Engine Code P0234 Engine Overboost

Discussion in '2017 Ford Raptor Forum' started by Mis Ruby, Nov 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rapdav18

Rapdav18 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2018 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Thanks weekendwarriorf. That sounds amazing. I am going to look into doing that too! What a smart idea!

2. Rapdav18

Rapdav18 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2018 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Mis ruby, I was able to speak to a tech at Ford. I will fill everyone in tonight when I get home. Too much to type and explain now. There will be new updates available in 2 weeks. Plus Whipple will be able to get your issues addressed. They are revising the software now.

3. Rapdav18

Rapdav18 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2018 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Mis Ruby, Whipple does have the calibration tool available now. If you purchase their kit today the programmer/code erase comes with the kit. Prior purchases did not receive it. Cost is 450.00. I think you would benefit from weekendwarriorf info. You could clear code and write code. Whipple stated that they are working on their updates now. The Ford tech told me that they put many failsafe triggers in place. Most of the fail safes are to protect the engine from itself. The shut down triggers include/ fuel pressure sensor/knock sensor/voltage sensor/exhaust gas temp/intake manifold pressure. If any of these values are not optimal the truck will shut down/shake and just plain have a mechanical seizure triggered by the PCM. Code P0234 engine overboost is exheeding the intake manifold pressure. A bone stock Raptor is capable of exhiding 15 psi. The fix is easy. Take your truck to a Professional Tuner shop. They will erase all failsafes adjust all of the values and then add new higher failsafe limits. Bigger intercooler alone is worth 3 lbs of psi. Which will trigger P0234. Whipple said their kit adds the 3psi to the mid range power. Maybe that's why you triggered the code at half throttle. I wonder if you exceeded the boost range that early. Meaning power spooled up so quick. I would probably have them flash your original Pcm. Keep the new one stock for back up.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  4. CAM

CAM New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2017 Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    WRONG! The speed rating for the KO that is on the Raptor is "S" and is the speed rating for 112 MPH, which is why the limiter engages at around 110 MPH. Don't trust me! Everyone can look at: Tire Speed Ratings Chart | BFGoodrich Tires

Its probably a real bad idea to exceed the speed rating, which is why I have no desire to put all the aftermarket products on my truck. Additionally, the limiter is most likely the reason why roll-over only got 4 star rating. I live the high performance high speed life with my lightning but, I like the Raptor so much I rarely drive it.

My issue with the tires is that they have worn exceptionally fast for only 5k miles.... It is typical of Ford to put soft tires on their vehicles, my lightning was no exception. Longest lasting tire on my lightning has been the Hankook tire with a speed rating of "Y" which is good for 186 MPH.

I highly doubt I will stick with the KO as I have read too much negative issues on them. For me, no way in hell should a tire have the amount of wear mine has at only 5k miles.... Anyone else with the same issue?

For all you having over-boost issues, the only fix is to go get the truck professionally dyno tuned. We all drive Raptors, but they are not all exactly the same. Cookie cutter tunes are a sure way to have your engine destroyed. I know this from experience and about $16,000 in repairs and engine replacements with my lightning. Trust me, you don't want to go down that path. However, a professional Dyno tune will resolve your problems!

By the way JJ, I plan on learning from your jack issues and do something similar! Thanks for that info!

Rapdav18 likes this.
  5. CAM

CAM New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2017 Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Side note on limiter... in my previous post I referred to the roll-over rating of 4 stars was a result of the limiter. Meaning: If the limiter wasn't there, the roll-over rating would most definitely be one or two stars. The higher your speed the lower the rating. Personally, I know what 150+ MPH feels like and I could not imagine doing speeds over 110 in a Raptor. Its designed for off road not street racing.

Rapdav18 likes this.
  6. Mis Ruby

Mis Ruby New Member

Vehicle?:
    2017 RAPTOR
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    RapDav18

That is great info from Ford and Whipple. Glad Whipple Resonded to you. I’ve yet to hear back from them.

I do plan on keeping the new pcm stock and would and buy the kit to clear codes on Reclabrated PCM. As far as programming, I’ve yet to find anyone in dfw area that will work on Raptor performance mods like this. The one tech that programmed my 03 Harley after I installed Cams, headers and pulley won’t touch them. He travels to different city’s to tune Vehicles.

If anyone knows of anyone in Dallas, Auston, Houston or San Antonio I would make the trip.

Rapdav18 likes this.
  7. Rapdav18

Rapdav18 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2018 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Hi Mis Ruby, I spent an hour on hold with whipple but well worth it. Jeff did say despite updates and tunes the whipple programmer will not keep the original Ford stock tune. It goes away forever. So look at other software. This might sound nuts but Call Gas Monkey Garage. Richard Rawlings has a new tuner shop with an extremely smart Russian guy. This guy understands how turbos and computers work together. Gas Monkey is in Dallas. Cant hurt to ask. This Russian guy tunes the street outlaw vehicles, they all work together. They all are running Twin turbos. The name of that shop is abel racing.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Mis Ruby likes this.
  8. JAMES A DAVIS

JAMES A DAVIS Member

Vehicle?:
    2017 FORD RAPTOR S-CREW
    Color?:
    Avalanche
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Cam.............

