F-150 Raptor Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Well, I have been washing my engine bay for 35 years with cold water and only thing that has happens was years ago you would get water under the dist cap and have to wipe it out before you could drive away... We all know you dont dump cold water directly on the exhaust and just leave it there... But nothing will happen while you are pressure washing it and just spray some on it... You never spray directly on the electric connections...

·
Registered
606 Posts
How close were you to flooding your truck in that river (?).

LMAO - that was a pic from the article he linked too in that post :hah:

I agree it does look like a river. If I remember that article correctly, that mud bog (aka river) is actually at the Ford proving ground in Romeo, MI. Pretty serious looking. I'd love to take someone else's truck through there :Wow1:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Oh, shit, my bad! lol

It looks like it's borderline flood out, but hell of alot of fun! Well, in somebody else's truck anyway. ;)

·
Banned
534 Posts
On my Mustang when I used to Daily Drive it, (I never let the engine bay get dirty anyway), but F21 Tire Shine by Armor All works MAGIC on engine cleaning.

NEVER do I spray water on the engine in large amounts. If I do, I wrap anything electronic that I think could get messed up with aluminum foil. I spray degreaser over an area to be cleaned and then I use a brush or rag to clean it up. Then, after al that's done, I take the aforementioned F21 tire spray and soak down everything lightly and close the hood.

The heat from the engine really makes a perfect arena for that stuff to work. After that, most has evaporated, wipe down the rest and you'll be set!

and here it is now...

Lastly,

Here is the main post from a thread abuot the F21 engine cleaning procedure from the Mach1Registry. Not sure if pictures are there or not, as photobucket is blocked at work.

I posted this thread over on SVT and have gotten a lot of feedback, figured some of you would enjoy an easy process to clean and dress the motor..

My process usually goes something like this:

1. Make sure the engine is WARM not hot, and then hose the motor down with water, and after that, spray on your degreaser or AIO cleaner to help loosen up all the gunk...
2. Let that sit for about 1-3 minutes (depending on how dirty the motor is)
3. Preferably pressure clean off (If not just hose off/brush with your misc brushes in order to properly remove all of the grease/grime/dirt)
4. While wet, spray on your tire foam and close the hood
5. Open the hood 15-20 minutes later and wipe everything down, the tire foam should be dissolved and everything should look pretty good! (You may also start the motor after you foam it to help the water/foam evaporate faster...)

(I didn't degrease my engine as it was already fairly clean, just some dirt and dust here and there, so I just lightly pressure washed the motor before I dressed it with F21)

In review of the F21, its a cheap, nice product that can get you pretty nice results if you know how to use it (its so easy its ridiculous!) and I love how the plastic/rubber feels when its dry, its very smooth and not greasy to the touch at all...I've done this before with AA and I thought it was a little glossier/greasier but I prefer the matte look and I think this will help repel some of the dirt and dust!!!

Before/Afters:

During Foam stage :chuckle:

After:

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are a lot of electronics under the hood with a lot of connections. They do not like getting water in them. Using pressure washers in the engine bay is a bad idea.
Stick with the garden hose.

noelvm

·
Registered
44 Posts
I noticed a lot of exposed electrical connections under the hood (particularly the control modules on the passenger side) - has anyone had issues with things not working after an engine wash on a Raptor? Any places (other than the obvious) to avoid spraying?

·
Registered
252 Posts
JFKBlue: I spayed under the hood with a pressure washer... with water only... and did not spray anywhere with much force. It worked to get most of the dirt off, and didn't do any harm. I would just avoid spraying electrical components and parts that appear sensitive with much pressure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use the shower feature on my garden hose and hold it upside down so the water rains down on the "cold" engine bay, I then use simple green degreaser and let it soak for about 10 minutes. I then use the rain feature again to rinse it off. I then start the engine, close the hood and finish washing the truck. I turn the engine off after about 10 minutes (no the truck is not finished being washed). I then apply "SON OF A GUN PROTECTANT" to the bay and to a rag and wipe it all down. When everything is clean and coated, I wipe it down again with a dry/slighty damp rag.
I do this every other washing and the engine bay always looks new.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm in NY and its cold. We have a self service car wash around here. I knew it was probably bad to wash the hot engine with cold water but I did it anyway. I would never do it again but I had to get the mud out. I doubt I did long term damage to it. Serious warping or cracking I would imagine would take the engine to be completely submerged in icewater. Not a good idea though....

I figured you would at least want the engine warm to evaporate the water from your electrical components. no?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any suggestions on getting baked on Georgia clay off the hoses & engine? I just picked my truck up it is perfect expect for some baked on clay. I sprayed it down with S100 cycle cleaner. I worked for most of the dirt but the clay not going anywhere. I suspect I will have to get in there and give it a good detailing and then keep up with it from there. Any suggestions on a product to use?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Engine Cleaning

Any suggestions on getting baked on Georgia clay off the hoses & engine? I just picked my truck up it is perfect expect for some baked on clay. I sprayed it down with S100 cycle cleaner. I worked for most of the dirt but the clay not going anywhere. I suspect I will have to get in there and give it a good detailing and then keep up with it from there. Any suggestions on a product to use?
Try a MR.CLEAN eraser from walmart or any store really.

Should work wonders on the hoses. :smiley_thumbs_up:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mr Clean eraser

Thanks KTM I will give it a shot. I used to use Top Job or Mr Clean to get the crud off of my MXer. Didn't want to use that on the engine bay but the eraser sounds like a great idea!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Ok, I wanna bump this thread up back to life a bit. I had some oil spill on my engine and I wanna clean it off. So it's 100% safe if I just use my garden hose to rinse the engine off without holding it in one place for too long, right? I just want to know the general consensus here. Never done this type of detailing before

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
I spray degreaser and hose water on mine! No problems so far :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I run the engine for a minute to warm it up. I then spray it with Simple Green (avoiding the hoses and belts) and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I have a hose end attachment that has an adjustment called "rainwater" and from directly above, hose the engine down and do not stay in one place very long. Once the degreaser is rinsed off, I then spray GUNK Engine Shine on the entire engine, close the hood and run for about 5 to 10 minutes. Open hood, wipe down excess and your good to go. Looks like new.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts