F-150 Raptor Forums banner

361 - 366 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I found a SSM from Ford about shocks. Here it is....

SSM 44421 - SVT RAPTOR - SHOCK ABSORBER NOISE OVER BUMPS
2010-2014 F-150 SVT RAPTOR VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH UNIQUE HIGH-PERFORMANCE FOX SHOCK ABSORBERS DESIGNED FOR SEVERE OFF-ROAD USE. SOME CUSTOMERS MAY BE CONCERNED WITH BOOM, CHIRP OR CLUNK NOISES FROM THE FRONT OR REAR SHOCK ABSORBERS MOST OFTEN HEARD OVER SMALL, SHARP BUMPS IN THE ROAD SUCH AS FROST HEAVES, POTHOLES, OR EXPANSION JOINTS. COLD AMBIENT TEMPERATURES CAN MAKE THE CONDITION MORE APPARENT. THIS IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC ORIGINATING FROM THE HYDRAULIC MOTION OF THE FLUID AND INHERENT TO THE UNIQUE DESIGN OF THE SHOCK ABSORBERS. IT IS NOT CAUSED BY CONTACT OF ANY SUSPENSION COMPONENTS, NOR WILL THIS CONDITION HAVE ANY DETRIMENTAL EFFECT ON THE LIFE OF THE SHOCK ABSORBERS OR SUSPENSION. DO NOT ATTEMPT SERVICE TO CORRECT THIS NORMAL CONDITION.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2011 - 2014 TRUCK: 00029 F-SERIES LD
2011 - 2014 TRUCK: 00029 F-SERIES LD
2010 - 2014 TRUCK: F6 F150/LINCOLN MARK LT
2010 - 2014 TRUCK: F6 F150/LINCOLN MARK LT

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was super pleased to find this thread because I just assumed the ol "front clunk" in my 2011 was unique to my truck. Glad I'm not the only one.

I've only had time to read the first 1/3 or so of this thread, so forgive me if this has already been addressed, but has anyone had success keeping their old shocks and just replacing the bushings? As I understand it, the best fix is new front shocks set to the 2nd perch, and re-torque the lower mount to 400 ft. lbs. I'd like to avoid the big $$ for a new set of Fox's if at all possible, so I thought I'd try replacing the bushings, combined with the above fix.

Do they need to be pressed out, or are they split? Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Raptor rattle

Ok I am new the sight, but this is the reason I joined. I have had the same rattle since new and I thought all along it was my hitch rattling. I removed it and it was still there. I climbed under and inspected everything and have found that it is the CV shaft on passenger side. This shaft is longer then the shaft on the drivers side. I understand play in a drive line, but this is not correct. Please try move yours up and down to see if it is the same. I have 10k on mine.
^^^^THIS!! Mine also has the annoying rattle up front that sounds like a loose tie rod end or other suspension related item.

I just got my 2013 last week, 31k miles, clean midwest truck. Has the rattle up front. Pulled the passenger wheel to poke and pry a bit. Everything is tight BUT the axle shaft, it does have play up and down, front to back and makes a metal on metal rattle that you can hear resonate through the front drive line! Driver side has a tiny bit of play but not like the passenger side...even that is not extreme but it's definitely a prime suspect. Not know a lot about the internals, what would cause that play? Just worn?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think all the CVs have that play. My 2004 did and made no noise. My 2013 with 90,000km has it too.

Check this out though. I just fixed this today :)

Adjust Your Steering Rack

·
Registered
1 Posts
any updates on this issue? Is it the stock fox shocks? Top hats? LCA? I replaced a bunch of stuff and still get it, though now only during slower speeds and not all the time. No play in my tie rods at the steering rack..

·
Registered
3 Posts
wiz1500
It's not to difficult to shim After removing the shock measure the width of the base mount .
Then with a inside mic measure the gap in the lower arm . if the gap is greater than .005
then you will have to add shim I would use Stainless shim cut like a horseshoe . I do believe that most of the trucks that have the complaints the gap is greater than .005 . Mine was aprox .022 on the right and .009 on the left side . The new shocks from Ford were -.003 and +.001 that one was hard to install. After retorque no more noise !!
You just solved my issues I spent about 10k on before I found this fix. I literally bought two sets of new front coil over shocks. I bought the Fox 3.0s and the factory fronts. Noise was still there. I bought brand new lower and upper control arms. Noise/Clunk was still there. Even installed the forged bigger shanked bolt and torqued to 500 ft lbs. I just added two of the .010 shims to each side closing the gap on each front shock by .020. Noise gone. $50 worth of shims and 20 mins of work. I hope others will find this post and fix the problem as well. I literally almost traded in the truck. It only has 50k on it but it was driving me insane! Thank you for digging deeper into this problem. Even the Ford techs and engineers couldn’t figure it out. Props to you!

361 - 366 of 366 Posts