Crank-no Start Problem

Discussion in 'GEN 1' started by LZinAZ, Mar 11, 2018.

1. LZinAZ

LZinAZ New Member Military

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Purchased my 2014 SCREW in late August 2017 and loving it. I've been alive long enough to realize people get rid of vehicles for a reason; could be better mileage desired, can't afford the vehicle, mysterious breakdowns, etc. Anytime I purchase a used vehicle I expect to spend $500 to $1,000 the first year or less for repairs, tires, battery, etc..

In my case I had no issues with my truck until December when I was on a trip with the wife to California. We pulled over for gas and groceries in Kingman. Everything was fine. Filled up, paid for it, pulled it forward to a parking spot, made a toilet stop, and got some food. Jumped in to get back on the road and crank-no start. I'd seen some people fooling around near the truck so thought maybe they'd triggered the fuel pump shutoff. Cycled the ignition twice and still crank-no start. Really getting annoyed now. I happened to see a newer Raptor pull up to the pumps and thought I'd ask if he'd seen the problem. He didn't; he'd had an older Raptor but traded it for a 2017 and was happy with it.

Starting to get concerned I decided to check some fuses. In the 2014 the main panel is under hood in the center above the radiator right in front so it is easy access. I noticed some of the circuit breakers were a little higher than others so I pushed down on them and moved some of them close to an eighth of an inch down into the respective sockets. I pushed all the fuses down as far as I could at the same time to ensure everything was seated properly. I stepped around and cranked it and it started--we were back in business!

Later that evening we arrived in Lompoc, CA. The problem was discussed and forgotten as we prepared for the Christmas holiday. A few days later we were asked to help someone move. They were on the side of a hill overlooking the Pacific Ocean. We loaded up the Raptor and then were going to move the truck. Again, crank-no start!!! I checked the fuses and all were seated properly. I pulled a spark plug wire and found I had spark. The problem was fuel related since a vehicle needs air, fuel, and spark to run. I got out the owner's manual and checked the fuses specifically for fuel delivery. I don't have my manual here now but think it was number 27 but it may vary from year to year or model. I pulled the fuse and found one of the posts was burned and carboned up a little. I didn't have any spares so I scraped it off with my pocket knife and re-inserted it. I had someone crank it and was rewarded with a running vehicle. I think I'd had two or three offers for Auto club calls and was a happy guy I didn't need to shame the Raptor by having it towed.

It's been nearly three months now and there's been no recurrence. I've pulled all the mini-fuses to check for carbon tracks and found none. I've replaced that fuse with a new one. I also carry spare fuses in the glove box just in case. Not a clue how it got burned but didn't want to take a chance.

So...if you get a crank-no start check your fuse box(es) to see if something might be causing a circuitry problem.

Hope this helps someone,
    LZinAZ

Big Bill and Rapdav18 like this.
  2. Big Bill

Big Bill Active Member Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2013 Whipple Raptor700+HP
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Hey LZ thanks for sharing that’s what makes this forum Awesome.