F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having problems getting their Raptor into 4xLow? My new 6.2 L Raptor seems to have trouble getting itself into 4xLow when following the slow to 3-5 mph, shift into neutral and then into 4x Low procedure. Mine often won't make the shift in 5-10 seconds in neutral - and then I coast to a stop and have to put in back into 2x4 or 4xHigh to get moving again. Kind of irritating. Do I need to take it back to the dealer for service?? Has anyone else had problems getting their Raptor into 4xLow??

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
I tried mine today for the first time. I've always had 4x4's and it's pretty common practice to come to a full stop and put the truck in nuetral before going into 4 low otherwise it's too much strain on the driveline whether it's designed to work at 3-5 mph or not. I don't think there is anything wrong with your truck, mine does th same thing, but if I come to a full stop it goes into 4 low within 2 seconds everytime.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Put the truck in 4Hi and coast to a stop in neutral, engage 4Lo. Smooth as butter. Sometimes it helps to backup a bit after disengaging 4x4. I prefer using nuetral over Park because of the strain on the drive train.
Reddog...

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have never been rolling when I switch over to 4LO, always come to a complete stop........have any of you seen what happens inside the transfer case when you switch to 4LO? Rolling while trying to switch into 4LO is a great way to grenade it...........and shifting into neutral while rolling ain't going to cut it either, all that does is disengages the tranny from the motor, PARTS INSIDE THE TRANNY AND T/C ARE STILL MOVING :shakehead:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!! I'll try the stopped approach & see if that works better. Appreciate the help! Other than the 4xLow challenge, this is one amazing truck!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
#%$*! - I just ran out and tried the change to 4 x Low after coasting to a stop in neutral and it only worked 1 out of 5 times. The other 4 times it wouldn't go into 4 Low at all!! There must be some problem with the 4xLow transmission...

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
Don't coast in nuetral, drive to a stop in gear, but it in nuetral after you stop, then put it into 4 low, should work just fine. In nuetral coasting the transmission gears could still be moving, try and let us good old boys know :)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Put your truck in 4Hi and drive a small distance. Come to a stop putting your gear-shifter in neutral. Turn the knob to 4Lo. It has to work. I always reverse the procedure going back into 4x2 and never shift between 4x2 into 4Lo. Again, when I'm in 4Lo I come to a stop and put my gear shift in neutral and turn the 4x4 knob back to 4Hi, then drive a short distance and stop putting my gearshift in 4x2. Hope this helps, you'll get it.
Reddog...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys, Thanks for all the help. However, none of it worked! Finally took 'er in into the shop this week and found out (after they took apart the transfer case) that the "trust washer" was missing. The dealer ordered a whole new transfer case - as you can't just get the thrust washer part alone and reassemble the transfer case. So by next week I'll have a brand new transfer case and an operation 4xLow. Appreciate all of your help... I was feeling kind of stupid last week when nothing was working on the 4xLow engagement. Not sure if this was an assembly line error or if I somehow blew the thrust washer apart on some early off-roading in 4xLow. They didn't mention finding any broken pieces in the transfer case. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Guys, Thanks for all the help. However, none of it worked! Finally took 'er in into the shop this week and found out (after they took apart the transfer case) that the "trust washer" was missing. The dealer ordered a whole new transfer case - as you can't just get the thrust washer part alone and reassemble the transfer case. So by next week I'll have a brand new transfer case and an operation 4xLow. Appreciate all of your help... I was feeling kind of stupid last week when nothing was working on the 4xLow engagement. Not sure if this was an assembly line error or if I somehow blew the thrust washer apart on some early off-roading in 4xLow. They didn't mention finding any broken pieces in the transfer case. Any ideas?
Some one left it out.....OOOOPS...Dam humans...:D...Glad to see they got you fixed up...I'm relay surprised that the transfer case got out of the plant with that washer missing . There are a lot of checks that happen down the line that look for things like this...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Off the lot the 4 xLow worked intermittently, so maybe the thing can engage 4 xLow without the thrust washer, but not as intended (i.e. dependably). It's either that or the thrust washer got destroyed in some early off roading in 4x Low. But I would be surprised if it's a part failure with all of the testing they put this truck though - no?:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Off the lot the 4 xLow worked intermittently, so maybe the thing can engage 4 xLow without the thrust washer, but not as intended (i.e. dependably). It's either that or the thrust washer got destroyed in some early off roading in 4x Low. But I would be surprised if it's a part failure with all of the testing they put this truck though - no?:4-dontknow:
I realy dont think the thrust washer was ever there..If it would have came apart while in use there would have been a lot of colateril damage..Little steal peices dont roll through gear meshes at all..lolol...It missing in the first place would explain your intermittent engagement of the 4x low.There was to much side clearance on the jack shaft causing the cog's and dog's to not fully mesh..
Glad they took care of it for ya..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts