Driver Seat Replacement

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Interior Modifications - Audio/Video' started by Rene Perez, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Rene Perez

Rene Perez New Member

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I'm thinking of removing my driver side leather seat. It's partially torn but thinking on adding cloth seat. Do the cloth seats have the same connection for like power seats and AC connections? It's going to start getting hot here in South texas. Hopefully some one can help me out.

2. LZinAZ

LZinAZ New Member

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Rene, Only recently purchased my 2014 Raptor in Arizona. I don't think you have anything on us regarding heat but I'll give you the edge as it pertains to humidity. A couple thoughts/suggestions on your seats:
    -Can you get some aftermarket seat covers? I've seen them all over the place but I've seen some high quality ones at Cabela's.
    -Can the seats/interior be re-covered by a local upholsterer? I don't know about anything in South Texas but there must be something available within a few hours driving. Houston might not be such a good choice just now but then again.
    -I'm not sure if I've tried it yet but my Raptor has front seat coolers built in. I'd have to check the manual before I go any further. I'm sure your manual covers it; if not, generally if you push enough buttons something good happens.
    Hope some of this helps,
    Larry

Rene Perez likes this.
  3. Rene Perez

Rene Perez New Member

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L

4. Rene Perez

Rene Perez New Member

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    thanks for responding. you are right about Arizona weather. I do have the same raptor package like you do. everything electronic on the seats. A.C./ heated seats but was wondering if I can remove the connections and just install a regular cloth driver seat. don't mind the a.c. and heated seats. what part of arizona you live in. I'm usually in el Paso, tx area but move a lot.

5. LZinAZ

LZinAZ New Member

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I'm in the central highlands near Prescott. We are about 5,000 feet so don't get the Phoenix heat but we do see several weeks of the 90s to 100s plus a year. My wife and I travel to Phoenix a dozen or more times a year also so we are familiar with the higher temps too.

To answer your question about seat removal: I'd be surprised if a check engine light wouldn't come on. I use to be an auto technician and am more familiar with vehicles about 10 years older. I don't remember the exact number but Ford use to have roughly 25 codes just for the pedal assembly motors raising and lowering. I don't have a current scanner so I can't check it on mine by unplugging stuff. I Bing'd Ford seat trouble codes and got this on one of the returned URLs:
    Codes from B0000 to B1000 and B3000 to B4000 are Generic, defined by ISO/SAE.
    Codes between B1000 and B3000 are Manufacturer specific and may not match the ones listed here. Check specific manufacturer pages on the site, as some of them, we list the OBD2 codes on those pages for those specific vehicles.

I'm not sure if they apply to current vehicles though so you might want to check with a Ford dealer or a shop with current scanners. I don't know anyone in the business I can think of or would speak to them for you. Check for the codes first before going much further. If you swap them out and set a check engine light then you'll never know if something else fails unless you pull codes every couple weeks or so.

I think you might be better off contacting a local auto seat upholsterer and have him/her re-skin your leather to something cloth that meets your needs in color, design, etc. Price some seats online; that will give you a figure to work with when you talk to an upholsterer. If the price is the same or close then you can just R & R the seat, have it refinished and install it. The only drawback with this plan is the re-sale value because you couldn't put it back to original before selling it.

Sorry to be so long with the response but there could be a lot of problems if you are not careful.

Larry

Rene Perez likes this.
  6. Rene Perez

Rene Perez New Member

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    preciate the help