F-150 Raptor Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ya man,

Happened to me too but I haven't had any issues after the repair. I was in 4 low and had the wheels full turned, felt some binding in the steering and thought it was just the rock I was on. I decided to back up a bit but when I did the truck felt like it was against something so I slowly and smoothly added a little gas and BANG!!!! my CV balls went flying. Guess there is something to say about a solid front axle for crawling on rocks.

Oh well Ford covered on 5yr warranty as it was obviously not abuse. They do have new P/Ns for the CV shafts so there must have been some kind of manufacturing change to support the P/N update.

BTW it was the LH CV Shaft assy that broke on my 2013 Raptor. Probably has something to do with the Torsen and how it can deliver more power to the wheel with more traction. Its easier for the drivetrain if the wheel with less traction can just spin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just realized there are all these replies on this post. For some reason I wasn't getting the notifications.

To answer the questions I did air the tires down to about 10-12 psi and do that every time I go to the desert. I did turn the wheels left/right to try to get out when I got stuck. The fact that it happened to me twice in a similar manner and that I have been driving cars in the desert all my life is an indication of a weakness of the truck. Our sand is very soft and its hot here so maybe these conditions make it more obvious.

I feel that if there is something protecting the front drive shaft (especially the boot area it connects to the front wheels/suspension) it would solve this problem. Would love to find a solution since both times it broke when I was deep in the desert and had to make my way back to the road in 2wd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had exactly the same thing - it’s now gone twice. Tyre pressure was reduced to 10 psi on both occasions. If you do find a solution then please let me know because limping out of the desert in 2WD is not fun!

41 - 43 of 43 Posts