F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a dumb question but, does the Raptor have a cabin airfilter? It seems when I'm offload the dust I kick up gets sucked into the vents and blows right in my face.... Not cool. Sorry SoCal for not using the search feature but, my phone locks up when I hit the search tab.

·
Registered
190 Posts
:hitfan: don't believe our Raptors have them. . .apparently Ford stopped including cabin air filters since around 2004. . .please confirm:kap:

·
Registered
166 Posts
My Trunda had a cabin filter but I don't think the Ford puts one in either the Raptor or the F-150s. My Trunda's filter was located behind the glove box. To be absolutely sure call your Ford service manager.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
I asked my service advisor at Ford a few month's ago and they said "nope", but then again I don't always believe everything they say :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
No cabin air filter system so you HVAE to REMEMBER to turn on the Re-Circulation Button every time - YES it SUCKS! Otherwise your truck fills full of dust along with your nose and eyes... ha ha

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That what I figured, and half way down the trail on my las outing I tried out re-circulation.... Problem was, when I got back to the pavement and turned on outside air I still got a face full of dust. Guess I had some piled up wherever it's draws the air in... Oh well small price to pay I guess.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have always gad a problem with that. Not only would i like to see a cabin filter, but i would like to put in a carben filter. Keeps all toxic smells out. I am going to look into modifying something if it is at all possible.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hmm. I thought about this for a few. I would "think" it might be easy enough to make something that would at least help.

I haven't looked at all but maybe there's some kind of surface under the cowl grills (between the back of the hood and the windshield) that would support this.

- Take off the cowl vents.
- Trace a pattern on paper to fit down there (if there's flat spots to sit on).
- Get some foam filter material (cheap, used for window A/C units mainly).

- Get some stiff screen, like for a screen door or similar. Cut it to fit and sandwich the foam between a top and bottom layer, and put in place.

- Put cowl vents back where they go.

I "think" that's where the outside air is drawn from. There could be more than one location I guess. It would not filter as well as a standard auto air filter, but may cut out a lot of the crap. Then again, they may make a foam one that does. Like the pre-filter socks that go over off road filters ?

If there is no place to set a sandwiched setup then possibly attach the foam and bottom screen piece to the cowl vents ?

I'll have to look ... and just throwing around ideas. :smileup:

·
Registered
872 Posts
The hood vents are to exhaust the hot air from the engine bay, not draw in air. Or maybe the cowl vent is something else you're talking about?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a pretty damn good idea there hatter, I was thinking something along those lines also. Just haven't worked up the motivation to try it out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The cowel vents he was referring to is a vent just below the windshield before the hood area. I wonder if there's a spot for the filter inside the cab, just not used. My new Challenger didn't have a filter new either for some reason. I was able to get a filter kit for a Charger and installed it since based on same body. I bet something for a regular F-150 would work as well. I just don't have anyway to find out for sure yet.

·
Registered
238 Posts
There was a kit at one time that supposedly fit up to 2008 (and beyond?), but is now obsolete. I have not gotten under the dash to see if the access plate is still there, so I'll caveat this post by saying it may be useless on the Raptors/or newer F150s.

I also don't know if these parts can still be purchased thru Ford, but since you guys were exploring the build your own path I thought I'd share what little I had seen on the cabin filters.

Here's some information from another forum (Ford not Raptor). Hopefully it's ok to post the link, if not Moderators feel free to delete it and chew me out.

Pic of kit and install instructions in this thread.
http://www.***************/forums/a...6-interior-cabin-air-filter-install-pics.html

Part numbers to order individually.
http://www.***************/forums/supercrew/187785-cabin-air-filter.html

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ok, can't link. Got it...

Here's a cut and paste of the two threads...

The part numbers I have for the cabin air filter install are:

F65Z-19B736-AA Cabin filter cover
F65Z-19871-AA Cover bracket "A"
F65Z-19871-BA Cover bracket "B"
W701696-S421 Bracket mounting screw
N605758-S58 Cover mounting bolt

The cover and brackets ARE the same numbers included in the F65Z-18D477-AA Cabin air filter kit, which was obsoleted long ago. The screws and bolts are NOT the same as what came in the kit. Because Ford decided not to assign part numbers for the screws and bolts in the kit, I had to find suitable, albeit not exact, replacements.

Installation: Under the dash, below the glove box area, you will see a trapezoid shaped cover held in place by three screws. Remove the screws and cover to reveal the pre-fabbed duct work.

The brackets come tapped with 4MM holes. I searched the dealers hardware bins for 4MM bolts with either built-in or captured washers, but could find none. I opted to go up a size to 5MM bolts with built-in washers. To use these, you will need to drill the existing holes out with an 11/64 bit, and re-tap the holes to 5 X 0.8MM. Very easy, took about twenty minutes to do.

Looking upward from the floorboard, you'll see a blockoff plate that's molded into the ductwork. It's approx. 1 X 9" (going from memory here). Cut the blockoff plate out.

Using the W701696-S421 screws, mount the brackets to their respective bosses.

Here's where it gets a little tricky. Holding the cover in place, thread one or more of the N605758-S58 bolts in, JUST ENOUGH to feel the bolt give resistance. Back it out one turn, and take note of how much clearance is between the cover and the bolt's washer. This is how much the bolt needs to be trimmed by cutting/filing/grinding, or however you choose to make the bolt shorter.

**Added: You can bypass the custom work of re-tapping holes, and trimming bolts, by locating 4mm bolts of the correct pitch. It helps to have one of the brackets with you.**

Once you've finished trimming the bolts, get yourself a cabin filter

Baldwin PA4133
Hastings AF1057
Fram CF-8631
Motorcraft FP7A
Purolator C45384
Wix 24876

put it in, bolt the cover down, and you're done!

******* and the install sheets ********

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like a pain in the a#% but, well worth it to get rid of some of the dust.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Humvee21, no problem whatsoever on the misunderstanding, just clarifying. Also NavyWolf, thanks for the details. As mentioned, may be a pain but when I get time down the road, would like to try something like that. In the past couple days it's surprising what comes in. For example, with the windows up I could smell the cigar a guy was smoking in the car in front of me. Took me a minute to figure that one out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts