F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased a 2014 Raptor with 60,000 miles. Very clean truck, I just seem to have a couple concerns I can’t shake.

When going over small bump, like man hole covers, cracks, potholes, I hear a jarring/ thud noise and the suspension just doesn’t seem to be a “smooth and floating” sensation like I was hoping. Today I was out on dirt roads and at low speeds, minor washboard and bumps just seemed rough. At high speeds, it feels like a magic carpet.

I had one mechanic tell me that the front tie rods had play in them and that was the noise. Had another mechanic tell me noise was normal and it was fine.

should I consider a shock rebuild? Stock shock upgrade? Flutter valve upgrade? I don’t really have any knowledge on these subjects.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have 150,000 miles on 2 sets of FOX SHOX. Both started leaking around 70,000 miles. When they need to be replaced, the truck will nose dive under heavy braking and it also pulls towards uneven pavement. It tracks the groves in the road. Not to mention, you can visually see the struts leaking. Your clunk in the front end sound is interested. My tie rods, sway bar end links, control arms, and brake calipers are all rock solid. No play, no sound, no noise. Occasional, I get a popping sound from the front. Maybe it's the spring moving on the perch in my opinion. I can help determine if your struts are bad or not, that's about it over the interwebs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2011 with 150K on it.
I had the same issue, so I had the shocks rebuilt at a local 4x4 shop and it went away.
Have done it twice now.
So the 70K Rajun mentioned seems pretty close.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I get a wheel hop when on highway , is that shocks or something else? I do not see signs of leakage and the ride is firm, not soft

·
Registered
2 Posts
117,000, i purchased with 88000 4 years ago,was told it was dealers personal truck he used to commute 50 miles each way, not sure if shocks ever changed

·
Registered
199 Posts
If those are original SHOX and never been serviced, they gotta go. Look into new suspension. AT Least, at the very least. Order two new fox shox struts for the front end and use the original spring you have. They $350 each for strut

1 - 8 of 8 Posts