F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.svtusa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1190 As of 8/17/09

* The 2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor launches with the proven three-valve Triton 5.4-liter V-8 engine delivering 320 horsepower and 390 ft.-lb. of torque; a new 6.2-liter engine with an estimated 400 horsepower and 400 ft.-lb. of torque becomes available shortly after launch
* Both engines underwent extreme laboratory testing, including running the engines at over 6,000 rpm for more than 150 hours
* The engines also were put to the test in the desert on a 62-mile evaluation loop to prove out the durability demanded by high-performance, off-road enthusiasts

Borrego Springs, Calif., Aug. 17, 2009 – Mike Harrison’s enthusiasm for V-8 engines is apparent. Harrison, Ford Motor Company’s premium V-8 systems manager, is particularly excited about the availability of the new 6.2-liter V-8 that will power the Ford F-150 SVT Raptor.

Producing an estimated 400 horsepower and 400 ft.-lb. of torque, Harrison rattles off the new engine’s components and features quickly and easily, pointing them out and explaining them with more than a trace of pride.

Harrison wants that engine to perform to its maximum capabilities so that customers of the F-150 SVT Raptor won’t have anything to worry about. In short, if the engine can withstand the rigorous testing Ford demands during the development cycle, it can withstand almost anything the most enthusiastic off-roader can dish out, even desert racers.

The testing is intense. It’s cruel, dusty and dirty. By working in the lab to push the engine to its limits, the process simulates how a customer would use the engine. But then it goes a little bit further.

“Running it over 6,000 rpm for more than 150 hours, which is over the peak power limit of the engine, really puts it through its paces,” Harrison said. “We’ve tested it in harsher operating conditions on the engine dyno than would ever be seen by a customer who races.”

Beginning in fall 2006, Harrison and his team tested more than 50 engines, with each running through a dozen separate tests. Evaluations included high-speed durability, crank-torsional testing, aeration and a thermal cycle where the engine is “shocked” from one temperature extreme to another.

As with all Ford programs, attention to detail was a hallmark of the testing process.

“We did a careful teardown of each engine at completion of testing to ensure there absolutely are no issues with the hardware,” Harrison said. “These are very demanding, very stringent tests – far more stringent than anything you would see on a truck – racing or otherwise.”

Testing in the heat
Besides dyno testing, the engine was put to the test in its element – the desert of Borrego Springs, Calif. Important factors such as engine cooling were evaluated on the 62-mile test loop designed by Ford’s Special Vehicle Team (SVT).

Engine cooling is key on Raptor – when the truck is in a desert environment, the hot weather and deep sand put a heavy load on the vehicle, and the engine has to exert maximum power to keep it going through deep sand.

There also is less airflow through the radiator at low speeds, and a large and effective cooling system is required for this extreme environment. To improve airflow to the engine, grille openings were increased by 20 percent.

“We spent a lot of time developing our desert durability test so that it’s very close to replicating the Baja 1000,” said Kerry Baldori, SVT chief functional engineer. “Desert testing proved to be a very quick way to learn about the reliability of the truck and it put another level of extreme loads on the engine that our normal durability testing doesn’t cover.”

Features of the new 6.2-liter V-8 engine include:

* Cast-iron engine block and four-bolt main bearing caps, with additional cross bolts, for durability
* Aluminum cylinder heads, with two valves per cylinder head and two spark plugs per cylinder to more efficiently burn the fuel-air mixture in the combustion
* Single overhead camshaft with roller-rocker shaft drivetrain, which creates a stiff valvetrain that allows optimized camshaft lift profiles and results in better low-speed torque. The roller-rocker shafts allow valve angles to be splayed, resulting in optimized intake and exhaust port layout for better engine “breathing”
* Dual-equal variable cam timing means intake and exhaust valve opening and closing events are phased at the same time to optimize fuel economy and performance throughout the engine speed range and throttle positions

Core to the improvements is using a larger bore and shorter stroke. This approach to creating power has its roots in storied Ford racing engines from the past. The large bore (102 mm) allows for larger intake and exhaust valves for improved engine breathing, and the shorter stroke (95 mm) allows higher engine speed for increased horsepower. Still, peak horsepower is generated at a relatively modest 5,500 rpm. Piston cooling jets squirt oil on the underside of the pistons to keep the piston crowns cool under extreme operating conditions.

Crankcase breathing is also improved to reduce windage losses and oil aeration levels at very high speeds. “That really helps get a robust lubrication system for the engine,” said Harrison. “It allows us to endure a lot of time at extreme high speeds.”

The 2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor launches with Ford’s proven three-valve Triton 5.4-liter V-8 engine. The new 6.2-liter engine will become available in early 2010.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Wish we could nail down some hp/tq numbers. I will just order a 5.4 for only 80hp and 10 tq. Really hoping my hold out for the 6.2 is worthwhile. I wanna beat some of you guys to modding madness.:gy:

·
Registered
129 Posts
It looks like Ford has had plenty of time to determine final numbers and would have announced them by now. Maybe the reason they haven't is because the difference is going to be so great that no one would buy the current 5.4.:Racing:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Chevy guy. Well, I was...

