F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Annoying rattle in front end?
To all that have been plagued with the dredded clunk. Here is a remedy we have found to help with this issue.

We have worked on lots of raptors doing perch mods ect. We have found that the lower shock bolt must be tightened from the nut side only. This is due to the aluminum galling and holding the head of the bolt. Antiseize does help but ford designed the nut with a special built in washer allowing the nut to be tightened and spin at the same time while the washer is up against the aluminum We push Antiseize into the built in washer before we reinstall it and then tighten to 425 lbs which is a little over spec Tightening this much will squeeze the control arm enough to squeeze the lower shock mount like it should be. This process has eliminated virtually all the clunking cause by the shock. Take a look at how stout the control arm is in the shock mounting area, this is why it is so hard to squeeze the mount enough to tighten the lower shock bushing causing it to move in the mount. Ever truck I have taken apart the lower bolt wasn't tightens even close to spec.

The dealers don't have a clue on this. They dont even know the bolt should be tightened from the nut side. If you have access to a good impact gun pull the nut off the back, get some Antiseize in there including the threads and tighten it as much as it will go. Hold the front of the bolt with a breaker bar and socket. This can be done with the truck sitting on the ground or jacked up. Hope this helps. Dave

·
Registered
318 Posts
Dave that is super advice. A good impact gun with 180lbs. of air pressure will only maybe get this bolt to a couple hundred pounds, so your advice with the breaker bar is awesome. I use two Snap On 30 inch breaker bars to tighten my lower shock bolts. I personally use grease - I freakin hate anti SLEEZE... But, you're right Antiseize is the best for being there for years! All your advice is right on the money... Great posting this!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just remember to tighten from the nut side only. Grease works just as good for the tightening of the nut- the less friction the better.

The next time I have one apart I will take a picture of the nut.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Thanks Dave much appreciated!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no prob- keep in mind some need to be shimmed to get them tight- If any one needs any info let me know- Dave

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have been complaining about this noise since my truck was new.
19000 miles later and I am getting tired of it,Ford and Foxx says the shock noise is the way they are,they just won't listen to me,had in shop for two weeks and they did find upper strut mount was loose and some other stuff.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am in Pennsylvania,are these to be put in between the lower arm and shock bushings?
I have been talking to my dealer and they are very interested in these,Ford is being very
quiet about these trucks that have the front end noises,and they are saying these noises are normal.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there are used at the lower shock mount between the mount and shock. small pinion shims work best. You want to take a ride out to us so we can check it out?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I see your in northern NJ.
I will see if the dealer here can help me first.
Thanks for the info,much appreciated!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Dave knows his shit! I got the perch mod done at his shop. When it went in it had the clunk, when it left no more clunk.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anytime if they want to talk to me have them call me 973 7698837 And thanks for kudos Nick.

Keep a look out for the announcement for our raptor open house on July 14. All raptor owners get 2 runs on the Dyno no charge and we will have the shop open to check out. Might do a demo on the front end clunk or perch mod. Not sure yet. Just want all customer new and current to come hang out. Coffee and food also.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts