F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and thanks for the add. I have a 2012 Raptor and have searched for the answer to this but not found anything.

Is it normal that in 4WH, the rear diff is locked or locked 'partially'? When I engage 4WH and turn, the inside wheel drags without manually locking the diff. Seems wrong to me, but I don't have much experience with 4WD systems to be 100% sure

·
Administrator
1,587 Posts
If you are NOT in off road mode, in 2H the rear diff automatically disengages above 12 mph, in 4H it disengages above 25 mph and in 4L it disengages above 62 mph.

IF you are in off road mode, it will not automatically disengage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are NOT in off road mode, in 2H the rear diff automatically disengages above 12 mph, in 4H it disengages above 25 mph and in 4L it disengages above 62 mph.

IF you are in off road mode, it will not automatically disengage.
What I mean is that if I select 4H WITHOUT manually locking the diff and turn the truck at crawling speed, the inside rear wheel drags as though the diff has been locked automatically.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In 4 wheel drive, hi or low, your front and rear diff is mechanically locked together. There is no "slip" in the transfer case. So when you turn there is always one front tire mechanically connected to a rear tire. They are moving at a different rate. Since there is more weight on the front of your truck the back tire will seem to "drag". This is why it's not recommended to engage 4 wheel drive on a surface that has a lot of traction. Like dry pavement, you can break something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts