Fitment And Customer Service Problems With My Rogue Bumper...

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Exterior Modifications' started by tbone23455, Mar 17, 2017.

1. tbone23455

tbone23455 New Member Military

Vehicle?:
    '13 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I did a lot of research on bumpers and finally bought from Rogue Racing on January 6th of this year. I was told on the phone they would ship around January 27th. I made certain of this and put it in my calendar as I was traveling that month. January 27th came and went, and no calls or emails from Rogue Racing.
    I called on February 15th, two weeks after they were supposed to have been sent out, they gave me another deadline which was missed, then I finally received them on February 27th.
    When I opened the box, I noticed that the bumpers were built wrong, that is, one of the other $100 options I specified (mesh skins) was not correct (dimple skins instead). Also, I had ordered them with a set of fog lights for $199, and they weren't there either. I immediately called and they informed me they would refund me $399 for the two $100 mistakes and the lack of the $199 lights. That refund was sent on March 6th, a week later.
    The next day I installed the front bumper and winch plate and winch(which fit fine), and made my first attempt at the rear bumper. After a couple hours with no success getting it to fit, I called Rogue. I spoke with them a couple times as I was working, and finally spoke to the owner, Ryan, and he said that when they send them out to get Line-X coating(an optional offering), that can mess up the tight tolerances they construct the bumpers with. I have no clue why they Line-X the mounting areas instead of taping that off, but again, whatever. He suggested I take all the Line-X off where the bumper wasn’t fitting.
    I removed it everywhere it could mess up the fitment. License plate box and mounting tabs. I then rattle canned the bare metal and let it dry for a few days. All this was at Ryan, the owner’s suggestion. Not the way I want to go on a brand new $1600 item, but whatever.
    On Sunday March 8th I attempted to install the rear bumper again. It still wouldn’t fit. This is when I pulled out the tape measure and figured out that the rear bumper had been built wrong. See picture below. 
    rogue2.jpg
    The mounting bracket on the back of my truck is ~7.5". The Rogue bumper fits over the tab on the top, and fits under the tab on the bottom. You’ll notice that the clearance required is ~7.5 inches.

You can see on the next picture that the tape measure is up against the underside of the top of the bumper, as far as it can go. The bottom of the tape shows that the point at which the mounting tab, the scraped-up item with the hole in it, is welded to the bumper tube allows just ~7 inches of clearance, not the ~7.5 needed to fit on my mounting bracket.
    rogue1.jpg

In the picture the tab is bent at about a 35 degree angle, that is why you see so much of it as you’re looking straight down at it. It is intended to stick out at 90 degrees from the weld point, in which case you’d see it on edge. The owner, Nick, told me to bend the tab down a little as well as bend the tab on my frame mounting bracket on the truck (previous picture, you can see where I’ve bent it a bit) to get it to fit. I bent it quite a bit, as you can see, bent my truck, ground off the coating that they put on it that messed up the tight tolerances, and there was no way it was going to fit. The paint scrapes on the tab in the above picture are from where it was hitting on the truck bracket. As you can see, it’s nowhere NEAR close to fitting.
    rogue3.jpg

This shows the bumper mounted on my truck. The bumper tab, which I cut off, sticks straight out from where it was welded. As you can tell from where the cut is, there is no possible way the bumper mounting tab would have been able to slide below the truck mounting tab as it is supposed to. Cutting off the tab was the only way I had to get my truck street legal and safe to drive. Now, the bumper is not secure on the truck, and rattles.

I called the place the next day and spoke to Nick, sent him these same pictures, and he said he’d have the owner get right back to me. On Monday the 9th, I emailed again as no one had gotten back to me, and he said he’d get the owner to call me. The owner then called late that afternoon and said he’d look into it, and do whatever he needed to “make it right”. He never called me back. I waited five days, until the 14th to call again, and left a message. After a bit of phone tag, we spoke today, March 16th, and he told me that the best he could do was send me a new bumper….for $900. Retail is $1599. At this point I calmly laid out the issues and mistakes his company had made, poor communication, missed deadlines and wrong items shipped, as well as sending me a bumper that I can prove, with pictures, doesn’t fit, and he became combative and told me that I didn’t know what I was doing. I got pretty pissed and said some shit I shouldn't and hung up on him.
    So, any thoughts guys? All I want is this to be made right. I have no interest in ruining someone's business or taking them for a ride.

