F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are CAIs worth the money? Are the gains noticeable? i have dual flo masters will the sound change? What's the chances of it sucking up water? Do you guys drive in rain a lot? I was looking at the airaid for the 5.4l. I was thinking of the Cai or the perch adjustment. Domt wanna waste money om something that barely does anything.Thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
It does not add any noticeable MGP or power difference. However the growl it adds in the cabin at 3k RPM and higher is totally worth the money IMO.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It does not add any noticeable MGP or power difference. However the growl it adds in the cabin at 3k RPM and higher is totally worth the money IMO.
I second this! I went with an AFE and from 3k upwards it sounds mean as all get out. :D

P.S. My mpg went down bcause I can't keep my foot out of it ;):cool:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
I third this lol. I drove mine for about month before i added anything. Ive now been driving my truck with its "Cai" for about 7 mos now and I haven't noticed any real change in gas mileage. I don't even consider it a cold air intake.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Not unless adding a supercharger or in combination with other substantial aftermarket upgrades. This claim was made when I was thinking about adding a CAI for my 2010 Camaro SS so a vendor dyno'd every available CAI compared to stock and at best a few HP increase, it simply makes it a little louder at wide open throttle. Not worth it unless it is to make the engine look prettier...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just my .02... A motor is basically a big air pump. If you open up the air intake and air exhaust and dial in the air fuel mixture over a stock set up, logic dictates that your motor/pump should have a increase in performance. The question you are asking is there an increase in "noticeable" performance?

I'm not sure because I would think that you would need a dyno to test the difference in set ups and I have not done that with my rig.

I am guessing that you will see an increase in performance based on my assumption above but price/performance gain ratios, return on investments and opportunity cost may mean that the investment is not sound or that it may take many years to recoup your cost. However there is the wow factor gain (increased/better sound/looks) that may offset your cost and increase the value of your investment making your purchase of a CAI/muffler/tune worthwhile... We each have to decide for ourselves if it's worth it...

Personally, I have a feeling that if the auto industry did not have so many restrictions and guidelines that they have to follow, we would all be driving a some what different factory stock Raptor, which I think would include the CAI, muffler, tune and different suspension... The engineers seam at times to have their hands tied by Uncle Sam... :gun:

But like I said, this is just my .02...:popc1:

:cowb:

·
Registered
36 Posts
+1 to TTWO. I searched around and did the homework for the camaro... Best on the market was about 12 hp increase... In a camaro, it takes at least a 10 hp increase to be noticeable... In this 7300 lb GVW beast? I'm betting at least 20 hp to get any wow factor...

·
Registered
693 Posts
the stock intakes are honestly good enough unless, as I said above, you are adding a turbo or supercharger that requires far more air flow. It may sound better but the numbers just don't support buying it for extra power. sorry.

Again, some people add them just for the look. I did on my Camaro and it looks nice, but doesn't do anything else.

·
Registered
194 Posts
One benefit I noticed on my 2010 was that the CAI actually helped a lot with the exhaust drone (Magnaflow kit). 2012 is still stock.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an AIRAID CAI, AIRAID Throttle Body Spacer, JBA Headers, custom exhaust and tune on my '02 FX4 and its a completely different truck. Plus the spacer makes an awesome noise. Makes it hard to keep my foot of the pedal. I think the CAI helps with the overall flow of air in the engine. As far as bang for the buck? Not sure if just adding a CAI alone is worth it. My .02 anyway. Good luck.

·
Registered
395 Posts
To add some real dyno numbers to this discussion, here are the results on our intake system installed onto a 6.2L Raptor.

Our Intake made 11 rwhp alone and another 20rwhp when combined with our custom tuning and no other supporting mods.

Here are links to the items. If you would like to order, feel free to do so online or give me a call directly.

HPE Air Intake

HPE Air Intake w/ Programmer

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just to reemphasize these intakes are just that.... Intakes. Being in the same place as the stock filter its not drawing any colder air. All of the air is being drawn from the engine compartment regardless. A true cai would pull the air from closer to the ground where it is actually cooler

·
Registered
693 Posts
:) a businessman will tell you what you want to hear to sell his product. We are telling you the facts that it just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just installed airaid's intake and I can tell you right now that IMO its well worth the $$. Definitely gives the truck a new tone and I found the extra air flow really woke the truck up!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Less than 6 horsepower and more noise, that's what you get.

Take a peak at my thread on how raise the air intake height on your stock air box. it gives you a tad more sound and it keeps your engine dry.

Head down to your local exhaust shop after you alter the intake tube and get the factory resonator and muffler cut off. Put a decent (under 20 inches long)stainless straight through design muffler in their place and get the guys to bend you a single 3 inch tailpipe and tuck it up high under the body close to the bumper with a downturn.

The back exhaust looks more pleasing to get rid of the pipes hanging down, the exhaust will cost you under $250 at a decent shop and the gains in power will be better than any CAI.

People swore your car was more powerful in the previous days of carbs when you flipped the air cleaner lid. No it did nothing but it sure sounded fast lol.

$300 worth the muffler work and air intake tubing from home depot, the truck is more functional and you save money for the middle perch.

Jeff

·
Registered
118 Posts
i added my k&n cai when i bought the truck and it makes a big difference!!! not only that its easier and good for the engine.i did the exhaust too..3 in all the way back to muff (magnaflow wide opens...ford racing tips

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Less than 6 horsepower and more noise, that's what you get.

Take a peak at my thread on how raise the air intake height on your stock air box. it gives you a tad more sound and it keeps your engine dry.

Head down to your local exhaust shop after you alter the intake tube and get the factory resonator and muffler cut off. Put a decent (under 20 inches long)stainless straight through design muffler in their place and get the guys to bend you a single 3 inch tailpipe and tuck it up high under the body close to the bumper with a downturn.

The back exhaust looks more pleasing to get rid of the pipes hanging down, the exhaust will cost you under $250 at a decent shop and the gains in power will be better than any CAI.

People swore your car was more powerful in the previous days of carbs when you flipped the air cleaner lid. No it did nothing but it sure sounded fast lol.

$300 worth the muffler work and air intake tubing from home depot, the truck is more functional and you save money for the middle perch.

Jeff
The tuner/intake combo dropped my 0-60 time about 3/4 second...

If done properly (actually TUNED for it) the intake adds a decent gain, and the tune itself also adds a tremdous amount to how the truck drives. Buy just an intake and throwing on without a tune is never a good idea. When done right there are significant gains to be had, not just "noise".

http://www.raptorforumz.com/showthread.php?t=13626

·
Registered
693 Posts
This debate has gone on over and over in every performance car and truck forum on the internet and in the end everyone that buys a CAI alone to improve performance will fall into 1 of 3 categories:

1) those that are honest with themselves and admit that it was not worth the $$ but realize that at least you get a little different sound on Wide Open Throttle.

2) those in denial that really think that it gives them better performance all by itself, they can't prove it, but they remain convinced...(they usually give can find one or two hints of data that try to support their product but no one else can repeat their data) (just like vortex gas mileage improving devises)

3) those that are too proud to admit they wasted their money and so will defend their purchase to others no matter how little evidence they can produce.

Modern performance engines are built with sufficient intakes already. Buy a CAI for looks, for sound, but be honest with yourself, it won't do squat for performance...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts