F-150 Raptor Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sounds like driver error. You dug down pretty far to get the CV boot to drag in the sand. The loud banging was likely wheel hop from excessive tire spin.

·
Registered
352 Posts
So it's been six months since my front right driveshaft broke. Now it happened to the front left one!

Truck is at dealer and it is being replaced under warranty. There are no signs of impact anywhere so the dealer is confused what could have caused it.

Same situation as last time. Soft desert sand. Was stopped on a flat area and trying to pull away slowly. Tires dug into sand and after a few attempts going back and forward I hear a bang. Went out and saw that the driver side wheel area was covered with oil and the boot that connects the driveshaft to the wheel was opened.

I'm worried that this is going to happen frequently. In my many years driving various off-roaders this has never happened and I have been stuck in some much deeper and softer sand.

Has this happened to anyone else? If it is not a factory defect then is there any way I can protect the driveshaft to avoid this from happening?

I'm attaching a crappy picture that kind of shows what the damage is.
Did you hear a clunk everytime you hit the gas when you switched between drive and reverse in 4wd?

·
Registered
161 Posts
It sounds like your not airing down your tires. I frequently take my Raptor to the Glamis sand dunes and you would have to either have full PSI or be a total idiot to get the trucks CV boot submerged with sand. Air down between 8-10psi and your Raptor will float in the sand, not dig holes

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Hope all goes well

Something wrong here?!? No one else is getting this?!?

Ever since I have been on the forumz, I haven't heard of anyone having this problem.

What are you doing out there in the sand with that Raptor? LoL :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
not sure whats happening, but we have not heard of this either, alot of our customers have taken dune trips in there raptors, with no axle failure, BUT, I have talked with someone in the middle east @ a shop, that has been experiencing front axle issue's on 3 different raptors, describing the same thing????? we ARE working on a axle upgrade for the long travel, but it will work with stock suspension also!:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just realized there are all these replies on this post. For some reason I wasn't getting the notifications.

To answer the questions I did air the tires down to about 10-12 psi and do that every time I go to the desert. I did turn the wheels left/right to try to get out when I got stuck. The fact that it happened to me twice in a similar manner and that I have been driving cars in the desert all my life is an indication of a weakness of the truck. Our sand is very soft and its hot here so maybe these conditions make it more obvious.

I feel that if there is something protecting the front drive shaft (especially the boot area it connects to the front wheels/suspension) it would solve this problem. Would love to find a solution since both times it broke when I was deep in the desert and had to make my way back to the road in 2wd.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was just wondering if the op was still on this message board...i have had the same issue happen on my 2012, except i wasnt off roading, and i have no idea how it happened. Except that the dealer says that my warranty claim is denied, even though the truck has less than 7500 miles on it. If you're still on here can i have the name of the dealership that fixed yours? I know that you're in the UAE, but it could give me somewhere to start with my dealer

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was just wondering if the op was still on this message board...i have had the same issue happen on my 2012, except i wasnt off roading, and i have no idea how it happened. Except that the dealer says that my warranty claim is denied, even though the truck has less than 7500 miles on it. If you're still on here can i have the name of the dealership that fixed yours? I know that you're in the UAE, but it could give me somewhere to start with my dealer
Why are you being denied by the dealer?

·
Registered
124 Posts
It sounds like your not airing down your tires. I frequently take my Raptor to the Glamis sand dunes and you would have to either have full PSI or be a total idiot to get the trucks CV boot submerged with sand. Air down between 8-10psi and your Raptor will float in the sand, not dig holes
There are some real **********s on here aye...I run 15 psi in mine and have dug it in several times up to the Axle...UAE sand can be very very soft (we have these little things called sand storms that put soft sand before the crest and base of every sand dune!!!) the weight of a raptor sinks it as soon as you stop in places...in my case i was forced to stop in bad places by other vehicles in the groups...

A 3000kg truck only floats on sand with speed but in our desert you can't go over the drop offs with speed they are like cliffs sometimes, if you go over them with air no more Raptor!!! But if you edge over them you just plough through the ramp at the bottom....We have flowing sand hills too but thats not where the real fun is!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It happened to me a third time and my dealer again replaced it under warranty about 6 months ago. We only have one authorised Ford dealer in the UAE which is Al Tayer Motors in Dubai or Premier Motors in Abu Dhabi (same owner). Hope they get it sorted for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've also busted front drive shaft assemblies here in the UAE sand when trying to get out of a 'stuck'.

To those on this forum that are not driving their truck in our desert sand you may think us guys over here no idea what we are doing, quite the opposite. Driving in the UAE desert in a big heavy truck like the Raptor is fun but its weight is its downfall. The truck sinks like a bitch at the first sign of loss of traction to a wheel even when pressure is 10psi. You have to be really careful with the gas in the UAE sand because as soon as you spin a wheel your nightmare is about to begin! Trying to start moving on a slight uphill can be virtually impossible so you learn to stop where you need to.

Anyway back to the front drive shaft.