2. mustangbesos

mustangbesos Well-Known Member

Vehicle?:
    2010 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Tuxedo Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Call him back, he's not a bad dude, they obviously have some issues going on at the shop. We all fly off the handle when we are passionate about our raptors. Try again!

3. tbone23455

Vehicle?:
    '13 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I called him several times...trying to figure out why the bumper wouldn't fit, then to try to work out a solution to the ill-fitting bumper they sent me. He said he'd send me a new one for wholesale. That's not satisfactory. I know they're a smallish business and obviously having issues right now, so I don't want a brand-new free one and all my money back, but I do want them to take responsibility for what is demonstrably their fault. I don' t think that's too much to ask.
    They have my number and email. I kinda think it's on them at this point.

4. mustangbesos

Vehicle?:
    2010 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Tuxedo Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Yeah, a new one for wholesale sounds ridiculous to me, only knowing your side of things, they should make the one you have fit, sounds almost unheard of for them to act this way. If you offer to bring the bumper to them and get them to fit it to your truck, is that not an option?

5. tbone23455

Vehicle?:
    '13 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I don't really know why they're acting this way. I know they were having some issues in the shop and were way behind, that's why my order was a month late, nd the owner had some family issues during this time, but I suspect they think that the bumper's fine, that I'm somehow messed up and don't know what I'm doing...although after I sent them the pics, I don't know why they'd still think that. I did talk to both Nick and Ryan after I sent the pics, and it seemed like they didn't look very closely at them. I wish I knew.
    I didn't offer anything...I shouldn't have to drive 10 hours round trip to prove the bumper doesn't fit. Pictures should do that. I wonder if they sent me one for the wrong model truck? Maybe they sent me a Gen 2 Raptor bumper, I dunno.

mustangbesos likes this.
  6. mustangbesos

Vehicle?:
    2010 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Tuxedo Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Sounds completely fucked up, hope they make it right. Call them again Monday and ask what they will do for you. Doubt they will call you before that

tbone23455 likes this.
  7. dly

dly Member Public Safety

I just brought one of their front bumpers. Came on time and had a body shop install it. They told me there were some problems (drilling new holes in my frame ) with making it fit. But it was on and looks good. Their ad states that a 40" radius light bar will fit. I brought a 40" radius light bar and went to install it and there is 42" between their tabs. When I e-mailed them to ask if I should have brought a 42" light bar, all I got were sent me a picture of what you are talking about and you brought a 40" straight bar. No I brought a 40" radius bar and e-mail them back with the manufacture (Arsenal). I get a reply of sent us a picture of your bumper so we can see your problem. WTF it's the same bumper that you made for me, check your blue prints. So I have given up with Rogue and will do what I got to do to install the 40" radius light bar myself. I hope you get better results.

See my pictures in my other post Install new bumper and winch.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    mustangbesos likes this.
  8. tbone23455

Vehicle?:
    '13 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    That sucks. Sounds like similar issues with the customer service (or lack of). Too bad. I'm going through the BBB right now and initiated a credit card dispute, as well as posting my experiences on as many forums as possible.

9. Big Bill

Big Bill Active Member Moderator Site Supporter Level 5

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2013 Whipple Raptor700+HP
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I am sorry to hear what you're going through. These companies start out with good intentions and at the same time make a lot of money from us Raptor enthusiasts. I spent over $35K in accessories to make my Raptor the way I wanted it. The bigger the company gets the more customers more orders more employees and sometimes they start to lose control of course things are going to go wrong but that is when you know what kind of business your dealing with some seem to forget what got them were they are. You are a guy that just got his Dream Truck and is looking to Mod it just the way you want it. Maybe call them and ask if they want you to take the bumper to a Mod shop and see if they can retrofit the bumper to make it fit on their dime.
    Good luck keep us posted.

10. dly

dly Member Public Safety

Light bar installed. IMG_20170320_102832683.jpg

tbone23455 and mustangbesos like this.