Billet Torque Converter Vs. Tuner

Discussion in '2012 Ford Raptor Forum' started by gavin75442, Aug 11, 2017.

1. gavin75442

gavin75442 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I have a 2012 Raptor and I love it but I'd like to get more out of it! With that in mind, I've got a couple of issue to consider. When idling up from a stopped position my engine will often rev up and then slam into gear. This seems to be getting worse with time. Taking into account this truck is 5 years old and after some research I'm considering my first performance upgrade to be replacing my torque converter with a Billet torque converter rather than throwing a tuner in. I'd like some input on if this is the right decision and if so, what exact converter I need to go for. My second issue is the knock that I get every time I hit a bump. I've read that it's most likely the bottom shock mount bolts on the front swing arms. I replaced the bolts but it still knocks! I don't have deep pockets so I'm trying to put my money where it will be most beneficial first.

2. Big Bill

Big Bill Active Member Moderator Site Supporter Level 5

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2013 Whipple Raptor700+HP
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Welcome to the zzz it's good to have you with us. IMO you should use the search button and type in Tunes or tuning my Raptor and read about all the different companies that offer tuning for our Trucks. Just to name a couple you have 5-Star Tuning , SCT Tuning and JDM Engineering. Give them a call and tell them what you want out of your truck and listen to what they have to say. I can tell you from first hand experience if you put one of their tunes on your 6.2 you'll see that it has so much more to offer and with a tune you can have the tuner dial in the truck to perform exactly the way you want,from better HP & Torque, idling , crisp smooth shifting and better performance. Down the road when you get some extra $$$ put a cold air intake and exhaust system you will turn your Raptor into a Beast and a fun truck to drive. As for the knock your hearing you need to get it on a lift and check everything make sure something didn't just come loose.
    Let us now how you make out and post a few pictures of that Bad Boy.

3. Bruce Dolloff

Bruce Dolloff New Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 raptor
    Color?:
    Blue Flame
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L

I did the Hennessy program chip in mine. I also have cold air and the roush cat back. The program woke the truck right up!! also it shifts firm.

4. gavin75442

gavin75442 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Great info! Thanks for the feedback!