F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a black billet fuel door with polished screws not be perfect for this truck? Plus throw in a locking feature so nobody pours sand in your tank when they get jealous. I think it's one more puzzle piece to making this truck look even better. :smileup:

Question is... will a stock 2010 Ford F-150 gas door fit a wide body Raptor? I don't have the truck yet so I can't tell. If so this product is already out on the market. If not I might need to make one myself.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I wanna see what happens when the seal around the gas door goes bad. Where is the water going to go that gets in there? Seems like a bad design idea, especially since it is a designated offroad vehicle.

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
A leaking seal will also throw a trouble code for a vaccum leak.

The door does not do the actual sealing. That is done inside the filler neck.

Too many people were leaving their gas caps loose, releasing hydrocarbons into the air. So as always, manufacturers have to make their vehicles idiot proof.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think the capless filler is kinda snazzy. As long as it doesn't leak, which i'm sure they tested it and it won't, there shouldn't be any problem with it. Oh, but be aware, if you are using a fuel can to fill you truck when you run out of gas on those desert runs...make sure you don't lose you 'tank-filler' funnel...apparently gas can nozzles won't fill the gas tank unless you use it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am worried that the seal will fail at some point in time, wether it is in the filler neck or the door, and I'm sure it will be more expensive and troublesome to replace than the standard filler cap that has been used for decades. That locking plug may solve the issue if it also seals the neck. I guess as long as the capless system is working, it will be very cool to just shove the nozzle in the neck, fill, remove, and be on your way! Who knows, maybe the system will hold up better than I think and will never be an issue.

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
The good thing is no one can pour crap in your tank, unless they have the special funnel.

Speaking of pouring.

Fast fact of the day:
Sugar does NOT disolve in gasoline. So don't waste your time putting in someone's fuel tank.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Actually, you can just stick your thumb in and get the door to release, but it is definitely harder to do than just removing a cap. I guess your thumb would have to be just the right size, as mine seems to be, so it isn't something that will work for just anyone.
Good tip on the sugar. I've always thought that was the most stupid thing for someone to do. It's just senseless.

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
This one had the plastic "billet" fuel door.
It is off a conventional F150. The door did NOT fit well and will allow water into the fuel filler.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I like that locking cap think I may pick one up in case the seal does go. Now I got another Key to add to my ring. Unless they make one without a lock?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Would a black billet fuel door with polished screws not be perfect for this truck? Plus throw in a locking feature so nobody pours sand in your tank when they get jealous. I think it's one more puzzle piece to making this truck look even better. :smileup:

Question is... will a stock 2010 Ford F-150 gas door fit a wide body Raptor? I don't have the truck yet so I can't tell. If so this product is already out on the market. If not I might need to make one myself.

Thoughts?
I have a silver raptor and just installed the black billet AMI fuel door from Autoanything. My door doesn't have the riv nuts going around it and it looks great! Raptor or regular F-150, the doors are the same. As far as someone tampering with the fuel, I got a locking fuel plug from the Ford dealer that simply plugs the fuel inlet of the capless fuel system. That way your fuel is safe and you don't have the lock on the door that takes away from the look in my opinion. There are several companies that make the fuel doors but the AMI looks the best I think. Some are actually only door covers that simply stick on the existing door. The one I have completely replaces the door in about 5 min, is made of billet and actually has some weight to it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a silver raptor and just installed the black billet AMI fuel door from Autoanything. My door doesn't have the riv nuts going around it and it looks great! Raptor or regular F-150, the doors are the same. As far as someone tampering with the fuel, I got a locking fuel plug from the Ford dealer that simply plugs the fuel inlet of the capless fuel system. That way your fuel is safe and you don't have the lock on the door that takes away from the look in my opinion. There are several companies that make the fuel doors but the AMI looks the best I think. Some are actually only door covers that simply stick on the existing door. The one I have completely replaces the door in about 5 min, is made of billet and actually has some weight to it.
How about posting some pictures

1 - 20 of 24 Posts