F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a 2010 Mustang GT 5 speed 4.6L with Comp Cams Mutha Thumprs before I purchased the Raptor. I have a 5.4L and im looking to put cams in it (can get some FRPP Hot Rods for 400 from my buddy)

with that all said, how do you guys like a cammed truck with an automatic? how does it perform on a daily basis/street manners? other than the change of idle quality did anything else change? im avgeraging about 16-17 MPG if im nice on the throttle (my mustang went from 18 to 12 but the cams were a lot larger and more aggressive) Im on the fence about doing this mod again due to random check engine lamps for P0300, and poor fuel economy

I am not sure if the Raptors respond the same way that the mustang did? whats everyones first hand experience with FRPP cams in the 5.4L raptor?

·
Registered
403 Posts
i never get any random check engine lights. my drive ability is okay when going, but when slowing down to a stop i've noticed a little bit of surging. this is obvious because of the camshafts tho. push the brake a little harder and it's no big deal. sometimes when im creeping below 5mph with foot off the gas it will rock the truck a little. it can be annoying but i rarely get in that scenario. for the sound, it's totally worth the loss of mpg lol. i wish i had your mustang..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what kind of mileage are you getting now? i am still up in the air about doing them because i pull my jetski trailer. i dont know how the truck will react to the cams and a trailer. sounds like a recipe for a bad day when i back it into the boat launch

·
Registered
7 Posts
Low speed dirvability can be tuned back with the tune. Takes time on the dyno and street. Also keep in mind what is acceptable to one person may not be to anither in terms of drivability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts