F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[FONT=&quot]more power from the original 5.4 engine. If you change the camshafts in the engine, in addition to the new air filtration system, and make a custom set of long tube headers plus the complete dual exhaust system, to optimize the exhaust flow, combined with the new cams, and intake plus computer tuning, this will increase the torque to 415 ft/lbs, and the power to 370 hp. If we change the axle ratio to 4.56 instead of only 4.30, this will multiply the torque at the wheel for more 450, and I believe this will give you a good combination. [/FONT]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thats interesting, i was actually looking for a supercharger system, but if an N/A engine would produce that much torque at the wheels, i'll be more than happy, any idea where i can get those parts, most importantly the cams?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats interesting, i was actually looking for a supercharger system, but if an N/A engine would produce that much torque at the wheels, i'll be more than happy, any idea where i can get those parts, most importantly the cams?
Sean Hyland motersporting will do all this upgrading.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do some research on SHP before you do any business with them. More than a few mustang enthusiast have been burned in the past.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Stay far away from SHM ,they burned me on my Lightning motor in 2003 ,took $2700 to fix it not to mention my labor to pull the engine and reinstall it. They are in Canada ,try suing somebody in Canada , it wasn't worth it. I am hoping ,I will run into him at SEMA .:3-smash:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I could not PM you back Top Gear ,so here is my situation. My friend i can give you the short version of story , I ordered a full long block with all the best stuff ,cams head porting so on. When i installed the engine and first fired it ran for about 30 seconds and died then it would not restart without give it alot of gas. I shut it off and tried it would turn over very fast there was no compression. i towed it to a mechanic they dealt with near me and pulled the valve covers ,the cam gears broke the key on the cams so they were all out of time. I called them and SHM said they would pay to put stock cams back in . I had that done, picked up the truck and on the 60 mile trip home i started hearing a knock that got louder ,like a power stroke diesel. took it back and they said nothing was wrong change the oil ,BS ,then i was getting oil in the coolant. I so mad looked at legal action ,but being in canada it was a bunch of red tape. I took it a local guy and he listened to it and said it was the wrist pins. I pulled the motor and dropped it off, he disaassmbled it and found 3 pistons ovaled out at the pin ,thats where noise was coming from, so i needed new pistons ,pins and rod bushings and light hone for the new rings and reassembly. All i can say is go with somebody with a good Reputation , JDM is very good in the Lightning world ,MMR is a good engine builder ,my guy Duffee Motorsports , has done 4 lightnings local to me , i was the first and we are all 10 second trucks. He is expensive but very meticulous and takes his time. Let me know if you need any more info. Shawn Kainrath

·
Registered
208 Posts
geese that sucks ..what engine build did u buy , they did my 03 had it built in 04 never had any issues to this date yet lol was it dyno tested before shiped

·
Registered
168 Posts
It wasn't dyno tested , consider yourself lucky . I ordered their Lightning 5.4 ,2 valve heads, manley pistons and rods, cams and ported heads. The whole problem, besides the cams were the wrist pins weren't polished, stock pins had way more of a polish to them and they just wore the piston pin holes out. Then the head gasket was leaking. That engine was $8000 from SHM,and 500 miles on it, I spent $2700 to fix what was messed up. Then spent another $2500 because i had extra cash, on some major head porting ,bigger valves ,cams, I could of started out with a new stock long block and still came out ahead. I know i will never get whats owed but , I know I have cost him tens of thousands from lost buisness, by telling my story. He is almost non existant in the Lightning relm. Do a google search is all i can say.

·
Registered
208 Posts
holy that perty crazy..and they never fixed it up for u thats even worse!ide be wild too.one good thing about these lightning engines is that their dam near industructiable they go and go..

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I was gonna say something about SHM but, I haven't dealt with them myself, I have heard nothing but negative about them though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts