F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone mind posting up some pics of the engine compartment near the battery? Dual batteries is gonna be one of my first mods, and I'd like to start thinking about how / where to fab up a custom tray for my truck when it finally comes in. I know Wrangler NW makes a kit for the 2006 F-150, but I don't think the Raptor layout is exactly the same.

Thanks in advance!

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
You can get a battery tray from a Ford Econoline 6.0l diesel and mount it on the frame.
It is a heavy duty metal enclosed tray.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Your best option is to buy an Optima battery. Yellow top, preferrably. You can mount them anywhere and in any position! On its side under the back seat, it doesnt matter

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are a few, not much extra room.

There is however, almost enough room for a set of golf clubs in front of the radiator:D
Thanks for the pictures. It does look pretty tight in there so probably less headache to just move back to the framerail as was suggested.

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
I have a Class C RV and I used the Econoline battery box to add a 2nd battery.
A new box is around $80. Also, you will have to buy the lid and battery hold down clamp.

You can probably find one at a junk yard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your best option is to buy an Optima battery. Yellow top, preferrably. You can mount them anywhere and in any position! On its side under the back seat, it doesnt matter
I would go this route first. Optima batteries are pretty good. I've had a Red Top in my truck for 2-3 years and no problems. We replaced two HUGE RV batteries in our dyno cells with two of the Blue Top Marine batteries, they've been through hell and still work great; over discharged, get too hot, too cold, put one in a modded golf cart and did some wheelies/jumping...they're great and still work just fine.

You can get a battery tray from a Ford Econoline 6.0l diesel and mount it on the frame.
It is a heavy duty metal enclosed tray.
If a Yellow Top doesn't solve your problems, two Yellow Tops with one on the frame using the above method should provide enough power to last quite a long time.

If you're going to run a lot of high current draw off road lights (HIDs) or other accessories, I'd suggest stepping up to a high amp alternator as well. Hope all that helps.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you're going to run a lot of high current draw off road lights (HIDs) or other accessories, I'd suggest stepping up to a high amp alternator as well. Hope all that helps.
I had a high amp alt in my 04 F150, wen I install a stereo in this one, Im gonna see if the alternator fits. I hope so because it worked very well in my 04 with a yellow top altima

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
old thread, but thought I'd update...

I tried to remove the stock battery/tray and fab a custom tray to hold 2 yellow-top optimas. That was impossible. No matter how you rotate the optimas, it's just too tight in large part due to the structural reinforcement Ford put in the engine compartment near the fenders.

I also learned that Ford heat-rivited the wiper fluid receptacle to the plastic battery tray. That means that I have to either get an aftermarket receptacle or carefully dremel the stock recepticle off the battery tray. Both are doable, but more of a PITA than I thought.

So I'm picking up 2 Odyssey 1200's tomorrow and will give this another go. I decided against the framerail mount for now, as I'd prefer not to have a battery down there when driving through the muck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm looking at installing a second battery this week. Did you ever get this figured out?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tutorial for Raptor Dual battery setup to run a fridge...

Bajabob, I was looking for an answer to the same question, here is my setup.
I was planning on posting this mod once finished, however I thought I would share now if you're going to make a decision this week :smiley_thumbs_up:...
My objective was to run a 12V drawer-style compressor fridge in the bed. I was OK to have a deep-cycle battery in the bed rather than under the hood as I did not want to mess up with running wires under the frame...
After some research, I concluded that in my case having a power inverter connected to an onboard battery charger was a simpler and better solution, compared to a classical dual-battery setup (running cables under the hood and to the bed, risk of deteriorating the starting battery by connecting it to a lower amp. deep-cycle, etc.)

Look at the pics:
1- (Before...) Battery was charged at home, and connected to the fridge during trips (here is a sample of Big Bend NP dust, by the way... :gy:). Max autonomy was insufficient, approx. 2-3 days (this is a 120Ah deep cycle, and fridge's compressor is a Danfoss DB35, draws 4Amps max)
2- (During...) I optimized the layout by attaching the battery on the left of the fridge. I installed a voltmeter (with light) on the battery box so that I could monitor the level of the battery. I ran a 7-pin trailer wire from the standard hitch connector to the inside of the bed. The only mod I had to do was to drill a 1/2 hole on the left side of the bed.
3-4 This is a great setup as while driving the standard F150 hitch wiring provides 11Amps to the power inverter and the battery charger (the CTEK is a 7Amp). When not driving, everything can stay connected but no charge is provided (the CTEK draws minimal amp from the deep-cycle battery). When not using the fridge for extended period of time, I can just disconnect the 7-pin connector from the hitch, and connect it to a dummy female connector that I attached inside the bumper so that it stays clean. The cable is a Hopkins 7-pin molded trailer wire connector 8'.
5-6 This is the final plan to have a nice fit and finish, and avoid having things bouncing around while off-roading. I cut an aluminum plate to the correct size and intends to attach the battery charger and inverter on it to the vertical left panel inside the bed...

Hope this helps many Raptor owners, this is a great setup to have cold drinks handy while off-roading or the food for the family when we go camping...
Let me know your thoughts...
:smileup::smileup::smileup:

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
Im not trying to sound like a smart azz, but doesnt a cooler with ice work well too without clogging up your bed so much? Just seems like an aweful lotta work for the result. Sell me on this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Depends on what you do, of course kinda overkill if you go just for the day... However if you are on a trip for a week , that's another story! :thk:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Good work BSL. Nobody likes their ice cold drinks after a day of pounding the backcountry more than me. When we head out on long excursions on the quads I take a small cooler that plugs into the 12 volt receptacle. :smiley_thumbs_up:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts