Gen 1 Vs. Gen 2?

Discussion in 'Newbie Check In!' started by MagneticMonster, Feb 7, 2018.

Tags:
?

Gen 1 or Gen 2

1. Gen 1

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Gen 2

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. MagneticMonster

MagneticMonster New Member

Vehicle?:
    2016 F-150
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Hello everyone,

So my current truck that I leased is a 2016 XLT Special edition 5.0. While I love my truck, I’ve always been interested in the Raptor and with graduation approaching quickly, I’m looking to possibly purchase one. That said, which truck do most you own/prefer? I’m open to either generation, though I have a slight bias to V8s. For the ecoboost owners, how have they held up? That’s my only concern with the ecoboost and I want to buy a platform that will last me 10+ years. I definitely like the features and benefits that the Gen 2 has over the Gen 1, I just want to see how robust the powertrain has been for the majority of owners. Thanks in advance!

Rapdav18 and RAPTOR2 like this.
  2. Rapdav18

Rapdav18 Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2018 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    I had the same truck. 2016 F150 xlt 5.0 V8. I did exactly what your thinking of doing. I cannot believe how much power this engine has stock 450hp and 510 ftlbs of torque and the 10 speed transmission is increadable. I have no regrets. I highly recommend it and would buy one all over again. It is everything you will ever want and more! Love this truck. 2018 magnetic 802a Screw. Just to add the Gen 1 is an exceptional truck too and has a great following. Big Bill has a perfect example of Balistic Power with his Gen 1.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    MagneticMonster and Big Bill like this.
  3. LZinAZ

LZinAZ New Member Military

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Not sure I'm qualified to answer but I had a 2004 F-150 4 x 4 with a 5.4L I was happy with but coveted every Raptor that drove by. I, however, rolled my '04 so had to find something different. I looked at new Raptors but couldn't deal with the $80,000 plus so I looked for a lightly used one. I found a 2014 Super Crew with about 47K on it and made a deal in late August 2017. I read in the forum a few days ago a dude found a '14 SCREW with a about 2K on it; wish I'd have found that one first but I'm happy with mine. I've got the 6.2L V8 and really like the performance. So far as I can tell it is about bone stock. I happened upon a guy at a rest stop while on a trip and he had a 2017 (?) with the V6. He'd traded his '10 (?) with a V8 in it and said the performance is about the same. I know his V6 didn't sound like my V8. I've read a lot of comments about the difference in the sound of the motors. Although I do like the idea of better gas mileage, here in the mountains I'm lucky to get 14MPG (lower altitude would help). I've got about 3x your years and plan to keep my Raptor for at least 10 years and it might be something I'll leave to my heirs since I can't take it along.

I'd suggest, if you aren't in a hurry, to look around for a good used one with mileage as low as you can find. My only parameters were low mileage and I didn't want a dark color; Arizona dust don't you know. I ended up with the darker of the two reds. I'm color blind but my wife likes the burgundy red, I'm not sure what its called, and I've had several compliments from strangers walking by in parking lots. Set up your own parameters and look around. If you can't find what you want to spend your money on then get a new one. Many of them are advertised here or you can find one in Michigan nearer to you.

Hope this gives you some thoughts to consider,
    LZinAZ

4. Rapdav18

Rapdav18 Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2018 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    I totally agree with LZ in AZ. Its a mortgage. Shhhhhh don't tell the wife you bought a condo/Raptor. lol Yes its expensive. I just keep making that 1200 dollar payment each month. 5 payments down only 55 months to go. Again, shhhhhh just don't tell the wife. Then get your dream toytruck. Major reason to own a Raptor is no other truck or car manufactured by all companies holds or has a resale value like a Ford Raptor. It is Rock1966 tested and R2 approved. This truck has got every feature you could ever get in a vehicle. If your ever near Fenton Michigan go into Lasco Ford. You will love what you see! They sell Super Raptors.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    MagneticMonster likes this.
  5. castine917

castine917 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2010 ford raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I've had two 2010s. Both SCabs. One a 6.2 and the other a 5.4. Haven't driven a 2017/18 yet. Went to look at a Shelby Raptor. Did not care for the sound on startup or idle. Being a picky bastich, I walked away. Should have at least test drove it for a comparison.

6. MagneticMonster

Vehicle?:
    2016 F-150
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Hi everyone, thank you all for your comments and experiences! I do have a good amount of time before I have to make a decision but I like to get things somewhat figured out well ahead of of time. I am hoping to be able to test drive one of each over the coming months and that will most likely to determine which generation I will choose. Unfortunately, I've been very spoiled by the features my current truck has like the panoramic sunroof and the LED bed lights which I use all the time so I'm already liking the 2017s :D. Thanks again for all of your inputs and I'll give an update once I'm able to drive each truck!

Rapdav18 likes this.
  7. Rapdav18

Rapdav18 Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2018 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Mag Monster/If your ever in Las Vegas you can test drive my 2018. The 17 and 18 is the same.

8. MagneticMonster

Vehicle?:
    2016 F-150
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Thanks Rapdav! I'll definitely keep that in mind if I visit!

Rapdav18 likes this.