It's not so much that the drive shaft breaks but the CV joint. The cage that holds the bearings shreds and breaks up causing a complete failure of the joint. Once this happens the end of the drive shaft flails around inside the housing and boot and chews everything up in their. In my case it's not been that the boot has touched the sand and got ripped of but some thing else. I suspect one of the following:

1). The front shafts are engaged by the vacuum system. If the vacuum system does not fully engage the drive shaft then the part contact is causing either the end of the shaft to break or the CV joint to fail. I have experienced sticking of this vacuum engagement system a few times and have had to do some fwd to rev juggling and sawing of the wheel to get it to disengage or engage.

2). My second theory is that when driving in the sand here you have the potential to put virtually all the Raptors power to one of the CV joints depending on which wheels are stuck in the sand. When your in a 'stuck' and trying to self rescue there is a good chance that the suspension is on or near full droop. Link that with going from lock to lock steering when trying your self rescue and the loads and angles on the CV joints is massive. I don't think that the CV joints have been tested to take the abuse that our UAE desert extremes throw at them.

My CV joints often let out a loud bang or two after I've switched to 4WD. Makes me cringe every time. I'm now very careful when running in 4WD to make sure I don't go all the the way to full lock especially when the suspension is drooped on uneven ground. Since taking extra precautions I have had no further failures but I defiantly feel this is a floored component and not a good fit with the Raptor long travel suspension.

For those in the UAE dealing with those idiots Al Tayer I also feel you pain! The complete drive shaft assembly costs about AED850 and is about 2 hours labour when using your preferred Offroad workshop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I had the same thing happen to me. At Glamis In the sand, I have Icon Skid plates so the boot never hits the sand. Ultimately my boot tore in the sand also. Fair view ford is claiming they wont replace, even with the premium care warranty on the truck. For me there were no rocks or sticks in 5 miles, and as most know Glamis sand is very fine. Anyways It does happen and as a mechanic there is no rime or reason it should have torn. Im claiming Boot defect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I changed the perch. It is at mid perch, im thinking your spot on Joe. Probably bound up and caught the boot. Hoping it wont happen again, I had to replace it myself, very easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
Im new to the Ford Raptor world, but an old off-road driver, 3 of them in UAE with a land rover defender
I just got 2010 raptor 6.2L , and took it to the beach,, after engaging the 4H and droving in, there was hard banging clunks in the front wheels , whenever there is a bit of sand holding the tires.
i tried getting the truck out , but it bottomed down in sand, apparently because i lost the front wheels,
i inspected it and the CV joint boot cover was ripped and the joint inside all damaged, from what we would call "no abuse" driving in UAE.
Are these trucks that delicate? what solutions do you guys have? im thinking of upgrading the CV joints to a more rugged brand as i heard these issues are very common here, but want to make sure as these are $$$$

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

Im new to this forum! I was searching the web on the same problem I had 3 weeks ago!
Im from UAE, and have a 2013 SVT Raptor.
This is what happened:
3 weeks ago, i went to the desert, to have some fun! Once i arrived there, I stopped in a flat sandy area just before starting the trip in dunes, to deflate the tires (did 15psi). Turned on the 4WD (4-H) while my foot on the brakes, shifted gear to forward , all good, now here comes the nightmare!
Once i have put my foot on the gas (slowly) my truck moved for 1-3meters then suddenly, i heard the same knocking (clunking) very loud sound along with a big vibration of shock to the car, then the car automatically changed to rear-2WD,, which instantly made me think of the fron shaft, differential, or axles!
while the rear wheels moving/spinning, front wheels aren't, and there was the same clunking sound however it is not that loud, and bow its like repeated (as small pieces being shredded or moving and hitting other metals).
I got out of the area by the help of my cousin who pulled my truck using the winch.

Took the car to the dealer, he changed the front left axle, i asked to change the right side one in order to this problem not to come again, he refused and said "the left one is the only one that broke, we cannot change something thats not broken!" I asked him about both of the axles if there is any chances that they will break he said "the right side might break, however the left one will not" i asked him how are so sure, his reply was "we ordered the left axle from FordUSA, and they provided a modified, non breakable axle, they know this problem (so i think this is a factory problem)

Anyways, i took the car 2 weeks ago, yesterday i went to the desert again, yet different area, this is the first time i go the sands after i changed the axle. Deflated my tires, 4WD on, drived nicely, all good, on flat sandy area, the first dune i wanted to get on! Boom, again the same loud sound but only came once!!
Yet 4WD still works, i decided to get out of there before anything happens! Whie im going out side, BOOM again and same (small metals hitting sound -the repeated clinking-) as before! 4WD drive stopped and only RWD working for approx 3 meters, then 4 drive worked again. Once i got out from there, inflated tires, RWD on, headed to the dealer, the mechanic came out with me, took him to the nearest sandy area he heard the sound while im driving, then he took the wheel, sound again! Back to the workshop, and the car is there, waiting there call today to know whats the problem now!!

Thank GOD this problem came out before the warranty ends, i still got 10000Kms till it finishes!! So yeah glad it will be changed for free, but still angry and frustrated from this problem!

Any help please!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ohh i c no one replyed! Anyways, i took the truck to the dealership, and they changed several things on the warranty.

Parts been changed:
Left and right sides front axles.
Front actuators.
Front shaft.

Those are the things that were related to the clunk sounds problem as the dealership said.
Also, both of the axles as he said were "modified" ones ordered from FORD-USA

21 - 40 of 43 Posts