The stock jack issue is a total joke. All they did was toss in a standard issue piece of krap from any piece of krap vehicle made in the last forty years. A scissor jack is a goddamned joke. Your gonna lift a several thousand pound truck with your wrist muscles?? Yah right!

I got it figured out now, two five ton hydraulic bottle jacks, two 4" x 6" oak blocks and a High Lift Jack Sand Plate.

The BFG KO's are another joke. Just standard krap issued on every kind of "off road" vehicle from Toyota to Chev to Dodge. They are not "off road" tires at all and will never ever be. Strictly on the pavement over priced cheap shit.

I just haven't had the time to upgrade to six new Goodyear Wranglers YET!

As for my regular 135 mph. speeds, when I look at my speedo and think about living another day with those BFG tires between me and the pavement my little wiener starts to go limp. Glad the wife is reading a book!

JJ

CAM and Mis Ruby like this.
  9. Rapdav18

Rapdav18 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2018 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Ok its time to say to Mr.JJ your my hero! I hope I have the balls at 69 years young to drive a Raptor the way you do! You and Cam made my night!

CAM and Mis Ruby like this.
  10. Mis Ruby

Mis Ruby New Member

Vehicle?:
    2017 RAPTOR
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    RaptrDav18

I know where their shop is. If they are doing it in Cali I’m sure they are doing it here. (I hope!) They are like a half mile from my shop.

Whipple did reflash my PCM and clear the code at no cost when it happened. All I had to do is pay shipping to Cali. Guess I shouldn’t be so bold talking about their customer service. You’ve acquired the answers I was looking for. Do you know if they are shipping the programmers out yet?

Thanks
    David J

Rapdav18 likes this.
  11. CAM

CAM New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2017 Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Ford use to be exclusive wranglers back in the day and they sucked then... Are they better now? What is the best all terrain tire? Anyone Know? I have appointment tomorrow to plead my case on these shit KO's at Ford dealership. The first time I checked tire pressure was around 1500 miles and they were set at 57 to 59 PSI. Tire says max psi is 48; truck decal says 38 psi. When I was in the military, inspection of tires was based on door decal! So, my tires were 20 psi over inflated. I have chunks of rubber pealing off the rear tires but only in the middle. These KO's are absolute junk, but I am going to fight for 2 new ones. Let you all know results of my debate/persuasion skills. JJ, your last two lines had me LMAO... I will be setting my jack system same as yours. Did it all fit in the storage bin?

Rapdav18 likes this.
  12. CAM

CAM New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2017 Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    By the way, hope you all installed catch cans so oil doesn't build up on your valves. Remember, our engine direct sprays gas into the pistons versus the valves, which means the valves do not get cleaned by the fuel. This causes caking on you valves, which reduces performance and engine longevity. Put mine in at 400 miles. At 4000 miles I drained about 6 ounces of nasty water, oil and god knows what other chemicals were in that brown nastiness. The catch can is a simple 20 minute install and cost $399: look here: 2017-2018 F150 & Raptor 3.5L EcoBoost UPR Dual-Valve Oil Catch Can 5030-221

Mis Ruby, Rapdav18 and RAPTOR2 like this.
  13. Mis Ruby

Mis Ruby New Member

Vehicle?:
    2017 RAPTOR
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    I have not installed a catch can but been researching them. Think I’ll order one this week.

14. Rapdav18

Rapdav18 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2018 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    I put mine on at 60 miles on my truck. Best investment ever! An absoloute must Cam knows. Nevada gas sucks! Mis Ruby/best money spent as a preventative filter Mod. Hey Cam we have the identical trucks and same color. We live 10 Min away from each other, what are the odds. Only in Vegas! lol

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Mis Ruby likes this.
  15. Rapdav18

Rapdav18 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2018 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Mis Ruby/ as per the whipple computers. Yes they are shipping them now. The newest updates will not be available till the end of January 2018. If you do order it,future updates will be sent to your e-mail and you can upload it into your programmer via USB.

Always welcome- David

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Mis Ruby likes this.
  16. Rapdav18

Rapdav18 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2018 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    2004 Corvette C5 with LS6 engine was just ultra schooled by my Raptor. 60 foot 7 Truck lenghth lead. 300 foot 10 truck lead. Quarter mile win all 4 passes. He passes me after quarter mile at 123 mph. I am 2000 lbs heavier too. The 10 speed in sport mode did the job. No engine issues ran great. Next I need to go to midnight mayhem at the speed way and school some mustangs! This truck works!

17. CAM

CAM New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2017 Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    LOL! Lets get it sparked up here in Nevada and maybe get some out of towners to come have desert fun with us!

18. CAM

CAM New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2017 Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Shoot me a notice!

19. CAM

CAM New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2017 Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Go to you tube and watch catch can drain videos... You will wish you had one on yesterday!

Rapdav18 likes this.
  20. Rapdav18

Rapdav18 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2018 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    To Cam/ I am Crazy busy with work today but will definitely shoot you a message. We will get together soon. -David