F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Add another Raptor rear window to the casualty list. I was driving to work the other morning and pop goes the window. I took it in to my local dealer and they were more than willing to cooperate, but then they had to get approval from ford for glass replacement. Even though the internet is jammed full of these cases ford is in complete denial apparently. Insurance is covering it at no cost however I was hoping ford would own up to the problem and fix it with a solution but no such luck. I am hoping now the problem was in the windows and the new replacements have been fixed......we shall see.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lady on the telephone from Ford customer care just kept repeating there was no recall on it so there was nothing she can do. Unfortunate since the Internet is full of cases of this happening to F150s.

· Registered
7,852 Posts
I think its water in the track and the heater makes contact, craaaack!!! Just like when you take a hot casserole dish out of the oven and put it on a wet counter, it will shatter!

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in Delaware and the temp was in the mid 20s when it happened. If you google F150 rear window shattered you will find plenty of cases exactly like mine. If it's a bad window they had a whole batch of bad windows I would say. Gets replaced tomorrow.

· Registered
273 Posts
I to have experienced the blown out rear window passenger rear.
The dealer didn't want to believe me so I called a close Friend , And one arrived the next day . The counter rep said he didn't know my friend and the best he could due was 45 days out !!!mm he was blown away when it arrived at the dealer. !!! and replaced the next day no questions asked from there .... so yes there was a defect from the manufacture not Ford.!!! It is a current issue.. Wiring has been modified

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I to have experienced the blown out rear window passenger rear.
The dealer didn't want to believe me so I called a close Friend , And one arrived the next day . The counter rep said he didn't know my friend and the best he could due was 45 days out !!!mm he was blown away when it arrived at the dealer. !!! and replaced the next day no questions asked from there .... so yes there was a defect from the manufacture not Ford.!!! It is a current issue.. Wiring has been modified
So your thoughts are the new replacement window shouldn't repeat this problem?

· Registered
39 Posts
When mine blew I called my dealership and was told that it was my tough luck. 800$ out of my pocket later I was in for an oil change and brought the issue up. The rep told me it was a known problem and that I should have taken it into them. I mentioned I had spoken to someone at the service desk on the phone, and the rep just sighed. They told me its a case by case basis, but if yours goes take it to the dealer. I could have almost forgiven the 800$ for the damn window, but the glaziers the dealer recommended left caulking stings and blobs all over the back of the truck.

· Registered
1 Posts
Still happening. Ford still acting like they are in the dark. Here is the text of my NHTSA complaint:
"Using the factory remote, I started the 2013 Ford F150 for first time of the day 12/18/14 and entered vehicle 5 minutes later. Put key in column ignition. Did not touch any controls. With the transmission still in PARK, a very loud noise occurred. One section of the rear window / backlite had shattered top to bottom, edge to edge.
The outdoor temperature was 24F, the heat setting was 67F. Vehicle was backed into driveway with garage behind. Nothing could have hit the window from the outside and the vehicle hadn't moved, yet the glass practically exploded.
There are many similar experiences shared on several internet forums involving years 2010 forward of the same model truck -- same generation. Ford has not created a TSB and there isn't a recall, and Ford has made no indication that they will do anything about it. They referred me back to a dealer to document the damage.
Local Ford dealer told me afterward that the rear window defrost turns on automatically with the remote start feature. Now driver visibility is obscured and I'm concerned about the safety of the electrical heating element. Reportedly fires have occurred with this situation. I won't be using the rear defrost under any circumstances -- even in northern Illinois, in the winter.
It seems most owners have been denied warranty claims because Ford stated the damage was to glass, which isn't covered under the warranty. The glass isn't the problem, its the evidence.
Ford said it is up to the dealer to determine if the damage is due to a manufacturer's defect to get replacement under warranty. The dealer service manager told me they submit a warranty claim with photos to Ford which will either approve or deny the claim. The dealer quoted $800.00 installed to replace the entire backlite assembly. The two different stories are troubling. I'm already preparing myself for the run-around."

· Registered
273 Posts
I had the same issue and the dealer was dragging there feet.
I called a friend at Dearborn and the dealer called me the next day telling me that corporate had sent them a new rear window and had instructed them to install it asap ! No charge ! My dealer stated they couldn't get the same results and that was there reason for the stall. Lol.
They Know about the problem and will replace the window for free !!

· Registered
46 Posts
My back window went out, I called ford first, then they instructed me to go to the dealer, and have the service writer take pictures and they will contact them, also made sure the service writer looked at all the window problems on the net, window ordered the following day, ford warantied the window.
Don't know if they fixed the problem with the defrosters, but make sure you have the window turned off in your auto start , as dumb as it sounds, and shouldn't be, but let your truck warm up with the heater on, then use the defroster if needed, the problem is the defroster heats to fast for the cold glass causing the shatter.

· Registered
1 Posts
Driving down the interstae this morning in a 22 F150 LESS THAN 9K MILES... out of the nowhere the window blew out. I thought I was getting shot at! The window popped and shattered. There was nothing to cause this. I am in Florida it was cool out and I had the rear defrost on .. Ford is saying no recall but also admited it is a comon occurence. Still not willing to fix :) I say BS!

· Administrator
1,505 Posts
Yep, would say BS as well. Have seen this reported a few times - not a lot, but enough that Ford should address the issue. Other issue I have seen is the rear window slider stops working.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts