts has me worried because it seems its not just my truck. Other owner are experiencing the same sensation. I'm taking my truck to the dealer tomorrow!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Really!!

Time for me to give my $.02. This aint my first HP 4X4!! I have over 11k on the clock and I get "shock" noise from all four corners at any given time depending on road-off road conditions. Had mid perch done at dealership with 2 miles on the clock. Had the "noise" from day one!! I "use" my beast to the fullest extent. The Raptor is not a Platinum or Harley edition stock F150, it is an SVT built for OFF ROAD. This truck will handle, sound, look and last differently than any "stocker" from FOMOCO. I don't think it's right to expect this type of truck to be as smooth and quiet as a "KR". REALLY, for those of you that bought this truck because you wanted a "cool" pavement princess, please accept the fact that the pavement is not it's intended use and you will probably have unusual sounds and "bumps" throughout the life of your Raptor. IMO!!!! :kap:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have no problem with bumps and shit.. I didn't expect a Platinum or I would of bought a Platinum. I've had off-road trucks & high performance cars before. This is a rattle that you can feel in the pedal and your ass.. something is loose in the front end and it is only going to get worse with offroading. It feels very similar to the strut mount I had blowout on my GT.

Now, if I take this truck for some real offroading and this loose part breaks the **** off the truck it'll be on my dime because we all know how quick Ford is to deny a warranty once you have a rock chip on your truck. So, I'd like the issue to be fixed or atleast have a leg to stand on when it does finally let go and Ford tries to screw me over.

321 - 340 of 366 Posts