F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor well taken care of 2018 Raptor made it to 104,377 miles before she blew up! I am the original owner and no one has driven it exept me and dealership mechanics. It all started it Sept 2017. I got a phone call from the same salesman whom sold me my 2016 XLT and said I’m willing to take it back because a raptor has become available and your the first guy I thought of. Well I’m sure I’m the first fool he thought of. Lol. Long story short. At 16,000 miles in 2018 cam phasers blew. At 35,600 in 2019 cam phasers blew. At 56,000 in 2020 cam phasers blew. At 78,000 cam phasers blew. At 96,670 in 2021 cam phasers blew. Started hearing a noise on August 1, 2022. Took it in to the dealer and received a phone call saying we are sorry but we blew up your motor during the test drive. I was so pissed off and said wtf? It’s 5 years old and it’s long out of warranty. The engine pistons were blue. The crankshaft was blue. The four camshafts were blue. The engine oil pump failed and the mechanic didn’t know and drove it till it blew up. After calming down I decided to ask how much. They said 18,500. I said really. How do you arrive at that number. I then hung up with the dealership and called Ford Direct. I explained the situation and before I knew it they said we are willing to pickup 10,000 if you pay 3500.00. I did and agreed. Just got it back and the brand new engine and turbos are really working well. Just wanted to say Ford really stepped up when they didn’t have to. Thank you Ford!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
My poor well taken care of 2018 Raptor made it to 104,377 miles before she blew up! I am the original owner and no one has driven it exept me and dealership mechanics. It all started it Sept 2017. I got a phone call from the same salesman whom sold me my 2016 XLT and said I’m willing to take it back because a raptor has become available and your the first guy I thought of. Well I’m sure I’m the first fool he thought of. Lol. Long story short. At 16,000 miles in 2018 cam phasers blew. At 35,600 in 2019 cam phasers blew. At 56,000 in 2020 cam phasers blew. At 78,000 cam phasers blew. At 96,670 in 2021 cam phasers blew. Started hearing a noise on August 1, 2022. Took it in to the dealer and received a phone call saying we are sorry but we blew up your motor during the test drive. I was so pissed off and said wtf? It’s 5 years old and it’s long out of warranty. The engine pistons were blue. The crankshaft was blue. The four camshafts were blue. The engine oil pump failed and the mechanic didn’t know and drove it till it blew up. After calming down I decided to ask how much. They said 18,500. I said really. How do you arrive at that number. I then hung up with the dealership and called Ford Direct. I explained the situation and before I knew it they said we are willing to pickup 10,000 if you pay 3500.00. I did and agreed. Just got it back and the brand new engine and turbos are really working well. Just wanted to say Ford really stepped up when they didn’t have to. Thank you Ford!!!!
You should definitely use Bg engine performance oil changes. Your phaser problem will never happen again. Unless the tech can’t figure out how to set the tensioners correctly. But the phaser issue is your oil degradation. Once the orifices get gummed up your done, use products that work my man!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 platinum f150 about to get 4th set of phasers installed at 105k. Oil changes don’t fix the problem. Ford has done every service on my vehicle and they still will go out over and over again. Just sayin from experience.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sparky79. I appreciate it. Love the truck but hate the engine. Yes Gary 7399 it is a cam phaser nightmare for Ford. This cam phaser issue is hell. Ford will solve the issue only if they redesign the motor. That won’t be happening ever. This is the last dance with gasoline engines anyway according to Ford and the other manufacturers. 2024 and on they are supposed to only make engines for super duty trucks. Trust me guys I see a 6.7 diesel in my future. Electric is a joke. Electric Raptor? No way I’d ever buy an electric truck!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
2018 Leadfoot Raptor, stretched timing chain and phaser replacement at 29k miles. Sold at 49k miles for '21 Powerboost Platinum. Avoiding 3.5 HO EcoBust. #1 on list for Raptor R. And the miserable, noisy panoramic moonroof... Never again...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ford warranty is for 3 years 36,000. Plus a brand new engine and turbos. Let’s see how long it lasts this time. I’m surprised being 2 years out of warranty and 104,500 on the clock they did it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone whom purchased a TRX already out here has driven it for 1500 3000 miles. Every dealership has brand new (used) TRX on the lots. 8 miles to the gallon and a 25 gallon gas tank. Bad truck to own. 130,000. Raptor R already has huge problems. Ford messed up and broke the rule of design for a purpose. They pulled an engine from a race car which has problems of its own. Huge recall on the hand built engines. Gt500 and Gt350 owners extremely pissed off. Many had the engines removed and sent back to the factory. All because the tensioner on the cam phasers was not activated. This caused brand new engines to blow up. Raptor R has cam phasers. Has an aluminum block. Fords current Raptor R is blowing up. The aluminum block can’t handle the power as well as Dodges cast iron block. Just sayin. If you hated the issues with a 80,000 raptor. Try dealing with the problems of a truck that goes for 160,000 before tax liscence gap and extended warranty.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ford paid for the engine and everything. I paid for the turbos only. Totally fair deal as I will do anything to keep this truck. Even though it’s 5 years old it’s immaculate and I want to keep it that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts