F-150 Raptor Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
My Raptor is going into the Ford Dealership again tomorrow to get my front-end done. I am getting very irritated with this clunking noise and will not tolerate it any longer. Supposedly they will have a Ford Engineer in the area to assist if need be. I have copied down your number Dave and these tips which will be passed on to the shop foreman. Keep those fingers crossed for me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I finally convinced my dealer to try to torque up my lower shock bolt. I had to show them a work order that HammerheadFL had from his dealership before they even considered doing it. I also showed them the fix posted here by KHC Dave.

The funny thing is they (and apparently most other dealers) don't even have a torque wrench that goes high enough to perform this. They told me they used a big cheater bar and took it as tight as they could get it. My work order actually says they took it to 500ftlbs, haha. In the end I think it helped a bit but I thought I could still feel the clunk in my gas pedal and steering over sharp bumps. Maybe I'm just too picky.

So I decided to move on and did the perch mod this morning to the middle point (easy mod and excellent outcome). No more clunk!! I guess that extra bit of pre-load did the trick. I wanted to exhaust all effort to get warranty to fix this before doing the perch mod but in the end it looks like between the dealer torquing up the mount and the perch mod it's taken care of.

Excellent help from this forum, thanks guys!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Front end clunk

Dave, it is Chris. You guys are working on my Raptor today and tomorrow. Do you know if they tightened the bolt on the shock when they did my perch adjustment?
It was great to meet you all today. That is some shop!!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey Chris,
You are all set. They always follow the sequence for tightening I set up, but I always verify they do which I checked while I was there yesterday. Thanks for the support and have fun with the truck.

PS- Take a look at the prototype rock guard steps I am working on when you pick up the truck and let me know what you think. First set should be complete end of next week.

Dave

·
Registered
102 Posts
Funny that this thread has died, thought this was a wide spread problem. I thought my issue was fixed after I did the middle perch mod and had Ford tighten up the front shock bolt but with the the colder weather the rattling is back.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
try retightening the lower bolt. I am going to look into a replacement lower bolt that is possible up sized to fit tighter in the lower mount

·
Registered
474 Posts
try retightening the lower bolt. I am going to look into a replacement lower bolt that is possible up sized to fit tighter in the lower mount
That would be GREAT! I can't wait..... :smiley_thumbs_up: :smiley_thumbs_up:
I dread seeing bumps in the road that I'll have to listen to the clunk. :shakehead:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Any further thoughts on the upsized bolt Dave? It sounds like the threads might stretch too far up the bolt from the other thread noted here. Is that something you've noticed as well? I haven't tried to take it apart as I don't have the capability to torque to > 400ftlbs to put it back together. I'm getting too tired trying to fight this battle with Ford...

·
Registered
102 Posts
No problem man, does sound like you might be on to something though so will watch this space.

I somewhat fixed the problem yesterday. I installed a MBRP Black exhaust system. Now I can't hear anything else!!

21 - 40 of 71 Posts