F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just a thought from my rock crawling experience. You have the locker installed and the traction decent control system on the Raptor. However you have an independent front suspension system designed to allow each tire move independently from the other tire.

All of this serves to go fast over rough terrain. Had they had a solid front and rear axle then I would have expected them to have removable sway bars as you suggest because they would then be more critical to the articulation.

They were trying to find a happy medium. Take Jeep Rubicon for example, lockers front and rear, traction/sway disonnects front and rear. But the Rubicons purpose is only rock crawling. You get that vehicle moving fast and it gets real squirrely, it was not built for speed.

My thought is that Ford decided to make a desert prerunner "Baja style" but then realized they could add some basic features that would allow it to have decent rockcrawling ability. You start talking about sway bars and that is a completely higher level of rock crawling that they didnt want to get into.

These are just my opinions and observations based on driving a 72 Ford Bronco, and about 8 other 4x4 styles of vehicles for my work over 16 years.

I for one don't want the vehicle that can do it all because it eventually gets to big and cost to much. I would rather have the vehicle complete 1 or 2 major tasks and be happy about it.

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great points joker4x4.

An F150 is not suited for rock crawling anyway, just too big.
I drove a Jeep with the sway bars disconnected on the freeway and it was all over the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took the swaybars off of my Landrover D90. Great for off road but that rig would sway big time going around corners and braking from speed was eye opening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts