F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Raptor. The BFG KO2’s are ok in the snow/ice. I’m hoping someone will be able to recommend a tire that outperforms any other snow/ice tire. I have a set of Continental snow/ice tires, and they are quite worthless! Almost dangerous. I’ve tried looking into Bridgestone Blizzak (arguably the best passenger snow/ice tire), but they aren’t aavailable in a large enough size to fit the truck rim. They are, something like, 2 1/2” shorter and they are more narrow. I tried researching half ton pick truck tires, and Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 was recommended. Upon further review, they, too, are too small for the Raptor. So, what’s a guy to do? Not that I will, but I want to be able to drive 80 and have the tires gripping really well. -Yeah, I get it’s ice and snow and traction will be a problem, but, anyone who has driven with Blizzak tires will know exactly what I’m getting at.

Please help!

Thank you, in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What’s your experience with those tires? From what I understand, the non-studded tires outferform studded tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What’s your experience with those tires? From what I understand, the non-studded tires outferform studded tires.
I ran these on my Ram Rebel and I run them on my Raptor. Here in Alaska, at least the part I'm in, ice is the bigger problem. There are two types of tires the perform best on icy roads, the ones with lots of siping in the treads, and the ones with studs. The tires on my BMW X5 M are so wide that I wasn't able to find studded tires last year (Toyo is making them but they weren't in the U.S. yet-haven't checked this year) so I bought a set with lots of siping and it is amazing how well they work on ice. On my trucks I've always used studded Nokians because I could. Driving the BMW and the Raptor on the same icy roads the Raptor feels more solid and does less sliding than the BMW. I know it's not an apple to apple comparison because of different vehicles, different tire manufacturers and different tire widths- but I like the studs. You could always get the Nokians without the studs, try them, and then stud them later if you wanted. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just placed an order for those tires. Locally (north-central Indiana) they want $412/tire. Found them online for $298/tire with free shipping and Free Road Hazard (However that’s defined). Thank you, so much, for your input and help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You are very welcome. I hope you are pleased with them. I bought my Rebel in Texas in February of '17 and drove it to Alaska in March. I knew I needed good snow/ice tires and found only one set of the Nokians in the lower 48, and they were in New York. Discount Tire got them for me. I had them mounted on a second set of rims cause I figured I'd need to change over somewhere around Wyoming. Well, they stayed in the bed of the truck the entire trip! It was 65 degrees and sunny all the way up through Canada and Alaska and all the snow melted off the highways. But no sooner did I get home and a big blizzard hit Canada and the Alaska Highway was covered in snow and ice for another month. Strange how things happen sometimes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy smokes that a long drive! You probably drove right out of your warranty by the time you got to your destination in Alaska!

I’m, actually, super excited to get the tires and see how well they perform! I, too, had a summer set and a winter set of tires and rims. BFGoodrich T/A KO2’s for the summer and, currently, have Continental snow tires for the winter. The snow tires are absolutely awful! I was complaining about them to my girlfriend. She just thought I was driving too aggressively -and she was riding with me. Then, she drove the truck and said how bad they are. Vowed to get something better by this winter. As usual, I waited till the last second (We have been getting snow all day, today. Nothing sticking, though). So, I’m super pumped to drive on the new tires!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Finally today got our first snow up here, about 3/4 of an inch. Crazy thing is 70 miles just north of the Anchorage area they’ve had 11 inches of snow for a couple of weeks. Glad it waited this long for us. Now to remember to leave the truck in 4A.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We’ve had a couple of days of snow. These tires make me curse -literally. Holy Hell are they fantastic! Thank you, so much, for turning me on to these tires. Thus far they are working incredibly well! Absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad they are working out for you. We are getting icy up here and I'm always amazed at how well they work.

Just ordered six more for my '19 F350 Dually that I should be getting sometime in December. Stay safe, and warm!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts