F-150 Raptor Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've given up with this. I spent many endless hours and went through three different dealers trying to get this addressed. The last dealer actually agreed with me that there was a problem as a new one on the lot didn't do it and when they tightened the "Blue Bolt" to 425ftlbs (using my torque wrench as they didn't have one) the noise went away for a couple days. We took it to Ford Customer service and even the Area Rep agreed that there was a problem. Then all stopped and Ford told the dealer that it was a normal characteristic of the truck and that they were to leave my truck alone and not perform any further repairs. They would not tell me that and refused to talk with me about their decision.

Whatever the case they are going to ignore the problem and the word is getting out to the dealers. They've even begun putting a disclaimer in their adverts about the noise being normal. Check out the video link below, the last few seconds explain the noise and state that it's normal.

Enough said. Time to enjoy the rest of the truck and drive the crap out of it so eventually new Icon's or King's will be needed. They supposedly don't make this noise according to others on this forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8zQAjyGJs0

·
Registered
382 Posts
A second dealer turned me down without even taking my truck for a test drive.. they said "It's a Raptor thing" (-.-)

Maybe after I get done with the T56 Magnum swap in my Stang I'll look into fixing my brand new $50k+ truck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The noise I heard at the end of info commercial is NOT the same clunking I hear and feel in the truck. I think ford is high on something and don't have a clue what the clunking and rattle I hear. I will never buy another "F ing" ford and letting everyone I meet that ask me about this "cool" truck what crappy support ford motor company has provided on this $50k vehicle and not standing behind it. I now have 37k miles on this rattle bucket.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My problem is $2500 for front Icons, that is a real chunk of change and what if the clunk/rattle is still there after replacement! That is my concern I need to know 100 percent what the problem is. New ICONS for the front is 5 percent of what I paid for my truck. I need to know the root cause of the rattle.

I don't have my Raptor yet, still waiting. The detailed pics seem to show a lot of clearance between bolt and the holes in the arm. If torquing tighter eliminates the noise at least temporarily I suspect that it's just squeezing the sides of the arm tight to the shock. I haven't read anything on the width of the opening and the width of the shock where the bolt passes through. Seems like some tolerances are too sloppy letting the shock flop. If the Icon doesn't clunk perhaps it's a tighter fit in the opening?

Does anyone know if there is slop between the shock and the opening inside the arm?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree completely, the CLUNK is not normal shock noise. I got myself a big f'ing torque wrench and retorque it every few weeks. Only helps for a few days and then back to the clunking. It's definitely a problem with the lower mount.
KHC Dave explained that the icons have a different lower mount set up and there is no clunk. Icon is supposedly working on a 2.5 version of their shock that will be closer to the level of the stock Fox that our trucks come with. Hopefully they'll use the same lower mount setup and be more reasonably priced for those of us who don't do extreme offroading. Maybe wait for for these.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That would be good, only hope that the shocks are the root cause after all the investigation by forum members. Again thanks ford for all your help and also those svt engineers. I think you maybe over paid.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Its been a few months since my last post on the CLUNK issue, but again I find my truck back at the Ford Dealer for a different noise now apparently coming from the rear suspension. The CLUNK or rattle is loudest (most pronounced) coming from right behind the driver seat when taking left, off-camber turns with small bumps (on or offroad). The noise sounds like my exhaust is rattling or my wheel is about to fall off.

Long Story Short: They swapped my rear shocks from each side (rotated them) and they now claim the CLUNK is gone. :i_rolleyes:

*I have already had my front coil overs replaced, under warranty for a "suspension oscillation noise" back in January. My dealership is at least continuing to humor me in this situation, and offering some level of customer service.

I go in tomorrow to test drive with the service manager and will report back.

Honestly, if this fails. I'm dropping $4000 on Kings front and rear. I haven't heard of anyone on this forum having the clunk with aftermarket shocks. OR?:kap:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dave,

You sir are a genius! I just bought my raptor last week and immediately noticed front end clunk..so I jumped on Google and searched for known issues..this thread came up..I read it...printed it and took it to a ford dealer...I gave it to my technician that was working on a car and told him to do exactly what it says here...guy was super nice..did it and it (torqued it to 425) made it all go away. Love driving my truck now!

Tech guy agreed that it wasn't even close to the factory specks

Thanks again for a great write up!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does anyone have a known fix so far? i know the shocks clunk that doesnt bug me its the other clunk/slop ting noise i hear from what sounds like the shock not being snug in the lower control arm. Has replacing the shocks with Icon 3.0 fixed it FOR SURE? i want to fix this no matter what it costs and after 8 weeks at the dealership they are telling me they give up and cant fix it so im just hoping someone has a solid answer at this point im almost considering new LCA and icons not that i bash my truck much but i dont know how else to fix this . and any idea on if icon 2.5 is ever going to be a real thing

·
2,584 Posts
Dave,

You sir are a genius! I just bought my raptor last week and immediately noticed front end clunk..so I jumped on Google and searched for known issues..this thread came up..I read it...printed it and took it to a ford dealer...I gave it to my technician that was working on a car and told him to do exactly what it says here...guy was super nice..did it and it (torqued it to 425) made it all go away. Love driving my truck now!

Tech guy agreed that it wasn't even close to the factory specks

Thanks again for a great write up!

I agree Dave is the Man:smileup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have replaced every part of the front suspension and still have the clunk! I personally torqued the nut to 450 as well. I even tried replacing the front shocks with 3.0s and new factory shocks. Still have the clunk. It’s real annoying. I am going to try the shims at some pint I guess. Anyone actually fix this issue with anything I missed? I just hit 50k on it and has been clunking since day one.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts