F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you have spent much time in the suspension portion of the forum but there is something over there about leveling kits and a a recent article in Four Wheeler mag. (Oct issue) that I thought was pretty cool. The Fox shocks on the front of the truck are manufactured with three detent settings for the lower spring shelf and they are set on the lowest one from the factory. The ride height of the front end can be lifted to level or even front high (like a pre-runner) just by moving the retaining ring up to the middle or top detent. No leveling kit required and shocks do not even have to be removed from the truck to do this. Pretty slick! A little gift from Fox racing I'd say ( and so did Four Wheeler Mag) haha!

·
Registered
126 Posts
...The ride height of the front end can be lifted to level or even front high (like a pre-runner) just by moving the retaining ring up to the middle or top detent.
The only concern with this method is you trade rebound/droop for compression and would be "topping out" the shocks prematurely.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Near as I can tell the detents are only about 1 1/2 inches apart overall and for those that are looking for a little appearance lift and are not really "baja-ing" the truck that shouldn't be a huge concern.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Has anyone actually tried this yet? Do you absolutely have to use a spring compressor? If it's really easy to do (and free) then I would be willing to try it just to see how the truck rides with my trailer. Plus it would help compensate for a front bumber winch too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Fox Shox

Pictures would be great if someone were to try this and to eliminate a leveling kit. As far as the truck sits now in the stock position, how much lower is the front end? Thanks- this is a very fun and informative site. :smileup:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone actually tried this yet? Do you absolutely have to use a spring compressor? If it's really easy to do (and free) then I would be willing to try it just to see how the truck rides with my trailer. Plus it would help compensate for a front bumber winch too.
Yes, you do have to use a spring compressor, and the suspension needs to be at full rebound, tires off the ground and truck NOT supported by the lower control arm. If you are not comfortable using a spring compressor, then you should enlist someone who is. We do these types of adjustments on Fox shocks all the time on snowmobiles and atv's and experimenting is the only way to tell what works best for you. Best of all, it is easy and free. I don't particuliarly like the leveling kits that require spacers on top of the entire shock unit. At rebound, the upper control arms contact the springs(limiting rebound) causing damage.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks. I only asked because I bought a set in the past and I ruined it trying to compress a heavy duty spring. I also tried borrowing one from a local store that loans out tools for free and I could not figure out how to use it, I couldn't fit it into the wheel well with any tools to compress it. Oh well, maybe worth a try with my Raptor. As long as it doesn't hurt anything I can always change it back.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
There are several types of compressors out there and I know for a fact that one set the shop has will work without taking the shock off the truck. However, in a lot of applications, it may be beneficial to remove the shock to do the change. I can't see where the change would hurt your truck a bit. roser's point is noteable in that if you are heavily baja-ing the truck you may change the shock travel a bit, but I am certain that Fox allowed this "adjustment" for a reason. Just like the Fox shocks on the recreational equipment I mentioned in the previous post, there are adjustments to accomodate different usages and personal preferrances.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts