F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago the dealer replaced a rear tail light assembly due to moisture issues. The moisture caused a short which impacted blind spot, rear traffic, tire pressure monitoring, restraint control and cross-traffic systems. The replacement assembly solved those issues. Since that time I have been having issues with the automatic tailgate - it likes to open on its own, sometime triggered by opening the drivers door or locking the car. The signal is often sent multiple times so there is nothing you can do to close the tailgate until it stops. The tailgate has opened randomly on the highway too - key sitting undisturbed in the cup holder. Has anyone had similar issues? Dealer is 10 days out for an appointment. Any thoughts, suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
W,
Probably shouldn't be responding at all as I've never seen this and have a '14 SCREW so nothing I have matches your issue. Purely guessing a ground is loose somewhere; possibly corroded since you are back east and up north. I don't have a wiring diagram to refer to for your year/model so can't be of any help at all. The random-ness of it makes it feel like a loose connection in the ground. I guess it could be a hot wire somewhere also but I'd think you'd notice something not working. I'd focus in the area around the replaced light assembly and see what you can see. Some things to think about:
-Does the tailgate drop when you hit a bump? Maybe have a friend bounce the truck while you are underneath looking at stuff. You might see something moving or arcing.

-Does it drop if you change directions, going forward put in reverse and it drops?

-When the event occurs check quickly for non-working things. This might indicate it is a hot wire with insulation scuffed off.

Look for any connections and push the connectors together tighter. It might not hurt to separate them and reseat them ensuring they are tight. Hopefully you'll find something that resolves it. A much more difficult situation will be a wire that has scuffed thru the insulation and periodically grounds out causing the problem. Those can be found by working in a darkened area, I mean dark, and wiggling wires until you see a spark. I would think the ignition would have to be on unless the problem occurs with the truck parked and not moving in the driveway. I've had luck with this even though it sounds crazy. Stay focused in the area around where the light assembly was replaced or if you've had other work done or have added aftermarket items, i.e. lights, bumpers, etc.

These can be difficult problems to find and are never fun for the technician working on them. Not sure I've got anything else to offer. Be sure to update us here. It may pop up on another Forum person's truck and he or she can resolve it quickly with your feedback.

Hope you find the problem,
LZinAZ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LZ,
I greatly appreciate your thoughts and insights.
My 2018 Raptor for the moment remains stock and is only a year old so corrosion would be a bit troubling. Yes it lives outside which has never been a problem for the other cars I own but clearly may be problematic given how poorly the truck is sealed. The Dealer resealed the doors pursuant to the recall/advisory issued by Ford for freezing issues and the moisture in the real taillight assembly.
Right now the tailgate only seems to open when you open one of the doors, and occasionally for no reason at all when the car is parked. The turn signal, transmission shifts, nor bumps in the road (I live on a dirt road) do not seem to cause an issue, and at the time being all other systems appear to be working properly.
Electrical issues are not my forte. So as to not invalidate my warranty I am at the mercy of my dealer for at least this next visit.
Many thanks again for your thoughts. I will keep you posted as to what we find.
Cheers,
W.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.