F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been told for years, the trade offs of linking the rear. That the truck would handle like a marshmallow on the road and loose daily drivability, that they cant tow, loose the bed, relocate gas tank, cage the cab etc.

The Gen 3 raptor (not to mention Ram TRX) seems to gain more credibility every day that its running a five link rear end. The Gen 3 is reportedly capable of towing 8000 lbs, and taking corners with 4 wheels on the ground....and has a full bed.

Could this geometry and setup be used on our Gen 1's to make them streetable as well as increased performance off road?(Tweaked for more travel of course) I understand concessions would have to be made in terms of bedspace for a rack, gas tank relocation and such, but at its core, a linked truck capable of serious off roading, towing a boat to the lake, and hauling a couple motorcycles would be incredilbe.

Is it possible?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You could probably adapt the newer suspension, it would take quite a bit of fabrication. Adding more travel is where the street downsides come in.

The factory link suspension is optimized over a broad range of conditions and uses, and will sacrifice one area to gain performance in another.

Nobody wants to go through all that work just to have stock level capabilities. If they are going to develop a link kit it is optimized for off-road.

Not all of the towing capacity comes from the new linked suspension, they are constantly reinforcing the chassis and developing new tuning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey there! Good question, a custom link kit on on a gen 1 should only be done in the name of performance. The reason I say this is because it will cost way to much to only give it 15 inches of travel in the rear (I say 15 because that is the spec of the gen 3) while a traditional link kit can get you over 30 inches of travel. Yes, towing will be dramatically reduced, you’ll be lucky to hold an extra 400 lbs of weight on the rear end. The gen 3 can get away with an 8,000 towing capacity because the vast majority of them will be used as regular trucks, and never see dirt. So ford designed them to be a good work truck with extreme off-road ability as far as a stock truck goes. I hope this makes sence. Good luck with the build!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts