F-150 Raptor Forums banner

Back Up Camera Intermittently Not Working

70K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Johnny5 
#1 ·
does anyone have insight on the back up camera intermittingly working/not working. The camera turns on for a few seconds then screen goes blank. All connections look to be intact. Body shop said to have Ford take a look at it, but wanted to see if anyone else had similar issues?

#2 ·
I got the same problem, man. It started with the backup lines going away. The tire path lines on the screen. Then the options for camera quit. Like reset and contrast and zoom. Now, some times it works sometimes it flickers and sometimes it has weird blue lines everywhere. I was about to order a new camera but started reading more info.

Steps to fix:
#1 Clean connectors. One located behind bumper near spare tire. Disconnect and clean with a di-electric spray. One in tailgate, my hands too big for this one but working on it.
#2 Reset sync. I believe you can reset the the navigation/sync/radio with a fuse in the foot well on passenger side.
#3 Software update. I'm hearing a few people got an update for the SYNC and it fixed camera issues.

Going clean more connections tomorrow. Maybe try slamming tailgate shut a few times to see if it affects the camera.

#5 ·
OK, so I cleaned both connectors near the tailgate
then I pulled and cleaned 3 fuses in the passenger foot well. SYNC,Navi and rear camera fuse.
then I removed the battery power from truck. Removed power from truck for 5 minutes.

camera is still crazy, image is often inverted and it flickers. unable to use zoom and no lines for backing up. All I can do is update the software. If it still is messed up I suppose a new rear view camera is in order.

#6 ·
I check fuses today as well as the connection by the spare. I left the truck in reverse for awhile to see if the camera would turn off and it was working fine. Then later when I pulled out of the driveway, back to turning off after a few seconds of it being on.

#9 ·
Mine works off and on but has no lines for tire path and is actually reversed. the image is backwards. I plan to remove the camera and check for electronic damage to either wires or solder joints. I eliminated the chance for dirty connectors and or software issues. It has to be the camera itself.

#16 ·
My backup camera is intermittently working and the grid lines (when they actually appear) do not adjust based on the steering wheel when camera does turn on and actually works. Sometimes I have the grid lines and sometimes I don’t, but I haven’t been able to isolate the cause of gridline problems and the camera problems. Sometimes the display will just stop after two seconds and say it’s disconnected from the camera. The front camera also intermittently turns off too.

Since the cameras do work, sometimes, it seems like it’s an update that the computer needs and I would really like to know if anyone else has the name of the update from Ford, or the step by step backyard / garage fix for the problems.

2012 Raptor / Super Crew / black ext / black int / with luxury package / stock truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I’m not going to be very helpful unfortunately. Are you sure the grid lines are supposed to adjust? On my 2010 they were straight all the time. I’m not sure of when they changed to the ones that adjusted.

My backup camera is intermittently working and the grid lines (when they actually appear) do not adjust based on the steering wheel when camera does turn on and actually works. Sometimes I have the grid lines and sometimes I don’t, but I haven’t been able to isolate the cause of gridline problems and the camera problems. Sometimes the display will just stop after two seconds and say it’s disconnected from the camera. The front camera also intermittently turns off too.

Since the cameras do work, sometimes, it seems like it’s an update that the computer needs and I would really like to know if anyone else has the name of the update from Ford, or the step by step backyard / garage fix for the problems.

2012 Raptor / Super Crew / black ext / black int / with luxury package / stock truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.