In '03 I needed to buy a truck and went shopping. Chevy had 0.00 that compared to the Harley F150 that I ended up buying. 6-7 years later here I am again, and yet again Chevy (aka GovMo) has less than nothing to compete with Ford offerings.

So much for the wool I had! :wow:

FoMoCo, get that 6.2 here ASAP, I'll take one NOW!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
just take a look at their numbers:

395 NT for the 5.4 and 400 for 6.2 engine !!! not much...major, desert driving really require more NT....not more HP. I think Ford has some thing to say in trems of engine out put when the say 400 NT & 400HP for 6.2 liters engine

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've found that, in 2wd and in the dirt, the ability to throw a roost when needed is most important. Lotsa HP and torque get that done, but the Raptor lacks a bit in that area.
I put in 4:88 gears and it's much better but I get a lot of axle hop on the pavement when spinning the tires. I usually just leave the trac ctrl on when on the street.

Also, if you put the truck in "Off-Road" mode, then press and hold the traction control off button for about 10 seconds, the skid icon on the message center flashes and then you have 100% unimpeded sliding fun available. No more stability control interference.

Here is a post from Greg Foutz, the guy that built and is racing the Raptor R about the "Extreme" off road mode.
http://www.raptoroffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304&referrerid=415
http://www.foutzmotorsports.com/

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've found that, in 2wd and in the dirt, the ability to throw a roost when needed is most important. Lotsa HP and torque get that done, but the Raptor lacks a bit in that area.
I put in 4:88 gears and it's much better but I get a lot of axle hop on the pavement when spinning the tires. I usually just leave the trac ctrl on when on the street.

Also, if you put the truck in "Off-Road" mode, then press and hold the traction control off button for about 10 seconds, the skid icon on the message center flashes and then you have 100% unimpeded sliding fun available. No more stability control interference.

Here is a post from Greg Foutz, the guy that built and is racing the Raptor R about the "Extreme" off road mode.
http://www.raptoroffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304&referrerid=415
I have a blue one here in Troon very close to you.Are you from the dealership???

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a blue one here in Troon very close to you.Are you from the dealership???
Yes, Power Ford.
I've been doin' some mods to my Raptor, trying to overcome the little annoyances.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
just take a look at their numbers:

395 NT for the 5.4 and 400 for 6.2 engine !!! not much...major, desert driving really require more NT....not more HP. I think Ford has some thing to say in trems of engine out put when the say 400 NT & 400HP for 6.2 liters engine
The 395 tq rating is on E85....it's 365 on gas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I dont understand why Ford would come out with a 6.2 engine that makes Less horsepower and torque than its Chevy counterpart of the same displacement?

Flash

·
Registered
114 Posts
Now I know Ford is a big, big company but somewhere someone must be able to find out some hp stats on this new engine???? I am hoping on ordering a 6.2 sometime before this year is over and would like to know more than I do now. I drove a black 5.4 last week and overall the vehicle is great....more horsepower would be nice though. The dealer, a fairly strong one with SVP vehicles said that Ford told him recently that the engine would be rated at 460 horse......Just words though...If these are going to be available to order within the next 60 days they have to know the specs......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sure would be nice to get the final figures on the 6.2. Not ready to order yet but have narrowed it down to white with no graphics. Maybe some day we'll see you (Dick Lyon) in Baja, both of us with Raptors. Have property in Buena Vista to build new casa with view of the Sea of Cortez. Can't wait!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Now I know Ford is a big, big company but somewhere someone must be able to find out some hp stats on this new engine???? I am hoping on ordering a 6.2 sometime before this year is over and would like to know more than I do now. I drove a black 5.4 last week and overall the vehicle is great....more horsepower would be nice though. The dealer, a fairly strong one with SVP vehicles said that Ford told him recently that the engine would be rated at 460 horse......Just words though...If these are going to be available to order within the next 60 days they have to know the specs......

I am sure they do know ball park but the tunes in these engines usually has so much room to play with that they likely just have not decided what to rate it at from the factory. Often thay are under rated and then a tune on top of it makes it even beter :)

I think Jan. is when the order banks open for the 6.2 but what I would like to know in addition to the HP and Torque #'s is the difference in weight and contruction of the internals on th 5.4 vs. 6.2L set ups. I am still a bit off from being able to swing this since we bought a cabin up in MI a few months ago but I will be looking at more than likely the 6.2 because I have issues with power and we all know that saying about displacement...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here's a ford PR response to my 6.2 enquiry.

"Dear Defiant,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding a 2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor 6.2L V8 engine.

Consumer enthusiasm has been outstanding.

There are no details at this time reflecting plans to put this vehicle model into commercial production. From time to time, vehicle models and options are added, deleted or modified. Decisions to make these changes take into account factors such as market trends, customer demands, engineering advances, and dealership input.

The Customer Relationship Center is unaware in advance of changes that our Engineering and Design Team may be making and the specific reasons that the changes may be made in the future. This type of information is considered confidential until the appropriate media statement is released. However, your feedback is collected and used in the decision making process for future model years. We have documented your feedback which will be forwarded to the appropriate department.

Thank you for contacting Ford."

Not too worried. But dissapointing response all the same.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts