Brake Upgrades for the Ford Raptor

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Chassis - Suspension - Wheels & Tires' started by QualityDayDream, Mar 27, 2010.

1. haloseventy8

haloseventy8 Member Military

Vehicle?:
    2013 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Oxford White
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Okay, so I read this and a couple other big brake threads on this forum since I will be looking for a set in the next few months and here is what I've gone through/found out.

I called a few big brake vendors, including Hennessey, which sells a 15" 6-piston Brembo kit for the Raptor for $4750, and they also sell a 16" 6-piston Willwood kit for the F-150 4x4 for just over $3200. Now, what I wanted to figure out is why isn't the Willwood kit listed as an option for the Raptor, since it's obviously an F-150. So, I called up Hennessey, and the sales associate told me the reason the Willwood kit won't fit the Raptor is the hubs on the Raptor and F-150 with a 4x4 setup are different, but he couldn't tell me how or why they are different.

I was not sastisfied with this answer, so I called Ford Racing in hopes of getting ahold of the SVT guys to see if they could tell me the difference. Ford Racing has no idea whatsoever.

Next, I called a local Ford parts department back in the States and asked the nice Ford tech if the part numbers for the F-150 4x4 and Raptor hubs were different. According to the parts catalogue, they are different, but again, he couldn't tell me if this was because of a difference in vehicles or actual physical differences.

So, I went to my go-to-guys, Team JDM, and the nice young lady on the phone was able to get the answer for me in about 15 minutes from Team JDM's go-to-guy for parts (a local Ford dealer across the street, I believe). The final answer is yes, they are physically different. They have different knuckles and mountings or something like that. I'm not technically inclined, so it was more gibberish to me, but it was more specific than "yes, they are different, no, I don't know why," so, I was happy with that.

So, the conclusions for this whole exercise are:

a. the Willwood F-150 big brake kit will not fit the Raptor

b. there is an alternative to the Brembos from Baer Brakes who sell a 15" 6-piston front big brake kit that is Raptor specific for just under $3200. Bill at Baer brakes assured me they have installed a few kits on Raptors already.

c. Stoptech does not make a kit for the F-150 or the Raptor

d. the brakes from SDHQ are just upgraded 14" rotors (same size as the stock Raptor rotors but SDHQ's are slotted and/or drilled) and pads. SDHQ also seems to be the only vendor selling upgraded parts for the rear brakes (slotted/drilled/pads/etc.), as Brembo and Baer are only making front brake parts for the Raptor.

I hope this helps anyone looking for their next upgrade.

cups likes this.
  2. mustangbesos

mustangbesos Well-Known Member

Vehicle?:
    2010 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Tuxedo Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    That's some good info there! Thanks for getting all of that info. Should note also that sometimes slotted rotors aren't always the way to go, just because rocks and dirt can get trapped in the slots from offroading, but sounds like most that go to bigger rotors are probably for street use with larger wheels.

3. wiz1500

wiz1500 Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Color?:
    Molten Orange
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Umm....Even if the depression slots or dimples are full of dirt they will still provide better cooling because there is more service area for the heat to escape from..
    These will become full of brake debris very quickly anyway...I know because I'v owned many sets..
    And you don't have to go to a bigger die. to realize gains...

4. cups

cups Member

Vehicle?:
    2011 Scab
    Color?:
    Tuxedo Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L

Great post. thanks :rep:

5. Raptor107

Raptor107 New Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford raptor scab
    Color?:
    Oxford White
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    SilverBolt how do you like the ATE brake fluid? needing to do a flush on my truck and want better quality fluids.
    Thanks